Budget Planning App

We use excel. Every week my wife and I review our finances together against our budget. It's not perfect but we live a modest lifestyle so it's not hard to keep track of.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I've been using YNAB for ~3 years now. It's perfect. The methodology of "assigning a job to the money you have" (proactive) vs. "looking back at your spending to see what happened" (reactive) is a lifesaver.

kel

Ostrich
I've heard good things about YNAB, less good things about Mint but it's probably fine for most use cases. Honestly check your bank and credit card account screen, they very likely have categorized your purchases already, so then just add your mortgage/rent and whatever else you don't pay on CC into that.

Personally I did my budgeting years ago just with excel or mental arithmetic and it's been fine for me, but I save almost pathologically (and I make decent money), being tempted into spending has rarely been an issue, so something more involved might be better for others.

Number one budgeting tip, before making a purchase, ask yourself "Will owning this thing make me happier than having $x more in savings a year from now?"

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Number one budgeting tip, before making a purchase, ask yourself "Will owning this thing make me happier than having $x more in savings a year from now?"

Rationalizing in $ is a little too abstract for me. I've always approached this from the perspective of hours worked. I calculate how many hours I would have to work to make a purchase, "Would I like to work X hours to own this item, or for this activity. Is it worth it?" It's why I never picked up smoking and never really drank too heavily. I didn't think on terms of health, I looked at it on terms of how many hours I had to work for it that week, just to toss it away.

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
I use wallet by budget bakers since 2017, it's beautiful and has a ton of features, budgets, goals, loans, debts and different stats. i don't connect it to my bank though and input all manually you know for privacy.

SoftFor

Sparrow
I've heard good things about YNAB, less good things about Mint but it's probably fine for most use cases. Honestly check your bank and credit card account screen, they very likely have categorized your purchases already, so then just add your mortgage/rent and whatever else you don't pay on CC into that.

Personally I did my budgeting years ago just with excel or mental arithmetic and it's been fine for me, but I save almost pathologically (and I make decent money), being tempted into spending has rarely been an issue, so something more involved might be better for others.

I do ask myself. "if I don't but this, will I die?" It works a week or so... LOL

I gotta try the YNAB, lots of great reviews.

Thank you all for your inputs.

SoftFor

Sparrow
I had a look at YNAB and it has a lot of features that I like. I'm still getting my head wrapped around the how's, but I'll get a grasp of it.