Can anyone think of a magic key that would solve the Orthodox-Catholic split?

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Have you read the Enslaved Will? Luther and his merry group of degenerates 'liberated' nuns so they could experience sexual 'freedom', which often meant being taken advantage of. Look it up.

He was a wild pimp who couldn't control his passions, and on the totem pole of religious founders, ranks slightly above Mohammed.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that Protestantism is a joke.
Though it's true Luther married a nun and helped nuns leave their convents I don't think statements like this are productive in getting people to convert. I'm pretty sure Dr. E Michael Jones, whom I greatly respect, called Protestantism a looting operation, whether that was true from the 16th-19th centuries I wouldn't use it as a blanket statement today. I have a baptist friend whose church almost couldn't be more plain* and they're very generous towards their communities.
*This point actually came up in a debate I had with him as he took offense to how Orthodox churches are so finely decorated.

Though it's true Luther married a nun and helped nuns leave their convents I don't think statements like this are productive in getting people to convert. I'm pretty sure Dr. E Michael Jones, whom I greatly respect, called Protestantism a looting operation, whether that was true from the 16th-19th centuries I wouldn't use it as a blanket statement today. I have a baptist friend whose church almost couldn't be more plain* and they're very generous to their communities.
*This point actually came up in a debate I had with him as he took offense to how Orthodox churches are so finely decorated.
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

My aim on these specific posts isn't to convert anyone per se, but to state historical facts and offer an opinion based on those facts. Luther had a tormented spirit (similar to pre-repentance Roosh, in a way). He then justified his bad behaviour and tried to conform reality to his will rather conform his will to reality. That's my main point.

"By their fruits you shall know them"

Have you read the Enslaved Will? Luther and his merry group of degenerates 'liberated' nuns so they could experience sexual 'freedom', which often meant being taken advantage of. Look it up.

He was a wild pimp who couldn't control his passions, and on the totem pole of religious founders, ranks slightly above Mohammed.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is that Protestantism is a joke.
I know and I vehemently disagree. Plus I don't think this is an appropriate arena to bring opinions on Protestants. This isn't the topic of discussion as per the OP.

Whatever your passionate opinions may be.

I know and I vehemently disagree. Plus I don't think this is an appropriate arena to bring opinions on Protestants. This isn't the topic of discussion as per the OP.

Whatever your passionate opinions may be.
Fair enough. Although I wouldn't say my opinion on the matter is "passionate" but perhaps shocking in its directness or unpopular to some. I want to be in compliance with forum rules and etiquette.

SoCal9705

Pigeon
I was hoping this wouldn't lead to squabbles but rather some creative thinking. How did two rites live together as one church for a thousand years and then suddenly wake up and decide they were two churches? What's the key to getting "back there"?
Not sure if someone explained this already, but the split was principally a political one. After the collapse of the Roman Empire the eastern bishops argued that the papacy was stationed in Rome because it was the capital of the Empire. Now that the Empire capital and power had shifted to Constantinople (they argued) the papacy should also move with it. This was argued by eastern bishops at an ecumenical council and the argument was roundly rejected by the bishops of the council who found that the papacy was in Rome because that is where Peter was. This political tension continued for a time. The final split occurred after the Fourth Crusade. Even though the Pope had told the Crusaders they were not to go to Constantinople, they went anyway and sacked the city, plundering wealth and stealing even church relics and treasures. The Eastern bishops were outraged and the split was made permanent.

Note that Catholics are not to try and convert Orthodox Christians, as they are regarded as a branch of the same Church in schism and retain Apostolic Succession.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Not sure if someone explained this already, but the split was principally a political one. After the collapse of the Roman Empire the eastern bishops argued that the papacy was stationed in Rome because it was the capital of the Empire. Now that the Empire capital and power had shifted to Constantinople (they argued) the papacy should also move with it. This was argued by eastern bishops at an ecumenical council and the argument was roundly rejected by the bishops of the council who found that the papacy was in Rome because that is where Peter was. This political tension continued for a time. The final split occurred after the Fourth Crusade. Even though the Pope had told the Crusaders they were not to go to Constantinople, they went anyway and sacked the city, plundering wealth and stealing even church relics and treasures. The Eastern bishops were outraged and the split was made permanent.

Note that Catholics are not to try and convert Orthodox Christians, as they are regarded as a branch of the same Church in schism and retain Apostolic Succession.
It was partly political, but not principally.

Dijkstra

Pigeon
Though it's true Luther married a nun and helped nuns leave their convents I don't think statements like this are productive in getting people to convert. I'm pretty sure Dr. E Michael Jones, whom I greatly respect, called Protestantism a looting operation, whether that was true from the 16th-19th centuries I wouldn't use it as a blanket statement today. I have a baptist friend whose church almost couldn't be more plain* and they're very generous towards their communities.

That's actually a historical irony I think. One of the contentions that caused Luther's leaving Catholicism was the Scripturally-baseless looting operation of indulgences; fast forward a few centuries and we Protestants are dealing with the fallout of one of the snake-oil salesman's modern disguises, the televangelist. So many who have gotten the soapbox of the airwaves have turned up rotten in one way or another. As it reads in Ecclesiastes, "There is nothing new under the sun."

You're spot on about using blanket statements - look at people and parishes individually: "By their fruits you shall know them."

lutak

Pigeon
As a baptized non practicing Papist who grew up a sinful agnostic found Christ and began attending a Baptist church, I would say the magic key is to convert to the Genuine Orthodox Church. The battle is an inward one in which we must fight against sin. But I believe the true Church to be the orthodox church. And it's important to gaurd ourselves from spiritual deceptions that would come along with attending or being baptized in apostate churches.

lutak

Pigeon
As well as to follow the example left by the Holy fathers and of the saints. When we reject the saints and the true Church of God we miss out on all the traditions and wisdom contained in said traditions and patristic teachings. And it's putting one at a severe disadvantage pertaining to the knowledge of the church, salvation and Christ himself in a physical sense but you also miss out on the mysteries of the church in a spiritual sense.