Books/authors in danger of being censored

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
Where are some good places to buy books online? (Not Amazon obviously) After unsuccessfully trying to find the 6 new unpublished Seuss books I want to booster my child's (and my own) book collection with books that could be cancelled next or at least censored/altered.

My thoughts on some potentially in danger children/adult books

Curious George
Babar
more Dr Seuss
(the Cat in the Hat was under criticism of being "minstrel art" for example)
Mark Twain books
Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little house on the prairie" books
"Uncle Toms Cabin"- (if you can even believe it, the Amazon description discusses how the "racial stereotypes" are offensive and overshadows the historical impact :hmm:
CS Lewis "Chronicles of Narnia" because of Lewis' other books and being a Christian allegory.

Any more that I should get on my shelves ASAP?

Where are some good places to buy books online? (Not Amazon obviously) After unsuccessfully trying to find the 6 new unpublished Seuss books I want to booster my child's (and my own) book collection with books that could be cancelled next or at least censored/altered.

My thoughts on some potentially in danger children/adult books

Curious George
Babar
more Dr Seuss
(the Cat in the Hat was under criticism of being "minstrel art" for example)
Mark Twain books
Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little house on the prairie" books
"Uncle Toms Cabin"- (if you can even believe it, the Amazon description discusses how the "racial stereotypes" are offensive and overshadows the historical impact :hmm:
CS Lewis "Chronicles of Narnia" because of Lewis' other books and being a Christian allegory.

Any more that I should get on my shelves ASAP?
I just started getting into the Little House on the Prairie show. It's really good, peaceful, carries good messages, and its amazing that only 40or so years ago Jesus was mentioned by name repeatedly on NBC. I agree that it along with these others are in danger.

This is why I would buy these in hard copy rather than digital. I did the same with Gone With the Wind, which i think is already being lightly censored.

It will be interesting if they get to guys like Nick Hornby and Chuck Klosterman, who aren't Christian but definitely provide Red Pill, old school wisdom.

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
Most of the novels listed here were read in high school. http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics

What is socially accepted reading now?

LGBT Titles for Parents, Students - Sexual orientation is still a contentious issue in schools, as many still fail to teach basic sex education.

In recognition of June as Pride Month, The Associated Press released a list of book suggestions last week for parents, kids and teens on LGBT issues and questioning sexual orientation. Here's a rundown of the titles. [article link]

It seems CS Lewis is safe from censorship but what they are doing instead is trying to change his stuff. Kind of like how the Bible isn't at imminent risk but instead they have just been watering down the translations for years, inverting meanings and such.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
You could try eBay or Craigslist. Used book stores. Sometimes libraries will let you buy the book if you pay full replacement cost for it. We did that on accident once. Thought we lost the borrowed book, payed the library the price to replace it, then found it a couple months later lol

Books you should get before they’re censored:
Animal Farm
A Brave New World
Madeline and the Gypsies (children’s book)
Roald Dahl books (children’s books)
The Lord of the Flies
Gone with the Wind

Hmm... what else... I’ll probably add to the list as I think up more.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
Tikki Tikki Tembo
Little Women
The Indian in the Cupboard
The Secret Garden

It seems CS Lewis is safe from censorship but what they are doing instead is trying to change his stuff. Kind of like how the Bible isn't at imminent risk but instead they have just been watering down the translations for years, inverting meanings and such.
Yes, I’ve noticed this too with other children’s classics. They won’t out right “ban” a book but the publishers might have “problematic” parts rewritten or edited out which is why it’s important to have original hard copies as opposed to digital.

stugatz

Pelican
Probably the Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit - anything Tolkien, actually. They're based off of Nordic mythology and have been criticized for being "too white". That new series Amazon Prime is helming is, according to some sources I follow, looking to wokify Tolkien by adding in black hobbits & elves (and pumping the series full of sex - they are trying to make it into a new Game of Thrones).

I've also long suspected Dune could be in the crosshairs, my brothers fiancee once whined about how she didn't like the series because it was "sexist". (I almost told her that the culture of the planet Arrakis was based off of Islam, and that by extension made her an Islamophobe and a racist - but I held back for the sake of a pleasant visit.)

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
You could try eBay or Craigslist. Used book stores. Sometimes libraries will let you buy the book if you pay full replacement cost for it. We did that on accident once. Thought we lost the borrowed book, payed the library the price to replace it, then found it a couple months later lol

Books you should get before they’re censored:
Animal Farm
A Brave New World
Madeline and the Gypsies (children’s book)
Roald Dahl books (children’s books)
The Lord of the Flies
Gone with the Wind

Hmm... what else... I’ll probably add to the list as I think up more.
I forgot about GWTW but need to get that movie and book! Also Roald Dahl is a good one to add, thanks! I can't remember why or what book was "problematic" from him. All I heard was that he said some "anti-semitic comments" once which is a good precursor to being cancelled I suppose.

I feel like Orwell & Huxley wouldn't get censored for some reason, it would be too ironic. I do have those classics though. I'll also check out Madeline and the Gypsies!

I should have added Rudyard Kipling to authors since he was a colonialist and already under scrutiny for Jungle Book. I love the Secret Garden and Little Women!

Last edited:

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
Probably the Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit - anything Tolkien, actually. They're based off of Nordic mythology and have been criticized for being "too white". That new series Amazon Prime is helming is, according to some sources I follow, looking to wokify Tolkien by adding in black hobbits & elves (and pumping the series full of sex - they are trying to make it into a new Game of Thrones).

I've also long suspected Dune could be in the crosshairs, my brothers fiancee once whined about how she didn't like the series because it was "sexist". (I almost told her that the culture of the planet Arrakis was based off of Islam, and that by extension made her an Islamophobe and a racist - but I held back for the sake of a pleasant visit.)
I have all LOTR but you really think Tolkien would be in trouble? They're going after JK Rowling for her remarks (even though she's liberal) so I feel like HP would go first, but that is true they could try to "replace" the old movies and books with a new wokify version. Ugh. I think they are re-doing the Dune series movies so I will add those to my list too.

stugatz

Pelican
I've always been curious to read it but there's no way I'd buy that online...
I already bought a copy of Mein Kampf online years ago, so they probably have a file on me, haha. Translations can vary pretty wildly in quality, and it's much ado about nothing at the end of the day, as Hitler wasn't much of a writer (Mussolini, a college professor, said often that he couldn't finish it and called it a doorstopper).

For really controversial stuff, I guess I'd also recommend getting a copy of the first major motion picture, Birth of a Nation, and the novel it was based off of, The Clansmen. (I actually found the latter at a used bookstore the other week, but hesitated to buy it, as I didn't want to get stared at. I'll probably buy it next time.)

Birth of a Nation really has some unpleasant and ugly stuff in it as a movie, and unlike Gone With the Wind, the controversy is well earned. It's a shame that the last 20 minutes are all anyone remembers, as if that movie hadn't gotten big when it did, motion pictures would have never taken off as a medium. It needs to be viewed in its historical context. Some of the cinematography still looks impressive TODAY, and the movie is 106 years old.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I forgot about GWTW but need to get that movie and book! Also Roald Dahl is a good one to add, thanks! I can't remember why or what book was "problematic" from him. All I heard was that he said some "anti-semitic comments" once which is a good precursor to being cancelled I suppose.

I feel like Orwell & Huxley wouldn't get censored for some reason, it would be too ironic. I do have those classics though. I'll also check out Madeline and the Gypsies!

I should have added Rudyard Kipling to authors since he was a colonialist and already under scrutiny for Jungle Book. I love the Secret Garden and Little Women!
Ahh, yes! That’s the other author is was thinking of! Definitely grab these by Kipling: Jungle Book, Just So Stories, How the Leopard Got It’s Spots.

Dahl had to rewrite part of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory post-publishing because the original Oompa Loompa story line was that they were enslaved pigmies from Africa and Wonka saved them by having them work in his factory. It’s sad really because Dahl spent many years as “a British Colonizer” in Africa and saw some of the real atrocities of slave labor there by the local warlords which is why he envisioned “saving” the weaker populace to work somewhere else. What an evil person :rolleyes:

Anything that is written from a British “colonizer” or historical White European viewpoint will be censored in some way eventually. Maybe not directly, but the ADL or SPLC will write a damning intro/disclaimer to the story. They’re already doing it.

On a side note, you might want to also collect some old Shirley Temple movies, mainly: “The Little Colonel” and “A Little Princess.” “Holiday Inn” will probably be canceled soon too.

Last edited:

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
Noddy got it years ago because of the golliwogs and was sorry to read that Dr Seuss just got it, may have to source some copies of that while it's still around.
I haven't been able to find them at all. I looked a day after the articles came out and they were all "out of stock" in the major online stores. Either people quickly bought them up to resell at exhorbidant prices or the stores pulled them. I feel like the Cat in the Hat will be altered as they can't cancel that, so I'm going to get the whole collection here soon since they're probably just starting.

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Gold Member
There is an attempt to delete colonialism and race completely, rewrite history but it just can't end well. How on Earth can it possibly end well. If holocaust denial is a crime in some places how can colonialism denial be legal..

Gone with the Wind goes for four hours, I have never made it through, but am still interested to try again. There's some interesting titles here, we could work towards staging an outdoor film festival in Summer - festival of recently cancelled films.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
Ahh, yes! That’s the other author is was thinking of! Definitely grab these by Kipling: Jungle Book, Just So Stories, How the Leopard Got It’s Spots.

Dahl had to rewrite part of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory post-publishing because the original Oompa Loompa story line was that they were enslaved pigmies from Africa and Wonka saved them by having them work in his factory. It’s sad really because Dahl spent many years as “a British Colonizer” in Africa and saw some of the real atrocities of slave labor there by the local warlords which is why he envisioned “saving” the weaker populace to work somewhere else. What an evil person :rolleyes:

Anything that is written from a British “colonizer” or historical White European viewpoint will be censored in some way eventually. Maybe not directly, but the ADL or SPLC will write a damning intro/disclaimer to the story. They’re already doing it.

On a side note, you might want to also collect some old Shirley Temple movies, mainly: “The Little Colonel” and “A Little Princess.” “Holiday Inn” will probably be canceled soon too.

That is probably the worst part of this all is that the book itself could have no "racist" references yet because of the authors views it could be censored. I think the Laura Ingall Wilder books are in danger probably because she was an outspoken Republican later in life and her daughter gave a lot of the book proceeds to the Libertarian party. Pioneers are deemed colonialist lite although if one actually read the books they would see that Papa Wilder actually defends the Natives and gets along with them. There wasn't really demonizing of them just showing interactions trying to co-exist, so I have to conclude that their problem is because of the rewritten narrative of "pioneer bad" or being conservative rather than the content.

So they're mad because of a part of the book that Dahl re-wrote anyway?! Ridiculous, especially when the elite and Hollywood liberals are always going to "save children" from third world countries themselves.