Catastrophic Australian Bushfires - Summer 2020

hedonist

Woodpecker
I wonder how much of this is due to a certain Greturd Thunberg making a visit?
Lots of arson and most likely climate change types.

 

Transsimian

Ostrich
Gold Member
'Climate change doesn't cause fires'
The real reason is Governments - local, state and Federal - over the past 3 decades have bowed to conservationists and green groups by locking up more and more of our national estate and sacrificing them to the flame every bushfire season.

Even if the climate is changing, does that mean we should just throw our hands in the air and let our national estate and biodiversity go up in smoke every year?

I don't profess to have all the answers but here are a few less dramatic things we can do, other than trying to stop the climate changing, to prevent our national estate, our wildlife and our carbon being cooked every fire season:

Recognise that fire has always been apart of the Australian landscape but it's the fuel loads when fires hit that is really important. A fire can't burn if there is nothing or little to burn.
Just by locking up a piece of scrub and calling it a national park does not make it so. By expanding national parks because it "feels nice" dilutes the resources to protect the areas of our environment that truly are special and endangered and creates a massive estate which is difficult to manage and maintain.
One of the best forms of fire fuel reduction is low intensity cattle grazing. It's low risk, low impact and puts people into areas that actually know how to manage the country and know how to fight fires.
Anyone who says cattle are bad for the environment and biodiversity should go and ask the millions of animals, birds and insects currently being incinerated in national parks and native forests.

Fires in open grass lands with lower fuel loads can be managed and contained. Those in forests are uncontrollable. We need to reintroduce low intensity silvicultural practices across our forest estate to reduce fuel loads, increase forest health, reduce noxious weeds and prevent catastrophic fires.

All fire breaks should be assessed on the type, height and fire risk of vegetation not some demarcated figure ie. 10 meters.

We also need to look at cool buffers where vegetation is retained but canopy cover and stem density reduced. These should be implemented off fire breaks, roads, access lines, around houses, subdivisions and towns. These buffers should be regularly burnt (every year) which reduces the area of forest to be maintained with more frequent larger hazard reduction burns which are risky and difficult to manage.

Native vegetation must also be back burned when the seasonal conditions suit not on prescribed fire rotations set by some university academic or government bureaucrat.

For decades government policy has been focused on kicking people out of the environment. From foresters to graziers to beekeepers - there has been increasing restriction on access to our national estate. This takes people out of the environment who are best equipped to manage it and are willing to invest their own time, resources and lives to protect it.
Read the rest at
https://www.queenslandcountrylife.com.au/story/6485447/climate-change-doesnt-cause-fires/?cs=4726
 

NightVale

Sparrow
Australia has a regular cycle of floods, drought, fires.
It's the "lucky country" because you're bloody lucky if mother nature doesn't kill you.

It wasn't that long ago that some of those areas on fire now were devastated by floods.
The current fire situation seems particularly bad, but it's really hard to tell if it's worse than previous fires because of the media and social media hysteria.

The country folk know that the greenies protest backburning. They pretty much protest anything that may prevent disasters like fires or floods.
The city folk play a stupid game of semantics where they claim the Green Party was not in power at a certain date therefore their ideology could not be responsible for anything that happens, ever.

Just before all this we endured a bunch of childish protestors shutting down cities so they could rant about climate change.

183 arrests for arson would indicate that climate change may not be the main culprit in these fires.
 

Bolly

Pelican
I spent time down under on a working holiday visa, it was a time in my life where I probably matured the most and have such fond memories. I'll always have an appreciation for Australia. Watching the news tonight I actually felt sad, seeing some places burn where I've been.

Watching Australia burn and then thinking about the US military adventures in the middle east pisses me the fuck off. I've been dwelling on this tonight and it seriously irritates me the more I think about it. The news was saying how the Australian military is having to call up reservists, and pay volunteer firefighters who are already stretched so thin. And I'm just like man, if the US military wasn't being wasted, we could offer to load our boys onto C-17's, ship them to Australia and give our cousins down under a helping hand. Here when we have wildfires the National Guard gets called in quite often. And here it's winter so it ain't like we're at risk right now for our own fires. We could actually be productive ambassadors of goodwill and use the American military as a global force for good as our navy says instead of an occupation force in oil and opium rich countries.

I dunno. I'm just venting. God be with you guys down there.

 
The bigger issues are the lack of controlled fires that were common in the past. The locals used to burn regularly certain areas in order to stop large-scale fires. But the fake environmentalists stopped that similar to California claiming that all fires are evil.

Then when it strikes, then they blame global warming and CO2 for this which is bollocks from start to finish - they would blame you for a sudden temperature drop as well.

And I wouldn't exclude elite-shananigans with all of this - there have been credible cases in the US of environmental agencies - even official ones - creating fires. They may have technologies to do it now - HAARP. Actually we know that HAARP can do it and there is a 1970s UN treaty that forbids it to use the tech against other countries, but every country can of course do it on their own country with impunity.
 
Simeon_Strangelight said:
The bigger issues are the lack of controlled fires that were common in the past. The locals used to burn regularly certain areas in order to stop large-scale fires. But the fake environmentalists stopped that similar to California claiming that all fires are evil.

Then when it strikes, then they blame global warming and CO2 for this which is bollocks from start to finish - they would blame you for a sudden temperature drop as well.
As mentioned by this salt of the earth fellow in the Forum Lounge thread, courtesy Cynical Contrarian:

 

Rush87

Ostrich
^It's more about the green tape they put around back burning. In a similar way to how the EU stretches their beurocratic arm, the greens have you jumping through hoops to gain approvals from "original cultural owners" (Meaning some bloke named Albert, who once upon a time had ancestors who lived on said land), biodiversity experts and green party members themselves, meaning that someone is going to object, and said backburnings will either be delayed, limited, or rendered ineffective.​
 

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Australia is actually adapted to human fire-stick farming. The natives developed and maintained this practice for tens of thousands of years. The flora/fauna is dependent on this practice in order to maintain itself. So, failing to continue this practice is actually sabotaging the environment, and in many ways an insult to the native population. (In other words, reality disconnected leftist/greens at their best.)

"...Paleoecological records coincident with the putative arrival of modern humans <I.e Aboriginal people`s> show possible changes in burning regimes and subsequent trophic-level shifts in ecological communities—a fragmentation of woodlands and forests and an expansion of grasses, particularly Triodia (the inedible spinifex grass)—which may have contributed to Australia's late Pleistocene extinctions (6, 13).

Furthermore, some propose that with the establishment of anthropogenic fire mosaics throughout the continent, flora and fauna coevolved with human behavior to such an extent that the cessation of burning with European incursion into the continent precipitated a second major trophic collapse, leading to severe declines in small-to-medium-sized mammal population..." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2567447/
 

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
Johnnyvee said:
Australia is actually adapted to human fire-stick farming. The natives developed and maintained this practice for tens of thousands of years. The flora/fauna is dependent on this practice in order to maintain itself. So, failing to continue this practice is actually sabotaging the environment, and in many ways an insult to the native population. (In other words, reality disconnected leftist/greens at their best.)

"...Paleoecological records coincident with the putative arrival of modern humans <I.e Aborigine`s> show possible changes in burning regimes and subsequent trophic-level shifts in ecological communities—a fragmentation of woodlands and forests and an expansion of grasses, particularly Triodia (the inedible spinifex grass)—which may have contributed to Australia's late Pleistocene extinctions (6, 13).

Furthermore, some propose that with the establishment of anthropogenic fire mosaics throughout the continent, flora and fauna coevolved with human behavior to such an extent that the cessation of burning with European incursion into the continent precipitated a second major trophic collapse, leading to severe declines in small-to-medium-sized mammal population..."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2567447/
So the fire is white people's fault. I knew it.

Aloha!
 

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Kona said:
Johnnyvee said:
Australia is actually adapted to human fire-stick farming. The natives developed and maintained this practice for tens of thousands of years. The flora/fauna is dependent on this practice in order to maintain itself. So, failing to continue this practice is actually sabotaging the environment, and in many ways an insult to the native population. (In other words, reality disconnected leftist/greens at their best.)

"...Paleoecological records coincident with the putative arrival of modern humans <I.e Aborigine`s> show possible changes in burning regimes and subsequent trophic-level shifts in ecological communities—a fragmentation of woodlands and forests and an expansion of grasses, particularly Triodia (the inedible spinifex grass)—which may have contributed to Australia's late Pleistocene extinctions (6, 13).

Furthermore, some propose that with the establishment of anthropogenic fire mosaics throughout the continent, flora and fauna coevolved with human behavior to such an extent that the cessation of burning with European incursion into the continent precipitated a second major trophic collapse, leading to severe declines in small-to-medium-sized mammal population..."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2567447/
So the fire is white people's fault. I knew it.

Aloha!
Well, the natives also changed Australia and eradicated tons in species in the process with this practice. But the landscape and animals adapted, that`s the point. But you`re right in the sense that it`s white liberals fault, just like our Aussie friend in the video pointed out.
 
Gusamaso said:
Wow - hundreds of people setting fire - possibly thousands all across the country and the media does not mention it as if the bushfires just were ignited by CO2.

Never let a crisis go to waste.

In reality the report should be concentrated on capturing and using the population to look for those morons. A curfew for under 18-year-olds would even help in some regions.

But no - no matter what happens it's fucking climate change/global warming/ taxing of the useless eaters as cause and solution.
 

AlreadyGone

Sparrow
Holy smokes (no pun intended) well hope everyone is safe I think :thinking face:

I'll blame the fire on forest killers and abortionists.
 

Hansel

Sparrow
Johnnyvee said:
Australia is actually adapted to human fire-stick farming. The natives developed and maintained this practice for tens of thousands of years. The flora/fauna is dependent on this practice in order to maintain itself. So, failing to continue this practice is actually sabotaging the environment, and in many ways an insult to the native population. (In other words, reality disconnected leftist/greens at their best.)

"...Paleoecological records coincident with the putative arrival of modern humans <I.e Aboriginal people`s> show possible changes in burning regimes and subsequent trophic-level shifts in ecological communities—a fragmentation of woodlands and forests and an expansion of grasses, particularly Triodia (the inedible spinifex grass)—which may have contributed to Australia's late Pleistocene extinctions (6, 13).

Furthermore, some propose that with the establishment of anthropogenic fire mosaics throughout the continent, flora and fauna coevolved with human behavior to such an extent that the cessation of burning with European incursion into the continent precipitated a second major trophic collapse, leading to severe declines in small-to-medium-sized mammal population..." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2567447/
No. Almost every civilisation began with slash and burn farming. You don't see current ecosystems around the world toppling because people stopped doing that.

But sure, I don't mind spreading this narrative to shut down Monsanto.
 

Eusebius

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I used to work in planning and data science for one of the major Australian fire services. These fires are very bad. While fire is natural on this continent, two decades of limiting controlled burns have led to this. It's a tragedy and what's worse, it will be blamed on "climate change" and in 10 years it will happen again.
 

Tex Cruise

Kingfisher
Kingsley Davis said:
Fuck The Chats. That little ranga released this the other day, blaming the PM for the fires as well as calling him out for being "Right-wing, racist, homophobic, and believing in Jesus"

Hansel said:
No. Almost every civilisation began with slash and burn farming. You don't see current ecosystems around the world toppling because people stopped doing that.
Did every other civilisation do the same thing over and over for 60 000 years up until 150-200 years ago?
Ecosystems are not static, and they don't return to default settings if you leave them alone.
 
Top