Car Self-Maintenance

john_Jea

Pigeon
As a Land Cruiser owner, I'm going to assume you've probably checked out the forums at ih8mud.com? Awesome resource for anything and everything Land Cruiser.
Yes I have, a great site but unfortunately it looks like non of the guys over there have rebuilt the turbos themselves, they have rather sent them out for rebuilding. Most just go for a 1000$+ aftermarket ones for better performance.

What engine/turbo setup are you currently running?
I do not want to say to much publicly, I can send you a message if you are interested :)

How important is it to keep tires at 32-35 PSI?

This cold spell has my tire light on, I check the pressure and its coming in at ~30. Should I refill back to 32-35 or just wait for the temps to go up and the pressure to increase?

Steiner

Sparrow
Man, I know this is late. But welcome to the DIY car maintenance family/addiction. Keep it up and soon you'll have a few money pits around and a garage with a lift. There's nothing like calling the boys over to work on the car with you, and drinking a gazillion beers while one guy does all the work. Good times ahead bro

This cold spell has my tire light on, I check the pressure and its coming in at ~30. Should I refill back to 32-35 or just wait for the temps to go up and the pressure to increase?

Don't think the pressure increases, the light stays on all summer. Been there, tried that :laughter:

If the light doesn't go off after you do 4 tires, make sure to hit your spare tire if you have one that is pressurized. I always forget that one

Steiner

Sparrow

There's nothing wrong with running the tires a little low, it may even be better for your traction in snowy weather. However if the light is on, I'd just shoot it back up to the spec'd PSI. Also do it and monitor it over a few days to make sure you don't have a slow leak

^^^ This

If you don't have actual snow tires, I would definitely keep the psi a littler lower than what the manufacturer recommends to get the additional traction when you are dealing with bad weather. If you do have snow tires then keep them at the recommend psi, maybe a few notches higher so you don't have to constantly refill them when your tpms light turns on and also to improve your gas mileage by a very slight amount.

MrFreezy

Pigeon
Did the brakes today on my Toyota Matrix. Pads, rotors the whole shebang on the front. Went smooth until I couldn't push in the pistons on the calipers. Screwed up the clamp. Had to purchase new calipers. 200 bucks extra plus some stuff to bleed the brake lines. got it done tough. So yes boys and girls if your rotors smell like fried chicken, crack like corn in the microwave and turn blue, time to do your brakes. Love the Matrix such a nice ride!

About to replace front hub bearing assemblies on my Sport Trac. Passenger side is noisy, so I'm replacing both sides, since they both appear to be the originals.

Following the truck, will be a new heater core in my old Jeep Wrangler. It's the month of auto repair around here...

Cheers

Ohhhh.

You mean getting your hands dirty.

I don’t do that baby. Nor those damn long lines at the DMV.

I use all sorts of trickery...

I work on race cars!

augustinus

Chicken
Are there any manuals better than Haynes for wrenching yourself? The verbal instruction is pretty helpful, but pictures really do make things a lot simpler.

Side note, anybody have Honda experience? People keep telling me they're easier to work on and tune than my VW, but I'll admit I'm skeptical on that.

Just slapped a new intake, taillights, and some replacement shiny zinc bolts to replace old rusty ones in my TDI. Waiting for the bodykit to arrive so I can replace all the dented/rusted metal trim. 1,300 and she's finally starting to look like a new car, money pit no more.

DeWoken

Sparrow
Are there any manuals better than Haynes for wrenching yourself? The verbal instruction is pretty helpful, but pictures really do make things a lot simpler.

Side note, anybody have Honda experience? People keep telling me they're easier to work on and tune than my VW, but I'll admit I'm skeptical on that.

Just slapped a new intake, taillights, and some replacement shiny zinc bolts to replace old rusty ones in my TDI. Waiting for the bodykit to arrive so I can replace all the dented/rusted metal trim. 1,300 and she's finally starting to look like a new car, money pit no more.
You can download what's called the Factory Service Manual, often. The FSM has tons of information including torque specs.

I hear one issue that Hondas have is their valves fall out of spec and need adjustment at certain intervals. They develop valve lash, unlike most modern engines. It's strange because Honda is the largest producer of engines worldwide iirc.

Yup, now is a good time to fix up your car because you never know what's on the horizon. Maybe parts will be impossible to come by in six months. I'd keep an extra engine if I could (mine are dirt cheap from the junkyard).

MrFreezy

Pigeon
just did the sparkplugs on my Toyota Matrix 2008 XR. Parts: Sparkplugs cheapest set of 4 from Amazon 18 $ CAN , socket 13 $ Amazon. Time: about 1 hour. Torque specs from YT tutorial 13 ft/lbs. Done deal.
Next project: the whole front end. Got already the shocks and the complete knuckle assembly, ball joints, sway bar links + tools. Waiting on both cv axles plus seals, tie rods, lower control arms + specialty tools. Couldn't find a shop that would lend them out. Gott mit uns!

CDRhodes

Sparrow

Chiltons used to make great manuals but I can’t find them any more. Honestly any print manual is getting hard to find.