Chess Thread

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
Given the size of RVF, I figure we must have a bunch of guys who play chess on the popular sites.

I actually on my 2nd tag played a guy with the same tag as a former RVF member the other day...though he didn't respond to my message.

If anyone is active online and wants to play sometime we should have a thread for it.

I'm on chess.com and lichess.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
I just had to make a burner account on chess.com (my main one unfortunately has my name on it in lichess and chess.com)

My account on lichess: midnightmare

My account on chess.com: midnightmare2018

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Man I used to do a big rip of good cocaine and play chess.com for a couple hours. The intensity of the combo and the strategy just went together.

Almost killed my love for the game sober.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
Laner said:
Man I used to do a big rip of good cocaine and play chess.com for a couple hours. The intensity of the combo and the strategy just went together.

Almost killed my love for the game sober.

I haven't tried that combo before. I'm addicted to speed chess. Not as bad anymore. When I was in my early teens though I was nuts. I remember one weekend where I played 800 games of bullet.

Chess.com is nice because at the higher levels theres more titled players to play but the interface is horrendous. Its so choppy. I can't watch netflix like I usually do while I play. Lichess is so much smoother.

All the kids these days are just too fast for me. Makes it really tough to rip bullet as much as I used too. Can still get 2200s on both servers but anyone 2400 or above rips me a new one just about every time. Maybe with your combo I could keep up.

Dallas Winston

Ostrich
Gold Member
My great Uncle played Bobby Fischer in the 70's and actually beat him. Albeit, it was one of those combo games where Fischer was playing 10 people are the same time going from table to table, but still a cool story.

He taught me when I was about 8 so I've always liked it. When I used to work offshore during college summers, we'd either spend downtime playing cards or chess. I usually won the chess games.

Haven't played much since but it's fun and keeps the mind sharp.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
robreke said:
My great Uncle played Bobby Fischer in the 70's and actually beat him.

That's still very impressive to beat him in a simul. For the most part those guys do not lose in live simuls. Given Fischer is strength your uncle probably was National Master level I'd assume (if the time controls were lengthy).

One of the downsides to how chess players have moved from ICC to chess.com is you don't really get the huge gap in rating matches. (Chess.com automatically sets your search paremeter at -200 +200. You can manually change it then. With rating pools if you were a 2000+ you could forseeably match a Super GM.

joost

Kingfisher
robreke said:
My great Uncle played Bobby Fischer in the 70's and actually beat him. Albeit, it was one of those combo games where Fischer was playing 10 people are the same time going from table to table, but still a cool story.

Unless your uncle is a famous chess player, it is hard to believe. Playing against 10 people at the same time is not difficult as it sounds. Magnus Carlsen did it plenty of times and some books says doing it is actually good since it "clears" your mind.

I won few local tournaments when I was 12 to 17 but then I lost interest. My ELO was around 1900. Not impressive but decent.

I highly recommend buying Chessmaster (10th ed I think). Joshua Waitzkin teaches you from scratch and it's quite good even for advanced users. Importantly you learn end game (the most important). Some concepts were new for me.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
joost said:
robreke said:

Unless your uncle is a famous chess player, it is hard to believe. Playing against 10 people at the same time is not difficult as it sounds. Magnus Carlsen did it plenty of times and some books says doing it is actually good since it "clears" your mind.

I won few local tournaments when I was 12 to 17 but then I lost interest. My ELO was around 1900. Not impressive but decent.

It's possible but his uncle would've had to been atleast NM strength I'd say if not better. Very improbable a 2000 rated player or an expert player would pull that off.

I agree playing 10 weaker players isn't as difficult as it sounds. Fischer's knowledge of the openings he was playing would've been high enough that he could basically blitz through them and probably be up material on quite a few of the boards entering the mid game.

Theres a show on netflix called Magnus detailing his rise from little kid to world champion. I'm pretty sure in one part of it Magnus goes 18-0 in a simul.

Belgrano

Ostrich
Gold Member
lavidaloca said:
joost said:
robreke said:

It's possible but his uncle would've had to been atleast NM strength I'd say if not better. Very improbable a 2000 rated player or an expert player would pull that off.

It seems very unlikely.

10 boards is nothing, Fischer in the mid 60s to mid 70s would have wiped the floor with 10 IM level players, maybe even lower rated grandmasters. NM is way too optimistic here, he was the world champion and strongest player at the time.

Playing a simul as a player of peak Fischer's strength is not difficult at all to begin with. I'd be surprised if on average he'd spend more than 5 minutes in total during the whole event having to come up with an original idea or plan.

It's all "been there, done that" for him, he can basically play the whole thing on autopilot.
You play an opening and know some theory, well, Fischer knows all the theory, and he knows it a lot better than you.
Most people would already lose the game at this stage, without noticing.
He also doesn't blunder.
He doesn't allow you to start a mating attack that's going anywhere.
You won't be able to simplify into an advantageous endgame either.
If you have survived until this point, you will at best have an equal endgame where he'll squeeze you until you break under the pressure.
Or it's really elemental and you manage to hold it, which would be impressive.
Then you have a draw, not bad at all.

Most importantly, a strong master playing a simul will notice pretty quickly who the best players among the participants are, and will make sure to be careful and pay some extra attention to them.

So I find it a bit hard to believe. But hey, maybe Bobby had a bad day.
Or maybe it was a clock simul with a shit ton of boards and your great uncle flagged him. :laugh:

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
@Belgrano I agree suggesting NM was even being generous.

With that said I was going off of elo probabilities... see this article https://www.mark-weeks.com/aboutcom/aa03a25.htm

With that said that 1-3 points / 100 an NM would be expected to score against a player of Fischers caliber would likely be only generated from draws it is remotely possible.

I think the elo system and probabilities are less accurate the higher rated the players are. A 1000 rated player beating a 1600 seems much more likely as both of those level of players are going to make a lot of mistakes / blunders.

Fabiano Caruana and Magnus Carlsen are playing right now in the Sinquefield Cup...I believe if Fabiano wins he will technically be the #1 rated player granted the tournament is still in progress.

Magnus is up at the moment but time is tight. Magnus is down to 3 minutes. Magnus has to make 10 moves in 1 minute 30 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmAhVZFYZEY

Dallas Winston

Ostrich
Gold Member
[align=right]
joost said:
robreke said:

I highly recommend buying Chessmaster (10th ed I think). Joshua Waitzkin teaches you from scratch and it's quite good even for advanced users. Importantly you learn end game (the most important). Some concepts were new for me.

Hard to believe or not, it happened. And yes, It may have been more than 10 players that Fischer was playing. All I know is it was a combo game that happened in, I believe, in New Orleans and there were multiple players. Hell, it could have been 20 or more.

At the time I heard the story and when my family was talking about it at other times, I was very young, less than 10 years old. I offered 10 players just as an example of the fact that Fischer was playing multiple people.

As far as what level my Uncle was, I don't remember if he was Master, Grand Master, etc. I do know he was known for being very good at chess and playing many tournaments. It's possible he was a master. I don't remember hearing exactly what level since, again, it was a long time ago and I didn't know enough about chess/ chess master levels to ask.

Chess has played a huge role in my life. If you are a professional chess player, anticipating and predicting your opponent/partner/colleague/friend/stranger's next steps becomes second nature to you. Kudos to my mom for taking me to chess school at the age of 6. Chess and swimming are the only sports I will make sure my kids are very proficient in. Chess for mind and swimming for body/safety.

lavidaloca

Pelican
Gold Member
robreke said:
As far as what level my Uncle was, I don't remember if he was Master, Grand Master, etc. I do know he was known for being very good at chess and playing many tournaments. It's possible he was a master. I don't remember hearing exactly what level since, again, it was a long time ago and I didn't know enough about chess/ chess master levels to ask.

Edit: I actually found a New Orleans simul where Fischer dropped 3 games, won 70 and drew 1. Granted it was in 1964.

The 3 players he lost too were far from extraordinary.

2 Experts and a Class C player (granted the Class C player was 15 and could've been underrated)

I'm somewhat baffled that he dropped 3 games to players of that level he must have been playing extremely fast.

There is some dispute as to whether all 3 players were correctly named as the winners. (Some people are saying one of the guys who was in the newspaper as winning is not correct and that it was another who happened to be a very strong player.)

I will say this from looking at the games Fischer resigned in positions where he treated his opponent as though they were a professional player. I suspect he could've pulled out some of these games or atleast gotten draws despite being down.

Hypno

Crow
lavidaloca said:
robreke said:

Edit: I actually found a New Orleans simul where Fischer dropped 3 games, won 70 and drew 1. Granted it was in 1964.

2 Experts and a Class C player (granted the Class C player was 15 and could've been underrated)

I'm somewhat baffled that he dropped 3 games to players of that level he must have been playing extremely fast.

There is some dispute as to whether all 3 players were correctly named as the winners. (Some people are saying one of the guys who was in the newspaper as winning is not correct and that it was another who happened to be a very strong player.)

I will say this from looking at the games Fischer resigned in positions where he treated his opponent as though they were a professional player. I suspect he could've pulled out some of these games or atleast gotten draws despite being down.

Wow, I was going to call BS on the story because Fisher losing (as contrasted with a draw) to an average player, even at age 21 and even in a multi with dozens of players, is highly unlikely. Figured someone's uncle fibbed their entire life, and his nephew is honestly repeating the fib.

Dallas Winston

Ostrich
Gold Member
lavidaloca said:
robreke said:

I had assumed the game was played in the 70s because that's when I heard it. I was a kid then. I was wrong though.

I just googled that article. Yes, my Uncle is listed on there as a "giant killer" in the '64 games where he, indeed, defeated Fischer. The game is also archived on chessgames.com. I won't say his name and please don't anyone here but...Case closed!