Best way to quickly heal knee injury?

I have been looking around for some good advice. I recently hurt my knee, recovered some, and re-injured it. I am quite sure nothing is broken. The doctor i have ( I am in USA and you know how the doctors situation is out here) is not of much use. They simply say rest the knee. and take NSAIDs ( non steroidal anti inflamatory drugs). I have done some research online, and it seems using the NSAID drugs is not recommended. It is also advised to exercise the knee in a manner that does not put weight on it. How soon should I start doing re-hab exersizes, and how often should I do them? I fear that if I rest too heavily, my legs will weaken and make the recovery even longer. Right now I can walk around the house more or less fine, though I start to feel discomfort if I stand for too long. Should I make myself do some rehab exercises even if it hurts ?

thanks guys, I am quite clueless when it comes to medical issues ( I am en engineer/mechanic)

Take my advice with a grain of salt (not a doctor or physical therapist) , but I have injured my knee before during a long distance hiking trip. The total trip was about 2,500 miles, and I injured it about 100 miles in but was able to heal and finish the entire hike. Idk what your injury is like/where on the knee, or how serious the injury is, but for me, rest was definitely the most effective. I had to take quite a few days off in order to get it to a point that didn't hurt to walk anymore. I also used a knee brace/stabilizer which helped a lot. Also, I iced it like crazy. I occasionally took Ibuprofen to help with reducing inflammation, but be careful not to take it long term or too much since it can hurt your liver. Unfortunately, you can't really hurry the process to finish. Be wary of thinking it's healed, and then reinjuring it. Another annoying thing that can happen is injuring your other knee from compensating for the other knee. Anyway...sorry about your knee! There's my unqualified anecdote, hope it helps.

I would suggest seeing a physical therapist (PT), someone who can come to your home, if it hasn't improved in a few days. A good one should be able to identify whether it's a sprain or something more serious. I've had knee problems that turned out to be tied to thigh and lower back tightness, so it's not always one thing and "rehab" isn't focused on the apparent problem area. Do not do exercises or do activities that cause pain. Assuming it's not something more serious, it should heal with time but don't "test" it. Depending on your age and fitness level it could take days of rest and minimal use, or longer. Do not worry about your legs weakening, that takes a long time. If this becomes a chronic injury it will hurt you far more than minor muscle atrophy. You could get one of those soft knee sleeves as well, that helped me, even if only as a reminder to be careful with it.

Sounds like you need to see an orthopedic surgeon, to get an accurate diagnosis. Without that, you could be doing more damage, than good.

I tore an ACL when I was 17, and did not get it properly diagnosed for nearly three years. At that point, I was nearly cripple.

Here is some advice for finding a good orthopedic. Go to ones at sports clinics, not general orthopedic clinics. About 20 years ago, I was searching for a new orthopedic, since the Dr. that fixed me had retired. I made an appointment with a Dr. in a general orthopedic clinic, based on a friend's recommendation. The first thing I noticed was that all of the patients in the waiting room were morbidly obese, hence joint issues. The doctor was not very helpful, and he did not want to listen to a word I said. After just a few minutes, he said the only solution was a total knee replacement.

Luckily, my brother's orthopedic was a well known doctor here, that worked for a sports clinic. He took care of me for the next ten years, until he died. I liked him, and we had a good, trusting relationship, just like I had with the doctor that originally fixed me.

Here is my hypothesis. In the sports clinics, you will see a lot of young/athletic patients, that want to get well. The will do the rehab that it takes to succeed.

In the general orthopedic clinics, the patients are generally older, out of shape, and not willing to do the physical therapy to get better. The patient gets upset, and blames the doctor. In this case, I think the orthopedic eventually become cynical to his work and patients.

On the other hand, doctors in the sports clinics get to see good results, which in turn makes them happier to be able to help.

Unfortunately, you can't really hurry the process to finish. Be wary of thinking it's healed, and then reinjuring it. Another annoying thing that can happen is injuring your other knee from compensating for the other knee. Anyway...sorry about your knee! There's my unqualified anecdote, hope it helps.
Actually injuring one knee from compensating for the other knee is precisely what happened. I thought I had serious issues for being the only one with that problem. I have now learned to be very careful about not letting that sort of thing happen. Thas is very cool you managed to recover and continue on your journey. How long did it take you to recover more or less ?

In the general orthopedic clinics, the patients are generally older, out of shape, and not willing to do the physical therapy to get better. The patient gets upset, and blames the doctor. In this case, I think the orthopedic eventually become cynical to his work and patients. On the other hand, doctors in the sports clinics get to see good results, which in turn makes them happier to be able to help.
I will try your advice on the sports clinic if the problem does not go away soon. I think that my doctor probably has a similar problem where the patients don't put the effort into getting better.

I appreciate the replies, not like on reddit where I got banned for asking this question in the physical therapy group (apparently it is only for phsyical therapy workers)

Jesu Juva

Sparrow
Cold essential oils creams and just chilling. When healed, push ups five days a week, that train the entire body and 16 hours between evening dinner and lunch and an apple everyday. That is my holistic method.

IM3000

Pelican
I had knee surgery at the beginning of the year. Moving the joint is key. Don't rest it unless you can't move at all. Cycling is great. Get yourself a balance board to do exercises on and some elastic bands, as well. Strengthening and also stretching the muscles is very important.

But whatever you do, the first step should be a visit to a physiotherapist. Get one who is frequented by athletes and who knows his craft. I did PT for 6 months after my surgery, makes all the difference. Good luck.

RonaldB

Sparrow
I have been looking around for some good advice. I recently hurt my knee, recovered some, and re-injured it. I am quite sure nothing is broken. The doctor i have ( I am in USA and you know how the doctors situation is out here) is not of much use. They simply say rest the knee. and take NSAIDs ( non steroidal anti inflamatory drugs). I have done some research online, and it seems using the NSAID drugs is not recommended. It is also advised to exercise the knee in a manner that does not put weight on it. How soon should I start doing re-hab exersizes, and how often should I do them? I fear that if I rest too heavily, my legs will weaken and make the recovery even longer. Right now I can walk around the house more or less fine, though I start to feel discomfort if I stand for too long. Should I make myself do some rehab exercises even if it hurts ?

thanks guys, I am quite clueless when it comes to medical issues ( I am en engineer/mechanic)

This is what you're looking for. Read the whole thread. There's good info there. I myself considering signing up for ATG online.

I had knee surgery at the beginning of the year. Moving the joint is key. Don't rest it unless you can't move at all. Cycling is great. Get yourself a balance board to do exercises on and some elastic bands, as well. Strengthening and also stretching the muscles is very important.

But whatever you do, the first step should be a visit to a physiotherapist. Get one who is frequented by athletes and who knows his craft. I did PT for 6 months after my surgery, makes all the difference. Good luck.
I can currently flex my knee. If I am moving it back and forth with no weight on it (while hanging from a bar, sitting), I just feel a bit of a discomfort but not outright pain. Would you say moving the knee back and forth with no weight on it daily is a good idea. Walking and standing do not seem to really move the joint much. I will get to doing some unweighted squats and swimming and maybe cycling soon hopefully.

Sorry but there is only one salient point in this whole thread.

Which is that you don't know what is wrong.

Until you get the answer to that all the creams, ice, potions in the world will not matter.

Quite familiar with knee injuries - they can screw up people's lives.

Get 2nd 3rd opinions but:

a) find the best, most rated sports physiotherapist you can. Be prepared if necessary to travel to see them. Someone like that can look at the soles of your shoes and work out what your movement issues were prior to your getting injured.

b) I have known people undergoing surgery before the useless doctors and physios could actually work out what was wrong with the knee. whatever you do, do not open the knee up unless you have absolutely no choice and have exhausted every other avenue.

c) I had an ace physio at the same time I went to the bog standard one that my insurance sent me to. The good physio identified so much stuff that I had a library of diagnosis and things to do that made a difference immediately. The bad physio had no idea what was actually the problem, gave me generic exercises and seriously told me that I was just 'getting old' and that if I was playing sport to 'use the other leg more'. Told the good physio he just laughed.
Meanwhile the good physio traced one of the different issues to my torso where he felt there was a blockage near my spine. I wanted a scan, my doctor and the other physio went mad trying to shoot the idea down. Eventually I said "refer me I will pay for it out of my pocket'.
Got the scan - big tumour on my kidney. Oh sooorrrrryyyy says the other physio, my doctor (being a woman) refused to look me in the eye or communicate with me in full sentences again. I changed doctor.

Nothing means anything until you get a diagnosis from a sports physiotherapist who is highly respected in their field.

You won't have any idea if you are helping or hindering, making no difference or even damaging your knee.

IM3000

Pelican
I can currently flex my knee. If I am moving it back and forth with no weight on it (while hanging from a bar, sitting), I just feel a bit of a discomfort but not outright pain. Would you say moving the knee back and forth with no weight on it daily is a good idea. Walking and standing do not seem to really move the joint much. I will get to doing some unweighted squats and swimming and maybe cycling soon hopefully.
Depending on what the issue is, swimming might not be the best idea. Cycling is better as you move the joint without load. By doing so blood circulation is increased and the cartilage gets soaked nicely. Also, a massage ball might help.

In any case, knee pain can stem from a variety of reasons. The issue might come from cartilage damage or a completely different part of your kinetic chain. Go see a PT and/or Orthopedic doctor who specializes in this area. They'll do a few quick test (e.g. McMaster) to determine if you have an issue with your ACL, Meniscus, etc. Be aware though that most docs will push for surgery since they'll get paid the most for it.

Sorry but there is only one salient point in this whole thread.

Which is that you don't know what is wrong.

Until you get the answer to that all the creams, ice, potions in the world will not matter.

Nothing means anything until you get a diagnosis from a sports physiotherapist who is highly respected in their field.

You won't have any idea if you are helping or hindering, making no difference or even damaging your knee.
Go see a PT and/or Orthopedic doctor who specializes in this area. They'll do a few quick test (e.g. McMaster) to determine if you have an issue with your ACL, Meniscus, etc. Be aware though that most docs will push for surgery since they'll get paid the most for it.
I have been doing better lately , but am still far from fully healed. I will be visiting a sports doctor soon. Hopefully the diagnosis won't be too severe, and they can come up with a revoery plan that can get me back in the gym and lifting.
Thanks all for the good advice!