Bible Verse Thread

Another one of those "Wait...what?" passages, this one from Isaiah, chapter 23 (KJV):

16 Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet melody, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered.

17 And it shall come to pass after the end of seventy years, that the Lord will visit Tyre, and she shall turn to her hire, and shall commit fornication with all the kingdoms of the world upon the face of the earth.

18 And her merchandise and her hire shall be holiness to the Lord: it shall not be treasured nor laid up; for her merchandise shall be for them that dwell before the Lord, to eat sufficiently, and for durable clothing.
I read the chapter and it mentions that it is a Prophecy against the city of Tyre. My understanding is that Tyre was something like a modern day New York City, a sort of financial capital. It had a famous port where a lot of trade was conducted. It seems the people of Tyre worshipped and glorified money and gave themselves up to fornication, whoredom and lustful pleasures.

Verse 16 seems to say the people of the city have prostituted themselves to the evils of greed and lust. And that Tyre should repent and publicly proclaim praises to God through song and melody.

Verse 17 seems to mention that after a period of 70 years (the lifetime of a king), they will lose any remaining traces of national identity as they are prostituted to one kingdom after another, foreign influences and cultures will rule over them.

Verse 18 seems to say all her spoils and riches shall be given to the righteous people who follow the Lord and who will use these resources for food and basic necessities.

So in a way we are given the picture of rich famous city filled with Greed and Pride. A city that flamboyantly sins in the face of God and his righteous people. A city that believes it is above all, above the laws of God. A city that believes it is a god. This city then faces the Judgement of God and his just punishment. Its wealth and lustful pusuits will corrupt it further so much that it will be abused and used by all the neighbouring cities it looked down upon. Its plunder and wealth will be stripped from it and given to the righteous.

This is in line with His Word that says, He humbles the proud, and He lifts up the humble.

bucky

Ostrich
I read the chapter and it mentions that it is a Prophecy against the city of Tyre. My understanding is that Tyre was something like a modern day New York City, a sort of financial capital. It had a famous port where a lot of trade was conducted. It seems the people of Tyre worshipped and glorified money and gave themselves up to fornication, whoredom and lustful pleasures.

Verse 16 seems to say the people of the city have prostituted themselves to the evils of greed and lust. And that Tyre should repent and publicly proclaim praises to God through song and melody.

Verse 17 seems to mention that after a period of 70 years (the lifetime of a king), they will lose any remaining traces of national identity as they are prostituted to one kingdom after another, foreign influences and cultures will rule over them.

Verse 18 seems to say all her spoils and riches shall be given to the righteous people who follow the Lord and who will use these resources for food and basic necessities.

So in a way we are given the picture of rich famous city filled with Greed and Pride. A city that flamboyantly sins in the face of God and his righteous people. A city that believes it is above all, above the laws of God. A city that believes it is a god. This city then faces the Judgement of God and his just punishment. Its wealth and lustful pusuits will corrupt it further so much that it will be abused and used by all the neighbouring cities it looked down upon. Its plunder and wealth will be stripped from it and given to the righteous.

This is in line with His Word that says, He humbles the proud, and He lifts up the humble.
I like that explanation. I find that with much of Isaiah, I'd really have to dig into each chapter verse by verse like that to get close to a solid understanding of what he's saying. Isaiah seems very focused on his day and references that would have made sense back then but seem pretty obscure to a modern reader.

Cervantes

Woodpecker
Woman
Andrew Torba, an amazing example of a true Christian quoted this:

John 15:19
"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you."

Here: https://news.gab.com/2021/02/01/the-silent-christian-secession/

Be thankful that you've been chosen. That you're being separated from the pile of dry straw about to be burned. When Lot left Sodom, first he lost everything. He had to rely on God's providence to rebuild. But he was not destroyed.

Early Christians separated themselves from a dying civilization and were rebuilding in the ruins while most Romans still thought things were mostly fine. Thank God that he gave you the vision to separate yourself from this dying world.

Being a "saint" means being consecrated to God. It means being set apart from the world, a world ruled by evil, and a world which is temporary and headed inevitably toward destruction. This doomed world hates the saints.

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker

Luke 24:27
New King James Version

27 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.

Read Leviticus and tell me where you see Jesus Christ. Read Exodus. Read the account of Noah's Ark. Where is Christ in that story? He is the Ark. He is the Ladder in Jacob's Dream. He is the Burning Bush talking to Moses. Christ is in every page of the Bible.

Train yourself to look for Christ wherever you go. Not just in the Bible but in the whole world. In whatever you see, hear, watch, say, read; if you do not see Christ then there is nothing redeeming in it.

Isaiah 46:4
[The Lord says,] "Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am he, I am he who will sustain you, I have made you and I will carry you. I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Just think about it, He who created the universe and everything in it still considers you and me to be something to be nurtured.

Hebrews 13:17
Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.

Remember everyone will stand before the Lord and have to account for their actions.

Romans 8:31-32
What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Despite what we may think His intent is to bless, not wound. He always answers our petitions, just not the way that is always expected.

Psalm 31 23-24
Love the LORD, all his saints! the LORD preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full. Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.

The LORD will bless his people and deal justly with those who mock and abuse them.