Brother Augustine

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
This is a thread to discuss our very own @MichaelWitcoff, the based Brother Augustine from YouTube:

I have found Michael's book reviews in particular to be edifying, as well as his "Against the Heresies of JLP," a series I hope he continues.

This is one of my favourite videos from BA:

As the ancient chronicles state,
And hark, I asked the Emir of Edessa: "Hath a man been found in the Kingdom of RVF, more based than Michael of Witcoff?"

He replied unto me in a wild foreign tongue, "Alas, ye fool! The question betrays thine ignorance, for none are more BASED than the Blessed Brother Augustine."

I departed from the prince's presence, a chastened man, and set mine path towards the Dark Corners of YouTube, in order that I may find this wise young sage, and learn from his Millennial mind.

Last edited:

Chasinglogos

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
When I catch his streams I appreciate the preparation he puts in. The critique of Jessie Lee Peterson comes to mind. I appreciate the measured approach. You can tell he doesn't take his work lightly. You can parallel it with the approach Roosh puts into his articles. It's clear why there is synergy with the players in the Orthosphere. I see a group of authentic and repentant brothers in Christ co-working to make a positive impact while in this clown world.

Last edited:

GuitarVH

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
“All my good works are God crowning Himself through me.”

+ St. Augustine

Just wrapped up a great interview a few minutes ago:

Just watched this. Excellent job from both.

It was interesting when she mentioned the feministic connection to the occult and theosophy, including Susan B. Anthony. It kinda makes sense though since at its heart it's an Anti-Christ philosophy that degrades the family structure and patriarchal belief in God.

Good interview.

Chasinglogos

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
New video dropped.
I watched it this morning. Great video. I discussed it with some coworkers this morning. I noticed that not only are people with low discernment the types to follow Kenneth but in general people that follow the prosperity heresy are the types that do and follow whatever they like. One of my coworkers is a big proponent of the prosperity "gospel" and he wouldn't hear any of the nuggets I grabbed from Brother Augustine. He went on a long rant about how people without success and a platform to bring people to Christ are just jealous. I said people don't attack because of the wealth they attack because of the error in the message. He didn't listen at all. So I don't know if it's only a discernment issue thats his problem. It could be that he's also blinded by his passions. I have compassion and pity for him so I'm going to do my best to bring it up again without coming off judgmental. I sent him the video but I don't think he'll seek out a message counter to the narrative he likes.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
I watched it this morning. Great video. I discussed it with some coworkers this morning. I noticed that not only are people with low discernment the types to follow Kenneth but in general people that follow the prosperity heresy are the types that do and follow whatever they like. One of my coworkers is a big proponent of the prosperity "gospel" and he wouldn't hear any of the nuggets I grabbed from Brother Augustine. He went on a long rant about how people without success and a platform to bring people to Christ are just jealous. I said people don't attack because of the wealth they attack because of the error in the message. He didn't listen at all. So I don't know if it's only a discernment issue thats his problem. It could be that's he's just blinded by his passions. I have compassion and pity for him so I'm going to do my best to bring it up again without coming off judgmental. I sent him the video but I don't think he'll seek out a message counter to the narrative he likes.
You’ve got to print your coworker a copy of St. John Chrysostom's sermons on the rich man and Lazarus.

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
What's a bit frightening is that as much as many others attack prosperity gospel grifters like Kenneth Copeland, there are elements of it that have penetrated into quite a few evangelical churches. Even in the Baptist church I grew up in, our pastor would rant and rave about him and several other prosperity gospel televangelists, yet he would preach a message that was similar in some aspects. That tends to make people treat God like a personal good luck charm, an attitude I've often had trouble getting rid of myself.

soli.deo.gloria

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
We tried that once, scheduling didn’t work out.

That's a shame because I would be really interested in seeing that. Maybe he could try again in the future?

I am moderating a live debate on Saturday at 5pm EST between Brother Augustine and a Reformed Protestant physician...

Very cool, I will be watching. Are you going to send out an email to let everyone know? I think you should because I am fairly active on the forum and I only just noticed this by random chance so I would have to assume there are many people who would like to watch but would miss it otherwise. In any case good luck Roosh.

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Bob was DESTROYED when he couldn't answer St Paul's assertion that unworthy partakers of the Lord's Supper get sick and some DIE.
He is a fraud and a heretic.

soli.deo.gloria

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Bob was DESTROYED when he couldn't answer St Paul's assertion that unworthy partakers of the Lord's Supper get sick and some DIE.

Yeah and he kept jumping all around and refusing to answer the questions in an honest and straightforward manner. Good stream but that Bob guy is something else. I pray he is able to see the error of his ways before it's too late and that he doesn't lead anyone astray with his obviously wrong interpretation and teachings about the church. I also found it interesting he didn't reveal himself on camera. I give Brother Augustine a lot of credit for putting up with him as long as he did.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Dr. Bob is on the wrong side theologically, but in the end he won the debate. You can't lose your cool, lose your humility as a Christian and win. I find myself making this very same error and it's instructive to watch it unfold. Perhaps the lesson is not to engage in formal debates on your patron saints feast day! Dr. Bob was patient and humble, very respectful, and in this way he very much won the debate despite his error. The initial statement of Witcoff was very good, and there were some excellent points made, particularly about the Apostles, Church Fathers, authority of calvin and the silverware restrictions. Protestants are tough, and I do take a little satisfaction seeing the Ortho bros get a little frustrated, Catholics have been dealing with them for 500 years. Roosh did a good job overall as moderator, although in my mind he shouldnt have allowed interruption in Dr. Bob's final statement. Prayers for the moderator did make me laugh, but I'm sure he received enough grace for a Saturday night. Glad you guys did this.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Dr. Bob was patient and humble, very respectful, and in this way he very much won the debate despite his error.
I definitely lost my cool more than I almost ever do, but there was nothing humble or respectful about Dr. Bob's wicked, prideful, evil closing statements. He came on my show pretending to want a good-faith debate, when in reality he had an agenda to use my platform to try and get the Orthodox to apostatize. He didn't even bother researching what the Orthodox believe ahead of time, because he was positive that he was correct and therefore, had nothing to learn but only something to teach. It's true he stayed calmer than I did - generally because he was reading scripts for most if not all of his segments, apart from which he was completely unable to answers questions (you could even hear him typing as he desperately tried to come up with something) - but if the Devil calmly quotes Scripture to you, that doesn't mean he's right. It just means he "appears as an angel of light."

Dissimilarty

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
All of his arguments made sense to me, though were not very compelling. I didn't get the sense at all that he was trying play word games or avoid the topic. For instance, his entire point about it not being a sacerdotal priesthood and propitiatory sacrifice in the earliest Church Fathers directly relates to the EO conception of the very word "priest." Dr Bob wasn't committing the word concept fallacy, he was explicitly trying to point out the different meanings and saying he rejected that definition and held to the definition he gave in his opening statement.

Likewise, when he was asking about if EO priests die, the monarchical priesthood, etc. it was to establish in what sense they actually participate in the Melchizedekian priesthood as contrasted with the "general priesthood" of all believers. Again, this was directly relevant to the topic as it goes to the difference between your definition and his.

It seems like you thought he was going to claim there is no such thing a priesthood and were frustrated because he didn't. But your very description states "The topic of today’s debate is whether Christianity teaches a special, clerical, and sacramental Priesthood distinct from the general 'priesthood of all believers.'"