Brother Augustine

Chasinglogos

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
The last debate showed that you are indeed unqualified to do live debates.
Better stick to prepared edited videos, like your "against heresies" series.
Edit: I hope you don't get this the wrong way, I'm trying to offer constructive criticism.

With love... I can't co-sign this. Nobody has 100% success out of the gate. A few tweaks to this format and Michael's mindset going in and most wouldn't be complaining.
1. Staying muted when someone else has the floor is important.
2. Only attack arguments
3. Manage expectations going in by assuming opponents will try to elicit an emotional response and act in bad faith is key.

These are just learning lessons. Be the man in the arena. I think our Brother critiqued himself appropriately and will learn from this. He's verbally acknowledged all of this and asked for forgiveness. I for one do and I'd call on all supporters of Roosh and Brother Augustine to pray for them as they go into the public square to engage with non-believers. I believe their goal is to turn more hearts to the true Christ. If that's real and they have a blessing from the Church then we will pray for them. Maybe the night before a future engagement we can organize that and do a group prayer together. Life is short. Let's have some fun and spread the truth together. Nobody can hurt us.

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Who's to say BA doesn't learn some lessons from this debate and carry that forward to the next one? He already repented on camera for loosing his cool. I'd say that if he is so inclined, he should not consider debating to be out of the question. I personally was impressed by his ability to recall facts and the breadth of his knowledge on the subject being discussed, especially for someone who has been in the faith for only a short time.

GuitarVH

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
With love... I can't co-sign this. Nobody has 100% success out of the gate. A few tweaks to this format and Michael's mindset going in and most wouldn't be complaining.
2. Only attack arguments
3. Manage expectations going in by assuming opponents will try to elicit an emotional response and act in bad faith is key.

These are just learning lessons. Be the man in the arena. I think our Brother critiqued himself appropriately and will learn from this. He's verbally acknowledged all of this and asked for forgiveness. I for one do and I'd call on all supporters of Roosh and Brother Augustine to pray for them as they go into the public square to engage with non-believers. I believe their goal is to turn more hearts to the true Christ. If that's real and they have a blessing from the Church then we will pray for them. Maybe the night before a future engagement we can organize that and do a group prayer together. Life is short. Let's have some fun and spread the truth together. Nobody can hurt us.

Agreed. More practice and experience is a good thing. I say keep going on and don't slink away from this. All aspects will improve and the message is important.

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I was praying for Michael during the debate, as i'm sure many Orthodox viewers were doing.
But I was praying for success in the debate. Maybe God answered our prayers, just not in the way we thought.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
We long ago hijacked the thread. I rolled all the Father Andrew posts into its own thread in the Orthodox subforum:

Last edited:
@ Wutang

Catholicism is the biggest Christian denomination in the United States. If all the ex-Catholics in America got together and formed their own Christian sect they would constitute the second largest Christian denomination in the United States. The mainline Protestant denominations are in desperate shape. I don't know what the situation is with the Orthodox churches, but I imagine that it's not that much different from the Catholics? The group that is thriving numbers wise are the Evangelicals.

psyrus

Pigeon
Orthodox
For the record, I deeply wish the laity did not have to defend our faith publicly the way the debating corner of the Orthosphere has been doing. In Church history it was almost exclusively - if not actually exclusively - patriarchs, bishops, archbishops, and monks engaging in disputations with heretics and schismatics. If our modern clergy took up the banner and sword once more, I’m sure the whole thing would take on a very different character. But since I cannot even think of a modern cleric engaging in debate the way our faithful forefathers did, it is unfortunately left to laypeople to pick up the slack. There are clergy who at least address these topics and do an excellent job, like Fr. Josiah and Fr. Andrew Damick in their books on these topics, but the actual disputations with leading heretics are a missing part of our modern Church that bore great fruit in the past.
Hey Brother. I purchased your book last year it enjoyed it. [Mod edit.] Glory to God that we are in His church.

I respectfully disagree that the laity needs to ‘pick up the slack’ when it comes to debating with heterodox about orthodox theology.

With Orthodoxy, according to my godfather, who is a Heiromonk, we as laity don’t engage in debates. We only speak of the truth to those that are ready to receive it. If a person wants to know the faith, they will find a way. They will come and see.

According to St. Evagrios, true theology is prayer. Prayer is what theologians do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Pigeon
2. Only attack arguments

Amen Brother Amen
Fight ⚔️ Laugh Feast

Appreciate the feedback, critiques, and prayers. I put myself in the arena for the world to see. They see the triumph of my victories and the blood flowing from my wounds. I hide none of it; I embrace it all. God bless each and every one of you.
You should watch one or two debates Anthony Rogers had with unitarians and muslims. That is the way Christians should handle themselves in a debate. Unitarians and muslims are not just wrong in their opinions, they blatantly lie, and he manages to keep his cool.

Serge Korol

Pigeon
Orthodox
What a surprise.
The Russians think they will be the last Orthodox country left. The Georgians think Georgia will be the last one. The Romanians think Romania will be the last one. The Greeks think Greece will be the last one.
And all of them have "prophecies" to back it up!
I guess I should clarify my statement, Rus is the better term, i.e. the slavic countries and a few others, I don't include western Ukraine in this. However after world war 3, many of these other countries may cease to exist.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Brother Augustine,

Thank you for your videos, and I’m enjoying the book exposing Masonry.

I would be interested to read an article or short e-book from you about Judaism, or at least a video with EMJ. I’ve found his conceptual framework of Logos / anti-Logos to be very useful, and want to your take in those longer formats.
Glad you like the book! I actually interviewed EMJ a year ago and it remains the most popular video on my channel:

Jaeric

Sparrow
Glad you like the book! I actually interviewed EMJ a year ago and it remains the most popular video on my channel:
When researching the occult it seems like the Jews, The Masons and the Jesuits always come up.

Do you think they all work together or maybe one group controls the others? Or still maybe they all vie against one another for power and control?

The Brief Statement of the Missouri Synod states, that the lodges push unitarianism. Atlhough modern-day unitarianism did not start in America, it has the most unitarian sects, and some of the Founding Fathers were freemasons with unitarian views. What is your opinion on that?

Postskriptum: Is the title of your book inspired by a publication of a 16th century doctor of theology from Wittenberg?

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
The Brief Statement of the Missouri Synod states, that the lodges push unitarianism. Atlhough modern-day unitarianism did not start in America, it has the most unitarian sects, and some of the Founding Fathers were freemasons with unitarian views. What is your opinion on that?

Postskriptum: Is the title of your book inspired by a publication of a 16th century doctor of theology from Wittenberg?
The non-Christian Founding Fathers had views I’d say are closer to Epicurean Deism than Unitarianism. As to the second question…I plead the fifth :)

Mountaineer

Ostrich
Gold Member
As with my Doolittle and Leeds debates, there has been a very polarized response to this one. I have laypeople telling me I utterly failed, and a priest telling me my behavior was appropriate given Dr. Bob’s blasphemy. So who knows? Only God!
Dr. Bob's blasphemy was so intense that it should be met with a righteous anger. An open debate which many secular people may listen to needs a bit more diplomatic approach. On the one hand by loosing your cool you showed that you have no toleration for blasphemy and faux theology, on the other some could perceive you as loosing temper and therefore the argument (unfortunately this is how human psychology works). Being dispassionate looks like a really valuable trait in these things.