Bird watching thread

Bird

Kingfisher
It's the time of the year that Swallows are back in Poland. There is no summer without their characteristic shriek. They are my favourite birds because of their acrobatic abilities. They are like Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jets - small, nimble, agile. I can watch them dogfight for hours. It's beautiful.

Here in Saxony, too, they have been tweeting for weeks, listening beautifully from morning to night.
If it wasn't for the shit on the car glass. :poo:

Bildschirmfoto-zu-2020-05-24-15-09-03.png

Now that I know there's a Toronto neighbourhood called "Liberty Village" I kind of want to take a dive-bomber to it myself.

Never seen a red-wing blackbird act so aggressively, and we have many around where I am. I guess living in TO is driving him nuts too.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
I hope to see one of these guys one day. Sir David Attenborough with the Australian lyre bird. Truly incredible, though sad, how they are mimicking the sounds of their destruction.

Has anyone noticed a sharp increase in bird activity over the past 24 hours? They are far more prevalent and aggressive today, and finished off a suet feeder that they had been slowly nibbling at for days before. Animal behavior is so fascinating, and of course they sense things that we cannot, such as earthquakes and tsunamis. Some dogs and I believe pigs can even smell diseases such as cancer!

Perhaps it's just regular reactions to the weather, as it has been very dry here lately. I love birds and photographing them but didn't pay much attention to my backyard birds until this lockdown. I just purchased a bird bath and will set it up this week. That should really draw them in more, especially with the dry weather.

Easy_C

Peacock
Fun fact on birds: The US has a wild parrot population that's grown in the NYC metro area.

Awhile back when we lived in Jersey City we were driving to Boston on a road trip and we avoided a wreck on the highway by taking a detour going up the Hudson. While there we stopped for pizza and my wife comes back to the car saying that she just saw a flock of parrots flying over. My response is basically thinking she has to be off her rocker....

Turns out she did, in fact, see a flock of parrots:

rotekz

Ostrich
Gold Member
We have some great bird life here. Some photos taken in and around the garden.

A young and noisy Green Woodpecker which flew the nest today.
1hDqWzi.jpg

Three Buzzards attracted by some bread left out.
2Lr1eGJ.jpg

Mr and Mrs Pheasant. They come together every evening for a dinner of sunflower seed hearts and are now almost domesticated. He has a wonky beak and feathers hanging off from fighting.
ythg8SC.jpg

LMchCKG.jpg

At twilight, swooping silently over like a white ghost, our Barn Owl hunted mice in the field out back. Sadly it has not been seen for a couple of years.
w61lAMu.jpg

rotekz

Ostrich
Gold Member
Thanks yes 911, I took the pics and have been into nature photography for a while. I'd have to be real hungry to eat our Pheasants, but if times get hard I could reach out and grab one by neck.
You can probably see how this one got a bent beak.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
Beautiful. Didn't know we have birds this colorful in the US. Looks like something from the tropics.
Fantastic color. I’ve seen the Indigo Bunting in New England and those are a vibrant deep blue
like that.

American Turkeys have amazing coloration if you get to see them up close, and the sun/lighting is at just the right angle. Their feathers are iridescent and the birds can look almost metallic.

I saw a Red Winged Blackbird today (fairly common) and most pictures don’t do it justice...the orange and yellow really pop out.

rukawa

Chicken
great-blue-heron-4.jpg

Great Blue Heron. Another of my favorites. They have bright, intelligent eyes. They feed on the frogs in our ditch/dyke system at the farm, and are pretty slow to move from a good feeding spot. So it makes watching them fun, as we can get pretty close without them reluctantly flying off.

Weird...exact opposite experience with these birds in Canada. They will fly away as soon as they see you. They tend to be incredibly shy.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Weird...exact opposite experience with these birds in Canada. They will fly away as soon as they see you. They tend to be incredibly shy.

That might be why. Trick is to see them before they see you.

Most people see them just as they leap into the sky and beat their massive wings to flight.