Broker stole 13k from me for a truckload of printers that never showed up 8 years ago, too late to do anything about it?

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Long story short my dumb cousin who was my manager at the time bought a truck load of printers for my business that never showed up through a broker. Guy stalled for a while and then eventually just stopped answering. Don't really know what happened never got any real answers, I don't think the guy had intentions of just outright scamming from what I gathered he just never got the deal done, he was the middle man. But of course it became fraud or a scam or whatever you want to call it when he just decided not to return the money......lovely.

He's in Texas I'm in Michigan, I was deciding if I should file it in small claims or just contact an attorney and get it done. Well in the middle of that a fire at my business destroyed all the documents and computer backups of them so the guy pretty much got away with it.......or so I thought.

Well cleaning out an old barn on my family's property I found a box of papers buried under some random crap. While going through them deciding if there was anything that needed to be kept I found the folder with all the information, I have absolutely no idea how it ended up in that barn and neither does anyone in my family but they are there I have them!

Okay so this was 8 years ago, do I even have any options left at this point? The guy actually lives near an area of Texas I've actually be frequenting lately for business, do I just go knock on his door and say "hey remember me gimme my money", go to the police, hire a lawyer, small claims.....statute of limitations pass on this and it's too late to do anything?

Anyone have any input? I'm thinking maybe this may be a lost cause for any legal actions.

Thanks!

NoFunInAus

Kingfisher
It seems you don't really need the money and are well off, I'd back off of it. Generally in legal terms; defend to the last tooth but be sure you know what you're up against when attacking, sometimes the struggle will only end up with pain.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Assuming you would be pursuing remedy under breach of contract, and your contract/purchase order states that litigation must take place in Michigan, the statute of limitations for breach of contract is 6 years. Not sure about Texas.

More importantly he is probably uncollectible. I would move on.

That's disappointing but yea I figured, looked it up and it's saying Texas is actually only 4 years.

Bastard actually looks like he has a pretty good high corporate gig at the moment on linkedin.....commercial loan officer how ironic.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I don't chase money from broken contracts unless it's a lot more. 13k is a waste of time in business, imho, even if it's a current breach. After 8 years...I'd let it go unless it was serious money.

That's pretty much what my uncles who are international business moguls told me at the time, pretty much saying "it happens, stop letting your cousin do business deals he's an idiot".

You do need a certain cunning and ruthlessness to be a good business man. I don't know if your cousin is actually dumb or he's just not cut out for it. There is a difference between the two. I am personally pretty bad at business deals because I treat the other party the way I want to be treated meaning no underhanded moves no low-balling and no hiding information. Not that I do business often but the times I have I most definitely could have gotten better deals although I did not get outright scammed like your cousin. That's why I let my wife handle all negotiations, this woman is tough as hell won't budge for a dollar does all her research beforehand and I just pretty much sit there playing the good cop lol. I think doing good deals (and avoiding scams) is a skillset, people can definitely improves a lot but it just suits certain personality types better.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
You do need a certain cunning and ruthlessness to be a good business man. I don't know if your cousin is actually dumb or he's just not cut out for it. There is a difference between the two. I am personally pretty bad at business deals because I treat the other party the way I want to be treated meaning no underhanded moves no low-balling and no hiding information. Not that I do business often but the times I have I most definitely could have gotten better deals although I did not get outright scammed like your cousin. That's why I let my wife handle all negotiations, this woman is tough as hell won't budge for a dollar does all her research beforehand and I just pretty much sit there playing the good cop lol. I think doing good deals (and avoiding scams) is a skillset, people can definitely improves a lot but it just suits certain personality types better.

Definitely agree, in my cousins case it was a matter of someone thinking they are so smart they don’t need to learn anything. I’ll put it this way, I never would have done the deal he did but I do have fault in what happened because I trusted him to do it. He pretty much lied to me to push the deal through, I think he was excited to prove himself to me but of course accomplished the exact opposite.

So pretty much I have no legal standing it sounds like, 13k wouldn’t make me or break me just was always upset over all these years that someone got the better of me and just played dumb to keep my money. The guy wasn’t some elaborate slick haired scammer in fact he was some dumb old man in over his head which I gathered quickly when I stepped in to try and clean up the mess, there is a bit of a further story to it. He just got away with it I suppose because of the fire, he got lucky...