Budgeting apps?

I use a really generic one called spending tracker. Basically, every time you spend money you enter it into the app and categorize it, and it charts your spending. After downloading several similar apps, I went with spending tracker because it was the only one that I didn't have to sign up for.

It works well for me; for a brief period it was annoying to track my spending, but it became habit very quickly.

You might also benefit from the datasheet linked in my signature.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Batman_ said:
redbeard said:
YNAB. It's well worth the money.
What does YNAB do that Mint can't?
Disclaimer - I've used YNAB for years and Mint might've updated since I switched

-YNAB has you budget dollars in advance so that each dollar you have is assigned to a certain task. This helps you save up for annual expenses (Costco membership), goals (vacation), or just paying off debt. IIRC Mint just tracks your spending
-No ads, they don't sell your data either
-By default YNAB imports transactions as "uncategorized," so you have to go in and manually approve each one's category. With Mint I think you just have to guess if you categorized something or not
-UI is 100x cleaner
-YNAB calculates "age of money" so you can know that if I make a dollar today, it'll be spent in x days. This helps me know how well I'm doing saving

There's a ton of stuff...if you're on the fence they have a 34 day free trial. At the end of the day the first bullet ^^ is the most important. The attitude & objective is much different between the two.

open source

Sparrow
I've used YNAB for a few years now and its worth the money.

It really helps you actually plan and see where each dollar is going.

I still use Mint every now and then. It's good to see where you've spent money but YNAB is better for budgeting.

Brodiaga

Ostrich
Gold Member
I use Personal Capital (similar to Mint). It has a budgeting section where you can see all your expenses month by month. Sometime you have to adjust them manually, like deduct the amount of cash you withdrew and didn't spend, but other than that it's great.

Just like Mint, this is for tracking actual expenses, not for budgeting in advance. I don't usually budget for the future. I track historical spending and make projections based on that. I also think about each expense and try to minimize it: do I really need this new shirt? Do I use this subscription enough to justify the monthly fee?

redbeard

Hummingbird
$12/month for YNAB seems a little steep for a budgeting app. I think you guys should go to the thread called "things I did to save money" (or similar title.
Annual is $84...that's equivalent to what, dining out twice? That's well worth it for the peace of mind aspect. Other finance tools stress me out. YNAB gives me confidence that I know where my money is going. When I have a large purchase come up, I can accurately gauge if I can afford it.

Oz.

Pelican
Annual is $84...that's equivalent to what, dining out twice? That's well worth it for the peace of mind aspect. Other finance tools stress me out. YNAB gives me confidence that I know where my money is going. When I have a large purchase come up, I can accurately gauge if I can afford it.
+1

I’ve been using YNAB for three years now and there is nothing like it. Prior to that I used Mint and various other budgeting apps, however, I found them lacking when compared to YNAB.

At this point I am budgeted completely for several months ahead of time and I was only able to do this with the specific way YNAB works. With other budgeting tools I was only able to gauge what I was spending on a monthly basis.

My subscription actually renewed this April and didn’t even notice, that’s how un relevant the yearly cost of it is.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Yeah I don't think people get how powerful the YNAB principles are. I could literally get fired today and tell you exactly which bills I could pay for and which I'd need money for. Months in advance, of course.