Cars You Guys Are Into

grenade001

Woodpecker
A car style that isn't popular in the USA:

Sporty four door hatchbacks along the lines of the discontinued Mazda 3 Speed. I live in an urban area so something that I can manuever around double parked vehicles, tight turns, and is easy to fit in a compact parking space is what I like. I never understood people who live here and drive these massive SUVs. I often see women driving these monsters and struggling to parallel park them.
Solidly built compact cars, Mazda2, or Yaris size is a relatively untapped market. I have a Mazda 2 as my daily driver, and it is such an easy car to drive, and it does all I need it to do, and can carry two sets of golf clubs. All in a car that is 4 metres long. The only downside is that seats could have more support for longer drives. The standard motor has around (80kw) 110hp for a car that weighs just under a ton. I always felt that either a Powerchip, or low-blow turbo would give it that little extra kick.

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Solidly built compact cars, Mazda2, or Yaris size is a relatively untapped market. I have a Mazda 2 as my daily driver, and it is such an easy car to drive, and it does all I need it to do, and can carry two sets of golf clubs.

Looked at the Yaris, but it was too small. I have an Astra and the kid's car seat was a tight fit (clearance with the front passenger seat) when it was mounted rear facing. The Yaris would have been impossibly tight.

I liked the Mazda 2, which was only briefly offered here in the USA, and helped by wife's family buy one back in her home country. It has held up well over the past eight years.

SouthernTory

Woodpecker
I had a 1983 633CSi 5 speed, a 1987 635CSi L6, a 1989 750iL, and I wanted an 850i, but the cost of keeping it on the road made me pass on it.

Lexus made an SC400, which used an 850i as an comparison. I had a low mileage 1995 SC400, which was a really sweet ride with Toyota dependability.

I have some old Honda motorcycles, but my fun car is a 2001 Corvette 6 speed. You can pick these up very cheap nowadays.

Still want one even though you need a special briefcase...

LukaJ

Pigeon
I had a 1983 633CSi 5 speed, a 1987 635CSi L6, a 1989 750iL, and I wanted an 850i, but the cost of keeping it on the road made me pass on it.

Lexus made an SC400, which used an 850i as an comparison. I had a low mileage 1995 SC400, which was a really sweet ride with Toyota dependability.

I have some old Honda motorcycles, but my fun car is a 2001 Corvette 6 speed. You can pick these up very cheap nowadays.
My dad owned the 633 in the '90s and got rid of it soon. It had a reddish color equipped. If only he knew the 6 series would come back with increasing popularity. Looking at it today looks much different. A neighbor of mine owns one and wow that sound.

The e32 7 series is a cool car because they aren't too many electrical components that can get cucked. It's mostly an analog machine. Was that car still pricey in maintenance? My local mechanic told me he doesn't want to work on the 8 series, and the 750il shares the same multiple I6 layouts inside.

I've always wanted a C5 as a future ride. Would you know which specific years or engine types to look at/avoid?

bmw633

Woodpecker
My dad owned the 633 in the '90s and got rid of it soon. It had a reddish color equipped. If only he knew the 6 series would come back with increasing popularity. Looking at it today looks much different. A neighbor of mine owns one and wow that sound.

The e32 7 series is a cool car because they aren't too many electrical components that can get cucked. It's mostly an analog machine. Was that car still pricey in maintenance? My local mechanic told me he doesn't want to work on the 8 series, and the 750il shares the same multiple I6 layouts inside.

I've always wanted a C5 as a future ride. Would you know which specific years or engine types to look at/avoid?
C5s were made 1997-2004. Incremental improvements were made throughout its production. 2001-2004 were upgraded from previous years. 2003 had an anniversary edition, red, with a shale interior. 2004 had some C6 things done to it, a transitional year.

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I like blocky Japanese cars from the 1980s. Maybe cause I played with toys of them growing up.

Toyota Sprinter Trueno:

1986-JDM-Toyota-AE86-Sprinter-Trueno-GT-Apex-1024x683.jpg

The Toyota Celica behind Beck on his album cover:

Beck Hyperspace.jpg

And I think I posted it already. but the Nissan Fairlady Z 280 is just an awesome looking car.

280ZX_1_ocWszuL.jpg

owner-type-3-4c11.jpg

This is actually the vehicle I would like to get. A Filipino made copy of the classic world war two U.S. Army jeep! The people of the Philippines fell in love with the vehicle during and after the war, and so now you can see reproductions all over the place. I am told they sell for only three grand, are easy to work on, and can last forever, unlike many modern cars.

Last edited:

SlickyBoy

Hummingbird
What are some of your favorite cars you've driven?
What would be your choice of a car in the under $50k range?
Where are some nice drives you would recommend?
1. What are some of your favorite cars you've driven?
- Lately? Genesis (Hyundai) G90, Ultimate. 5.0, AWD, super-luxurious and an absolute steal on the used car market.

2. What would be your choice of a car in the under $50k range?
- See above. You can get one for under $40k with 30k miles or less (even cheaper if you don't need the AWD option). It's kind of nondescript and no sports car, but so nice on long trips. Long warranty, very well made. Powerful V8 and the nicest interior I've seen on any newer model car.

3. Where are some nice drives you would recommend?
- Depends upon the car. Generally, anything in FL is too flat and boring, but still pleasant. Even the DC area has some nice parkway drives if you can time it to avoid the traffic. Western NC, West Virginia, the Northeast, mountain canyons in CO, All great places.

bmw633

Woodpecker
1. What are some of your favorite cars you've driven?
- Lately? Genesis (Hyundai) G90, Ultimate. 5.0, AWD, super-luxurious and an absolute steal on the used car market.

2. What would be your choice of a car in the under $50k range?
- See above. You can get one for under $40k with 30k miles or less (even cheaper if you don't need the AWD option). It's kind of nondescript and no sports car, but so nice on long trips. Long warranty, very well made. Powerful V8 and the nicest interior I've seen on any newer model car.

3. Where are some nice drives you would recommend?
- Depends upon the car. Generally, anything in FL is too flat and boring, but still pleasant. Even the DC area has some nice parkway drives if you can time it to avoid the traffic. Western NC, West Virginia, the Northeast, mountain canyons in CO, All great places.
In NC/TN, Tail of the Dragon is great. Yellowstone NP to Jackson Hole, WY features Grand Tetons, Pacific Coast Highway is great. Anywhere around Sturgis, SD. Moab, UT is cool, too.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I'm into the idea of a convertible sports car, with a very powerful engine, and a stick shift. There are a number of these available, and interestingly, every one of them runs around $25-30K if you want to get a nice used one. You can see older, high miles examples for less, but if you go on Cars.com and filter for the features you want, you've find a nice version always ends up in the mid-$20K range. Of course you can pay more for a newer version. I find myself looking in the range of 2008-2012 to find cars with the desired specs, in excellent condition.

Here are some of the car types that offer a convertible with stick shift and high power
370ZX
Porsche Boxster
Mustang
Camaro
BMW 330i
BMW 650i
Corvette

It can be tricky to find the right combination of features. For example, a lot of cars that have a stick shift will only offer it with the less powerful engine option. Also, a lot of cars like Mercedes and Audi have moved away from a traditional manual, and they have these dual clutch or rev-matched manuals, which aren't the same to me. Many try to claim that an automatic with a paddle shifter is the same as a manual. They are wrong.

Lately I am leaning towards the BMW 650i. It is available with a true manual transmission, convertible, and a turbo-charged V8. The Mustang and the Camaro are real contenders. I'd love to get a Corvette, but I am tall, and they are under 50 inches tall. I'd like the Porsche as well, but I think I'd rather go with a larger car, and still have the convertible, stick shift, tight handling, high powered engine experience.

One other thing I've noticed: To get an excellent example of one of these cars, with just the right specs, I have to set the filters on Cars.com to search the entire US, and then I can find at least a handful of suitable cars to choose from. When the time comes to buy one of these, I expect to find the one I need somewhere on the other side of the country, and I will fly there to buy it, and drive it home. These cars are too rare to find what I want in a local car lot.

MartyMcFly

Woodpecker
I like a lot of cars from the 1940's (as well as some from the 1930's and 1950's). I feel many were built with class and I also like the white wall tires. Many have an art deco style with stylist curves. The fact I like a lot of 1940's movies also influences my taste in cars. Of course, I would only buy such a car like this for myself if I were extremely well off as I know maintaining an old car is quite expensive. I was curious and found a couple in what looks like near perfect condition for under $40,000 for this particular model and similar ones (less if it needs some work of course), so it is expensive but not out of reach like some other classic cars.

493ffc8259f6e129f29bdc0725c23de1.jpg

Last edited: