Bible Verse Thread

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Great thread idea.

In the Bible is the healing of the paralytic. Our Lord Jesus Christ forgave the sins of the man, which in the material world we live in, (and the Pharisees) is invisible. Their question becomes their answer "Who can forgive sins but God alone".

This also reminds us that the forgiveness of sins is more important than physical healing. Initially, Jesus forgave his sins but did not heal him. That was more than enough, as the paralytic man had faith. This is the greater gift, something for people to remember, that the invisible is greater than the visible.

Luke 5:17-24 Douay Rheims And it came to pass on a certain day, as he sat teaching, that there were also Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, that were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judea and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was to heal them. [18] And behold, men brought in a bed a man, who had the palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. [19] And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in, because of the multitude, they went up upon the roof, and let him down through the tiles with his bed into the midst before Jesus. [20] Whose faith when he saw, he said: Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.

[21] And the scribes and Pharisees began to think, saying: Who is this who speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone? [22] And when Jesus knew their thoughts, answering, he said to them: What is it you think in your hearts? [23] Which is easier to say, Thy sins are forgiven thee; or to say, Arise and walk? [24] But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,) I say to thee, Arise, take up thy bed, and go into thy house. [25] And immediately rising up before them, he took up the bed on which he lay; and he went away to his own house, glorifying God.

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker

John 14:30 KJV​

Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me.

Jesus is getting the disciples ready for His crucifixion. He says the devil is the ruler of the world and is coming for them. Even so, the devil has nothing on Jesus. No power, authority, wisdom on Him and no deceit, corruption, and sin in Him.

FarmerBrown

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
2 Corinthians 4:8-10:

We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained; perplexed, but not driven to despair persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body

With the events of the past year, it could be easy to fall into despair. These verses have helped me a lot as of late to remember that despair has no point as God is in control and He is good.

bucky

Ostrich
I've been wondering about the bolded part below ever since coming across it in personal Bible study the other night. Surrounding verses included for context.

Ecclesiastes 7, 15-18:

15 All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness.

16 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself ?

17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

18 It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from this withdraw not thine hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth of them all.

tychomaz

Sparrow
2 Corinthians 4:8-10:

We are afflicted in every way, but not constrained; perplexed, but not driven to despair persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our body

With the events of the past year, it could be easy to fall into despair. These verses have helped me a lot as of late to remember that despair has no point as God is in control and He is good.
My favorite chapter from 2 Corinthians. I like the verse before too:

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Our flesh is like a clay pot, so frail and fragile.

Here is a bible study on the full chapter:

DenizenJane

Woodpecker
I've been wondering about the bolded part below ever since coming across it in personal Bible study the other night. Surrounding verses included for context.
My fave OT book.

Some say Ecclesiastes is really writing down the thoughts of how worldly people view life, until the conclusion in the last verses.. Others take it as an affirmative advice chapter akin to Proverbs (they were both written by Solomon).

Maybe to have fun once in a while?? Not sure either.

bucky

Ostrich
My fave OT book.

Some say Ecclesiastes is really writing down the thoughts of how worldly people view life, until the conclusion in the last verses.. Others take it as an affirmative advice chapter akin to Proverbs (they were both written by Solomon).

Maybe to have fun once in a while?? Not sure either.
I was thinking that it might be similar to what's expressed in the famous "to everything there is a season" passage from Ecclesiastes 3:
1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Basically, moderation in all things, something I try to practice. Also it might be warning against the type of "righteousness" Christ talks about in Luke 18:
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
But I don't know for sure either. It was definitely one of those passages that made me say "wait...what?!!" when I read it.

FarmerBrown

Chicken
Orthodox Inquirer
My favorite chapter from 2 Corinthians. I like the verse before too:

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Our flesh is like a clay pot, so frail and fragile.

Here is a bible study on the full chapter:

Thanks for the link! Being as my faith is pretty young, I'll take any help I can get.

bucky

Ostrich
Another one of those "Wait...what?" passages, this one from Isaiah, chapter 23 (KJV):

16 Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet melody, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered.

17 And it shall come to pass after the end of seventy years, that the Lord will visit Tyre, and she shall turn to her hire, and shall commit fornication with all the kingdoms of the world upon the face of the earth.

18 And her merchandise and her hire shall be holiness to the Lord: it shall not be treasured nor laid up; for her merchandise shall be for them that dwell before the Lord, to eat sufficiently, and for durable clothing.

1 John 2:15

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him"

We are warned not to love the world or worldy things. A clear warning against materialism and getting consumed by earthly philosophies and passions. It is also connected to the first commandment, "You shall have no other gods before me". There is nothing and no one that we must love more than God. If we truly love God, we must be willing to give up everyone including ourselves and everything for him. Obsessions and addictions are not from God. Anything that attempts to place itself to be worshipped above God is not from God. We must reject the flase gods of Pride, Greed, Lust, Envy, Anger, Sloth, Gluttony, and Self.