Cars You Guys Are Into

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
New Lotus Emira.... starting around 70k (I am sad the turbo version only comes in automatic)

Lotus-Emira-2023-ig.jpg

Last edited:

bmw633

Woodpecker
I like a lot of cars from the 1940's (as well as some from the 1930's and 1950's). I feel many were built with class and I also like the white wall tires. Many have an art deco style with stylist curves. The fact I like a lot of 1940's movies also influences my taste in cars. Of course, I would only buy such a car like this for myself if I were extremely well off as I know maintaining an old car is quite expensive. I was curious and found a couple in what looks like near perfect condition for under $40,000 for this particular model and similar ones (less if it needs some work of course), so it is expensive but not out of reach like some other classic cars.

View attachment 31759
I think cars of that vintage will be getting cheaper and cheaper as folks who grew up with these cars age and die off.

I think cars of that vintage will be getting cheaper and cheaper as folks who grew up with these cars age and die off.
The issue is that parts will be expensive. However, if you are not picky and are fine with non-genuine parts as long as the body is mostly original, you could probably save a lot of money on repairs. I remember reading an article about 1950's Cuban cars explaining that they would mostly not be valuable due to having a mix of old and new parts.

Your idea makes sense though unless people decide to buy them all up for investment reasons. I guess the boomers and later silent generation folks had more disposable income and wanted to recapture their lost youth with the muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's (as well as hippie vehicles like the VW vans and old Beetles) making prices soar. Maybe when they pass on, prices will drop for these cars as well (except for models in iconic movies).

It is funny, but the day after posting my comments in this forum, I passed by what I believe is a 1940 Cadillac (I am not a car expert) during a walk in a different neighborhood. It is rare to see these cars outside of car shows and the car was well-taken care of.

dicknixon72

Pelican
Big fan of what is known as the Malaise Era of domestics, especially big fullsizers up through the 80s, 90s, and 00s of midsize and fullsize domestics.

Why?

Lots of car for generally little money. These are also great to buy for $500-1000, recondition, and resell for $2500-5000 apiece depending on mileage and the car.

Parts of my collection over the past few years...
207326539_362248188592429_6411429668443944522_n.jpg
208400136_222733243031510_4136127794209696112_n.jpg
206410615_496249765002144_457411847743916284_n.jpg
211572023_341886760768616_8111526539094008284_n.jpg

You'll know when I die when you read an article entitled "Man Leaves Behind Collection of 100+ Automobiles Valued At Just Over $12,800."

bmw633

Woodpecker
The issue is that parts will be expensive. However, if you are not picky and are fine with non-genuine parts as long as the body is mostly original, you could probably save a lot of money on repairs. I remember reading an article about 1950's Cuban cars explaining that they would mostly not be valuable due to having a mix of old and new parts.

Your idea makes sense though unless people decide to buy them all up for investment reasons. I guess the boomers and later silent generation folks had more disposable income and wanted to recapture their lost youth with the muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's (as well as hippie vehicles like the VW vans and old Beetles) making prices soar. Maybe when they pass on, prices will drop for these cars as well (except for models in iconic movies).

It is funny, but the day after posting my comments in this forum, I passed by what I believe is a 1940 Cadillac (I am not a car expert) during a walk in a different neighborhood. It is rare to see these cars outside of car shows and the car was well-taken care of.
Parts can be almost impossible to source.

Cuba’s communist takeover was in 1959, when there were many cool cars.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
The second generation Eclipse will always be my favorite car. I have vivid memories of being in the car with my mom and we got behind one in town (the Eclipse we were behind belonged to someone I ended up befriending a few years later... he crashed that Eclipse and lost his leg and almost lost his life, then he got a nice Jetta an I was always a car fiend and ended up talking to him about his Jetta an we became very close life long friends) and the curves and the high spoiler just amazed me at that time, and I knew I would own one one day (I ended up owning two and still own one of them)

It has some of the nicest curves since a young Jessica Alba.... The interior is very driver centric like cockpit...It's offered with AWD and a turbo...

The GOAT

IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0239.jpeg
71794e808ea351fb62207fccccd9dcdd.jpg

MKE-Ed

Woodpecker
Always loved the Panther! As much as I admire Toyota the manly look of a Crown Victoria beats everything...
View attachment 33106
The Crown Victoria was one of the most successful cars that Ford made. They are still used a lot by police departments and cab companies. Their numbers are declining as they get older and get retired. It’s unfortunate that Ford never updated them and discontinued making them.

dicknixon72

Pelican
The Crown Victoria was one of the most successful cars that Ford made. They are still used a lot by police departments and cab companies. Their numbers are declining as they get older and get retired. It’s unfortunate that Ford never updated them and discontinued making them.

I feel the downsized '77-85 GM B-Bodies were superior (I will; I'm a GM guy) in ride, handling, and powertrains. I really want to like the last GM B-bodies (Fleetwood/Caprice/Roadmaster), but the build quality wasn't there in the slightest. I truly felt they were slapped together out of obligation more than anything.

The best years for Panther cars are '03+ when they received rack-and-pinion steering and stiffened frames. The 'sweet spot' are LS Premium and LSE Grand Marquis as these had a more aggressive final drive, dual exhaust, and heavy-duty suspension along with buckets.

Parmesan

Woodpecker
Tho
The second generation Eclipse will always be my favorite car. I have vivid memories of being in the car with my mom and we got behind one in town (the Eclipse we were behind belonged to someone I ended up befriending a few years later... he crashed that Eclipse and lost his leg and almost lost his life, then he got a nice Jetta an I was always a car fiend and ended up talking to him about his Jetta an we became very close life long friends) and the curves and the high spoiler just amazed me at that time, and I knew I would own one one day (I ended up owning two and still own one of them)

It has some of the nicest curves since a young Jessica Alba.... The interior is very driver centric like cockpit...It's offered with AWD and a turbo...

The GOAT

View attachment 32545 View attachment 32546
View attachment 32547
Damn those things were popular as hell back in the early 2000s, you almost never see one anymore because they all got riced out and beat on.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I grew up in an 84 Crown Vic. From about 8 til after I left the house.

The day I turned 16 and got my license I packed 10 friends in there and went joy riding. We chased those damn hubcaps all over the place and ended up returning home with just two. The 351 Windsor was a tank of an engine. The back seat was a lounge sofa. Good memories.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
My taste in cars might be a little weird by this forum's standards. I'd love to be driving a blocky SUV from the 1980s-90s.

View attachment 34008View attachment 34011View attachment 34010
View attachment 34009

That suburban is awesome. The 2500 was pretty common where I grew up and I spent a lot of time being shuttled around to hockey in my aunts two tone blue 2500. In the 80s we could fit 9 in there with hockey gear.

I have a 2005 1500 Suburban. It has 350,000km on it and I am already sad for the day it goes. They don't make suburbans for work anymore, they passed the torch to the tall vans and went full luxury.