Books/authors in danger of being censored

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I feel like Orwell & Huxley wouldn't get censored for some reason, it would be too ironic.

Certainly ironic! And if they did cancel them, they’d have to cancel Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale. Which would never happen now that the wokified TV version is loved by libs.
I enjoyed the book, but the show lost most of the point by adding in tangental LGBT and diversity storylines.

Gone with the Wind goes for four hours, I have never made it through, but am still interested to try again. There's some interesting titles here, we could work towards staging an outdoor film festival in Summer - festival of recently cancelled films.

GWTW is a great film. It is my favorite classic film (along with maybe It's a Wonderful Life). But yeah, it's a long one. Best to treat it like a two-part miniseries. I mean, it even has an intermission. (I first watched it in on a laptop in Mosul, Iraq, early after the invasion in 2003. Just a fun fact). I think Rhett Butler and Scarlett are fantastic characters. Women and men are ALL the same. God made us the same. Our differences are all exterior. We are all like onions with layers. Those layers are important but also artificial. In GWTW you get two characters putting on masks, with witty banter, and as the film (and the Civil War) unfolds, the difficult times start to reveal their true nature. That is what makes Gone With the Wind so great, IMO, just Rhett and Scarlett, two proud, charming characters slowly having their layers peeled off, becoming more real with each passing scene.

Btw I love the idea of a get-together/film fest of censored movies.

Last edited:

stugatz

Pelican
By the way, everyone, the six controversial Dr. Seuss titles that were taken off the publishing list are now unable to be sold on eBay. That's right - you now can't sell it third party in some cases.

Start hoarding physical media. This is not a drill.
Gone with the Wind goes for four hours, I have never made it through, but am still interested to try again. There's some interesting titles here, we could work towards staging an outdoor film festival in Summer - festival of recently cancelled films.
GWTW is long, but I would say not oppressively long - I'd say some even longer films are though (Once Upon a Time in America, 1900, Gettysburg). It actually doesn't feel like it's closing in on four hours.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I just started getting into the Little House on the Prairie show. It's really good, peaceful, carries good messages, and its amazing that only 40or so years ago Jesus was mentioned by name repeatedly on NBC. I agree that it along with these others are in danger.

Yeah, I've been rewatching it myself. Were you persuaded by my thread about it?

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Probably worthwhile to pick up an encyclopedia / dictionary set written before PC nonsense became the norm.

Not only to have in hard copy as opposed to editable digital copy.
To also have a more correct record of history (within reason).

None of the 'British king X was actually a black man' history manipulation type nonsense.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
Apparently these books have also caused offense

Sherlock Holmes
Dr Dolittle
Pippi Longstocking

By the way, everyone, the six controversial Dr. Seuss titles that were taken off the publishing list are now unable to be sold on eBay. That's right - you now can't sell it third party in some cases.

Start hoarding physical media. This is not a drill.

This is how things are going to become more Communist-lite led by Big Tech and corporations, things won't be outright "banned" but they'll make it impossible to get ahold of them unless you're wealthy or a librarian who hoards books. Thats my next step, being a book hoarder. Maybe I'll grab some copier to make them into PDFs for people who would like real versions in the future.

Also good call on NOT getting kindle/audiobooks etc. Those will all be edited of course.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
Probably worthwhile to pick up an encyclopedia / dictionary set written before PC nonsense became the norm.

Not only to have in hard copy as opposed to editable digital copy.
To also have a more correct record of history (within reason).

None of the 'British king X was actually a black man' history manipulation type nonsense.
I really love this idea but they take up soooo much space! Maybe a few giant history books instead or an old CD Encyclopedia Brittanica would work?

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member

They're just getting started

Ebay is banning accounts that sell Dr. Seuss books:

Dr. Seuss is still getting canceled. In addition to far-Left schools, a useless learning organization, President Joe Biden, and a to-be-determined verdict from Universal Orlando, eBay has set aim toward the — as of last week racist — author.
eBay is going to work overtime to take down all current listings and is “monitoring” anyone who tries to list one of the six racist books in the future. (By the way, what a gig that would be to have.)
“eBay is currently sweeping our marketplace to remove these items,” an eBay spokeswoman said.
“We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Offensive material policy,” one seller was told for listing a Dr. Seuss book. “Listings that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination aren’t allowed.”
It isn't ever going to end until it is stopped.

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Picked up a physical copy of 1984 & Divine Comedy recenlty
Just to have the books in hand & not be at the mercy of Amazon / Ebay.

Might have to look more into this :

SQWAT

Pigeon
I picked up a case of 40 Bibles for $1.39 a piece. Hope I can donate them in better times, but things aren’t looking that bright in America.

ESV Economy Bible, Softcover - Case of 40

SKU: 9781433558276

1 $55.60
Subtotal $55.60
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Tax $4.03
Grand Total $59.63

stugatz

Pelican
Also good call on NOT getting kindle/audiobooks etc. Those will all be edited of course.
When I was an overseas student, I kind of went nuts with downloading, as that country had no copyright law they enforced. I have about 1500 e-books that can't be edited, as I have the raw MOBI files.

It's possible, though, that recent Kindle models have to be connected to the Internet (mine is from 2015).

I've decided I'm picking up that copy of The Clansmen unless that bookstore owner used it for kindling. These days, even if I don't like the content of a book, if it's potentially going to be challenged - yoink.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
A pre-1990 (54 Volume) set of the Great Books of the Western World is essential to any home library.
How is this one?

It says it was published in 1990? I am on the hunt for a new bookshelf since I have lots of books already.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
How is this one?

It says it was published in 1990? I am on the hunt for a new bookshelf since I have lots of books already.
Personally, I wouldn’t get a digital copy mostly because I’d feel like I was getting ripped off paying for something I can read/download for free on the internet. I believe all of the works in that collection are public domain and are easily found with a search.

I just checked eBay and there are a few complete used editions for a similar price. That’s what I would get.

Also, IKEA sells bookshelves for a good price.

Last edited:

PaulC

Robin
How is this one?

In 1990, they removed some books and added others, hence the 60 volumes. I picked up my 1952 set on Ebay for $100. This was a number of years ago though. You can also find them at Half Priced Books or other used book stores.

Keep an eye out for any Leather-bound Easton Press books at used stores as well. They are built with quality bindings and paper to last for generations. They run $50 apiece new. I pick them up at Half Priced Books for $10-$20 fairly regularly.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Regarding the Laura Ingalls Wilder books I’d grab them. There’s already been some controversy about her or her mother’s comments about Indians. How did we get here?!