Bible Verse Thread

DanielH

Pelican
Orthodox
I use the Youversion bible app on my phone, just realized they have a desktop version at my.bible.com . It has hundreds of languages and probably thousands of translations, and audio bible options. It even has an option to display different translations side by side. Very useful tool for those who work at a desk or want to learn another language while reading the bible.

DenizenJane

Woodpecker
Proverbs 15:20 "A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother."

The more you read this one, the more angles of meaning come out. Its almost an admonition of the family structure in addition to a son's advice. It seems like the foolish man has no father to despise because he's not in the picture in the first place, so he despises his mother by default. Hmmmm...

HurricaneJP

Sparrow
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."-

Philippians 4:6
New International Version​

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker

Hosea 4:6
King James Version

6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

HurricaneJP

Sparrow
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8

New International Version​

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I don't have a specific verse, but I find the story about the hardness of the heart of the Pharaeo in Exodus that I recently read very relatable and grapping for current times. I see so much hardness around me, in the media, in politics, on the street wherever you are, especially of secular people who sadly live a lifestyle that is anti Christ. I see in the video's I watch that the hardness of their hearts, their hearts filled with pride, is the thing that prevents them from seeing the truth. They can stare at the truth as long as they want, but with their hearts in this hardened condition they will never see it.

Job 12:7-10

But now ask the beasts to teach you,
the birds of the air to tell you;
8 Or speak to the earth to instruct you,
and the fish of the sea to inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know
that the hand of God has done this?
10 In his hand is the soul of every living thing,
and the life breath of all mortal flesh.

I think of this verse frequently.

Forester

Robin
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Colossians 3:1-2

Shed tears for the dead man, since he has left the light behind;
shed tears for the fool, since he has left his wits behind;
shed quieter tears for the dead, since he is at rest.
For the fool, life is sadder than death.
Mourning for the dead lasts seven days,
for the foolish and ungodly all the days of their lives.

Ecclesiasticus 22:11-12

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

The rest of the chapter goes on in giving Biblical examples of faith, and serves as a reminder of what having true faith can bring us. For me, personally, it served as a reminder that true faith isn't "blind faith", but something that gives us strength. I contemplated this verse quite a bit when I was reconciling my past agnostic beliefs as coming from the bad experiences of men rather than from a broken religion.