Book Review - American Pilgrim - Roosh Valizadeh

Review

A well-written honest memoir about a cross country journey to glorify God by speaking to individuals’ hearts, rather than their minds. It is a story about no longer conforming to a secular world, but rather continuing a journey of transformation with a renewed mind; and the spiritual innocence to see God’s beauty and truth.

Roosh recounts his tribulations, interactions with individuals while traveling, friends and families visited, and conversations with God. He also does a great job of providing historical, cultural and informational content related to the landmarks and communities on his tour. Throughout his tour Roosh was continually tested, and presented with the opportunity to discern “what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect,” (Romans 12:2).

Roosh reminds us we can find God’s beauty in nature and His creatures, especially birds as divine messengers. There are parallels between Roosh’s experience with God’s beauty on his journey and Job 12:7-9 message: God will provide for others in need.

“But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?”

And throughout the story Roosh shows us God too has a sense of humor. The writing style is authentic, and humorous. Roosh has a candid voice of his own - making his writing style unique, and mastering the memoir that inspires.

EsndMUmXUAAhqUE.jpeg

MBell

Pigeon
Wonderfully written, and I love how you highlight the interwoven aspects of nature, beauty and spiritually that seem to have had a strong impact on Roosh's Christian journey. It has been a blessing to see how he has transformed, and I am sure this book will be an inspiring read.

MBell

Pigeon
The book is great companion to the visual record of Roosh's experiences, as chronicled in the Babylon Road vlogs. The ability to communicate complex concepts like one's inner thoughts, ongoing journey and personal growth is truly a God-given gift, and Roosh has been blessed with this strength. His introspection, contemplation, and willingness to share his transformation provide a true learning experience for the reader. I really felt like it takes the audience on a journey also and encourages self-reflection on personal, spiritual issues. It is refreshing to read a book that doesn’t shy away from discussing complex religious concepts, especially when the author is approaching questions about God and spiritual growth from a seeking viewpoint rather than a preaching, authoritative perspective. The themes of the book were very relatable and gave me a lot to think about. Although I am a woman with a completely different perspective, I was able to benefit from the universal lessons shared in the book. This demonstrates the talent of Roosh as a writer with a message that can appeal to a broad audience. I was also really touched by the way he spoke about his sister, and his willingness to speak about the impact of grief from losing someone important can have on one's future path. Roosh reinforced the fact that having others in our lives is a true gift that can affect us in unexpected ways. Overall, this is the first work I have read from Roosh, and I was impressed with his reflections and perspective on how to overcome spiritual battles and temptations. I found that his conclusions and experiences offer lessons that can can be applied to other struggles I have in my personal life.

kingtg

Pigeon
Review

A well-written honest memoir about a cross country journey to glorify God by speaking to individuals’ hearts, rather than their minds. It is a story about no longer conforming to a secular world, but rather continuing a journey of transformation with a renewed mind; and the spiritual innocence to see God’s beauty and truth.

Roosh recounts his tribulations, interactions with individuals while traveling, friends and families visited, and conversations with God. He also does a great job of providing historical, cultural and informational content related to the landmarks and communities on his tour. Throughout his tour Roosh was continually tested, and presented with the opportunity to discern “what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect,” (Romans 12:2).

Roosh reminds us we can find God’s beauty in nature and His creatures, especially birds as divine messengers. There are parallels between Roosh’s experience with God’s beauty on his journey and Job 12:7-9 message: God will provide for others in need.

And throughout the story Roosh shows us God too has a sense of humor. The writing style is authentic, and humorous. Roosh has a candid voice of his own - making his writing style unique, and mastering the memoir that inspires.

View attachment 28926
I’m excited to be getting the book in the mail tomorrow and will post a review soon!