Book recommendation request thread

Does anybody know of any honest American Civil War books? I just finished reading "The Real Lincoln," by Thomas Dilorenzo and it is the first book that I have read that actually criticizes Lincoln and the Union. I've been trying to find more resources on this topic that aren't incredibly biased towards Lincoln and it has actually been pretty hard. If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Robert E. Lee's biography: Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee

Can anyone recommend historical or contemporary fiction that is action based (outdoors, hunting, marital, ) and inspiring with good moral characters?
Too often it seems the historical fiction have these cynical, modern characters in armor.

Hypno

Crow
Can anyone recommend historical or contemporary fiction that is action based (outdoors, hunting, marital, ) and inspiring with good moral characters?
Too often it seems the historical fiction have these cynical, modern characters in armor.

Homer The Odyssey. Maybe Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo. The Jose Ferrar film adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac is pretty good.

Wasp

I tried to post a thread, but I do not see an option anywhere to post a new thread. Forum glitch? Anyway, I guess this is the best option then to post my question.

Does anyone know of any authors who represent the "elitist" neoliberal/neoconservative views of things? The reason I ask is because I have recently been listening a lot to Victor Davis Hanson and he does mention the elites a lot and their worldview, values, etc, but I am unable to pinpoint any author that could really represent those views so that I can learn how the "enemy" thinks.

I mean, I know plenty of good old fashioned conservative no apologies authors, but I am looking more for books that promote globalism, and basically not even the "Bernie Sanders" type of values his crowd likes, but more along the lines of the rich people pro Black Lives Matter sort. I hope my question makes sense, but if it doesn't I'll try to be clearer.

In a nutshell, what are any neoliberal books? I even tried a search on Amazon but mostly what comes up is stuff like classical liberalism or Marxist hardcore critiques against it, etc.

I tried to post a thread, but I do not see an option anywhere to post a new thread. Forum glitch? Anyway, I guess this is the best option then to post my question.

Does anyone know of any authors who represent the "elitist" neoliberal/neoconservative views of things? The reason I ask is because I have recently been listening a lot to Victor Davis Hanson and he does mention the elites a lot and their worldview, values, etc, but I am unable to pinpoint any author that could really represent those views so that I can learn how the "enemy" thinks.

I mean, I know plenty of good old fashioned conservative no apologies authors, but I am looking more for books that promote globalism, and basically not even the "Bernie Sanders" type of values his crowd likes, but more along the lines of the rich people pro Black Lives Matter sort. I hope my question makes sense, but if it doesn't I'll try to be clearer.

In a nutshell, what are any neoliberal books? I even tried a search on Amazon but mostly what comes up is stuff like classical liberalism or Marxist hardcore critiques against it, etc.
Go to this Book recommendation list. Go to the end of it. There is Globalism books section. Thats a good start.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Looking for a book about Rome that really captures what life was like when Rome was at its height.

Something that talks about the leaders, the government, but also includes what people ate, how they dressed, their entertainment.

I dont want a book just about Caesar or how he took power, although if you have a good recommendation for the best book on Caesar I will take that too!

I've read some good books about Asia or China that go through different technologies or city states and explain how that invention changed the lives of people in that time. It gives a good thing to latch on to, so that I can really internalize that time and place.

I havent found anything like that for ancient Rome. Its just names, dates, famous people, a war. Its information dump without creating a realistic people or place.

Any books on Rome and the Roman Empire, please send.

Thank you!

Hansel

Sparrow
Looking for a book about Rome that really captures what life was like when Rome was at its height.

Something that talks about the leaders, the government, but also includes what people ate, how they dressed, their entertainment.

I dont want a book just about Caesar or how he took power, although if you have a good recommendation for the best book on Caesar I will take that too!

I've read some good books about Asia or China that go through different technologies or city states and explain how that invention changed the lives of people in that time. It gives a good thing to latch on to, so that I can really internalize that time and place.

I havent found anything like that for ancient Rome. Its just names, dates, famous people, a war. Its information dump without creating a realistic people or place.

Any books on Rome and the Roman Empire, please send.

Thank you!
There’s very few such literature about Western civilization unless you hit the industrial revolution. The reason for that is, dialectics, ie. the scientific or materialistic take on how technology drives societies, while being quite reasonable, deep, and thought provoking, gained traction through the works of Marx, which is the reason why you’ll see Asian scholars employing dialectics to explain sociological change (even Japan nearly fell to communism in the sixties). Liberal arts writers in the West, having never learned to apply the logic of dialectics, will never be able to write similar stuff. Shame that it got stigmatized.

Mr Gibbs

Robin
Anyone have any ideas of educational books for a 3yo? I was hoping to keep the topic on history but I’ll take any topic so long as it’s not washed up in the degeneracy of the “culture”

Ex. The founding fathers having like Asian kids or promoting homosexuality etc