Can Christians enjoy magic shows?

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
Most "magician" types I've met are very strange people. Some of them are atheist, some of them give me weird quirky vibes, and I am aware that they have at least one invitation-only secret society in the USA.
I can't stand magicians who have that attitude. The fun behind a magic trick is explaining the slight of hand or trying to figure out how the trick works. If you go to YouTube, the masked magician series breaks down a lot of the big name basic magician tricks like sawing a person in half, levitating, etc.

That is much more fun. I wish there was a magician who would shows and then break down how he did the tricks. Alas, we have this hackery, "I HaZ pOwErS" chauvinism.

stugatz

Pelican
Stuff like card tricks are just sleight of hand and I never saw a problem with those - almost 100% of the time, the person (or small audience?) that is impressed knows that there's some kind of secret behind the trick, and they in fact prefer to not know it, because that would ruin the fun.

That's a good point, though, about how magicians tend to be occult-friendly and atheistic. I wonder why that is, I was always impressed with card tricks, and I've usually been a Christian...

Truth

Chicken
I bet you're fun at parties. That is totally the opposite of what 'the fun behind a magic trick is'.
That being said, I love those shows too. I think there are a few guys like that now, Penn and Teller being the obvious ones, but they are massive anti-theist shills, FYI.

Getting people to not believe in magic goes hand in hand with getting them not to believe in God. Not saying magic is real but it's part of the agenda which says, only what we tell you is real, disregard the imagination, disregard possibility, disregard alternative analysis, disregard faith. That's why there are so many of these magic revealed shows now, in addition to conspiracy debunking stuff (which P&T famously did too).

Life is magic, therefore God is magic. Technology is magic. It's all just nomenclature. If you believe Jesus performed miracles then you believe in magic.

And what's wrong with magicians keeping their Trade secrets? It's a time honoured tradition. Furthermore, most of the occult stuff is just theater- not particularly problematic IMHO.

(Full disclaimer- I am not an Orthodox Christian)

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
I bet you're fun at parties. That is totally the opposite of what 'the fun behind a magic trick is'.
That being said, I love those shows too. I think there are a few guys like that now, Penn and Teller being the obvious ones, but they are massive anti-theist shills, FYI.

Getting people to not believe in magic goes hand in hand with getting them not to believe in God. Not saying magic is real but it's part of the agenda which says, only what we tell you is real, disregard the imagination, disregard possibility, disregard alternative analysis, disregard faith. That's why there are so many of these magic revealed shows now, in addition to conspiracy debunking stuff (which P&T famously did too).

Life is magic, therefore God is magic. Technology is magic. It's all just nomenclature. If you believe Jesus performed miracles then you believe in magic.

And what's wrong with magicians keeping their Trade secrets? It's a time honoured tradition. Furthermore, most of the occult stuff is just theater- not particularly problematic IMHO.

(Full disclaimer- I am not an Orthodox Christian)

Indeed I am quite a lot of fun because we don't have spergy autistic losers hiding behind a veneer of mysticism for what is ultimately deception at our get togethers.

Technology isn't magic. It's electrons moving across metal and building upon a system of yes and no.

Life isn't magic. It's a creation and GIFT from God.

Jesus' miracles were not magic, it was God acting through his son performing miracles based on his love of his creation.

Getting people to be unamused with magicians is akin to Jesus outsmarting the devil and his tricks. Life isn't magic nor is magic edifying God's creation. It's deception. Plain and simple.

And what's wrong with magicians keeping their Trade secrets?

Because a magician is just fooling people and I'm frankly tired of unoriginal tricks that have long since been exposed or explained. Like a comedian from the 70s telling Geraldine jokes in 2021.

Want to know how Harry Houdini did his tricks? He was a locksmith in his prior trade and in the 19th century, most locks could be opened with a small variety of keys. One of his tricks involved a sceptic claiming he couldnt escape a box he made. The fraudster snuck into the guys shop in the middle of the night, swapped out the screws for nails, and the next day did his trick.

Had I been so lucky to be alive during those days, I would have reinforced the box again before the huckster came back with proper wood screws.

My favorite magician story was when a piece of work interrupted me to have me try and, "cut the deck" for his card trick. I laid the cards flat on the table. Split them all apart evenly and pushed them back together. "There I split the deck!" The so called magician grumbled and walked away.

Can christians enjoy magic shows? I don't know because magic shows aren't enjoyable when the whole premise is deception. F*** that.

For someone whose username is "truth" you clearly know very little of it.

Last edited: