Brother Nathanael

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Been watching a few of his movies and I have the feeling I am watching an actor dressing up like an Orthodox monk.

I don't trust him for a bit. I see no empathy, just seems someone who loves his role. The man gives me creepy feelings.

I think he is making a cartoon of Orthodox christianity, which pulls people away from Orthodoxy. He only speaks on politics, on evil Jews and nowhere from what I can see scrolling through 100 movies, he shares the teaching of Christ.

Then knowing he's Jewish, and he has been doing this for 20 years seemingly without any opposition. He won't be on my watchlist.

If feel he is like the "nazi's" who display large swastikas as an evil character to withhold people from reading the bible and building strong communities.

View attachment 50781

I had a similar suspicion initially but i think you're overlooking the fact (as I once did) that he has spent many years as an ordained monk in an Orthodox Christian monastery. I'm sure if his antics had gotten too much, then he would have been defrocked or removed from the brotherhood by this point. The fact that he is still a monk (within ROCOR too, a jurisdiction that tends to be well-aligned with most things) tells me that what he's doing isn't being frowned upon overall -- although I suspect his new Bitchute channel "BibleWithBrother" is part of an effort to re-align himself with producing Orthodox Christian-related content rather than constant semi-humurous commentary on politics or Jewish corruption/influence. I wouldn't be surprised if his father-confessor or Abbot had requested him to do this, in an effort to improve his online presence and perception among others.

Here's a link to his website with an image below containing an official declaration from Metropolitan Hilarion, former First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad, stating that he is allowed to receive the Holy Mysteries and he is in "good standing" with them (looks like the date is September 2020):

1668272811155.png

Also I believe we may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but for me he is emblematic of a "Fool-for-Christ", something the Russian church in particular has a good awareness of:

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. (1 Corinthians 3:18-19 KJV)

One form of the ascetic Christian life is called foolishness for the sake of Christ. The fool-for-Christ set for himself the task of battling within himself the root of all sin, pride. In order to accomplish this he took on an unusual style of life, appearing as someone bereft of his mental faculties, thus bringing upon himself the ridicule of others. In addition he exposed the evil in the world through metaphorical and symbolic words and actions. He took this ascetic endeavor upon himself in order to humble himself and to also more effectively influence others, since most people respond to the usual ordinary sermon with indifference. The spiritual feat of foolishness for Christ was especially widespread in Russia. --(Excerpted from The Law of God, Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville, NY: 1993)

His silliness and playfulness can be offensive at first, which perhaps is the natural response, yet this "foolishness for Christ" can conceal great wisdom. I'm not saying he is a "Fool-for-Christ" but he certainly exhibits similar tendencies.

I relate the Fool-for-Christ with the passage below from Matthew, where Christ says:

Verily I say unto you, Except you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3)

While this verse is primarily about seeking to obtain simplicity and purity as children naturally have, I relate this to the behaviour of the Holy Fools who can catch us off-guard in a similar manner to children, with all their playfulness, and produce unusual spiritual lessons as a result.

Edit: also I forgot to mention, as others have hinted at, that Jews have a really rough time when converting to Christianity, as a general rule. So his eccentricity is also likely to be the product of a great spiritual battle.

TheosisSeeker

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I've seen conflicting reports over the years. A quick search turns up this link:

However, the letter in the above post is more recent. It seems that ROCOR has gone back and forth on him.

I enjoy his content, and while he seems out there he is getting a message across.