Brother Nathanael

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
It is natural (not necessarily good) to try to at least generically distance yourself from this type without condemning him, which is all that statement was. It's a political statement, let's be frank. That doesn't mean Nathanael can't be better, but as we know, the truth openly stated can be a bombastic thing, especially in the modern day when it is called crazy in itself - something we all know much too well.

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
Orthodox controversy aside, he's on a roll lately:

Disney Debauches Your Children:

Invasion of the Nation Snatchers:

That video on Disney was shocking. I admit I've been out of the loop for a while, and when my wife recently suggested to me that we ban our children from watching Disney, I balked at the idea.

Now I see that she is wise indeed. I can't believe that Owl House show has gay characters, as well as a witch and a demon, who are portrayed as 'cute.'

Owl
Catholic
Gold Member
There is a reason "obedience" is one of the first steps on the Ladder of Divine Ascent. Please keep him in your prayers.

I would guess that much of his stigmatization is due to the political opinions expressed above. It's hard to imagine that in America today a member of the clergy would not be ostracized by his hierarchy for expressing these opinions.

DanielH

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I would guess that much of his stigmatization is due to the political opinions expressed above. It's hard to imagine that in America today a member of the clergy would not be ostracized by his hierarchy for expressing these opinions.
This is true but he's not a clergyman, although one could be forgiven for thinking that.

thatWay

Sparrow
Orthodox
Before being banned from YouTube I think he had 130k+ subs, his topic seems to garner an audience. I wish he slipped in more theology and deeper topics because I think he is knowledge based on his video on how he became Orthodox.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
His public and disobedient behavior forced the bishops to make a public statement about it. I’m sure they vastly would have preferred not to, but given the situation, there were only two choices they could make:

1. Publicly support him, thereby undermining themselves and their own authority - not to mention the basics of Orthodox spiritual discipline - by celebrating the behavior of a man acting without their blessing, or

2. Publicly rebuke him, regardless of whether they agree with what he is saying, because he has caused a scandal for them and forced them to act.

The Orthodox Church Fathers had many observations and things to say about Jewish beliefs behavior. One of the reasons the Russian Church made a public statement against Freemasonry is because, in their words, its leadership is largely Jewish. So to suggest that the Russian Church is somehow philo-Semitic, and only censuring Brother Nathanael because he criticizes Jews, is simply ignorant of both Church history and basic Public Relations.

As mentioned, I’m sure they would have vastly preferred not to censure him. Clearly they had already tried speaking to him in private, to no avail. But that having failed, what choice did he leave them?

Mike Contro Rossi

Sparrow
Orthodox
He is not under any disciplinary action at all and one can frequently find him communing at the Synodal Cathedral in NYC, popping in at Jordanville ( he was at Bp Luke's elevation to the Episcopacy), or popping in several other places with warm welcome. His confessor is Bp Jerome and he frequently is in communication with Abp Gabriel.