Chess Thread

Rob Banks

Pelican
^ "sometimes, he’d take his queen on a four-move tour of the board before swapping her home square with the king’s, letting his opponent develop their pieces while he showboated. This is a more elaborate version of a popular joke opening known as the “Bongcloud.” "

Reminds me of the current predicament the Dems are in.

First, their (99,976% White) Queen Warren (or is it Queen Buttligieg?) waltzes blindly through the opening primaries - while gaining no real ground - but then the frail old King Sanders (who was supposed not to move, as he was to be a mere symbolic presence) decides to boldly step forward, thus making the game farcical and unwinnable by the Dems.

So it's like the Dems are not seriously trying to win this election. They are Bongclouding, while their opponent, who's both King and (Trump-)Tower, is deep in 4-D chess.
This post did not age well.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Beat the Beth Harmon AI ranked 1600 on chess.com, but the 1880 AI is a whole different kind of monster. It doesn’t seem to make any mistakes at all, which is what I usually capitalize on to gain an advantage.

nathan

Robin
I used to play a lot, like 10 years ago. I probably was never as good as some of the people on this thread (and would likely get beaten easily right now) but my highlight was probably beating a computer that was ELO ~2000 one time. I'll get back into it one day.

godzilla

Pelican
Anything over 1600-1700 is actually very impressive. If chess were a sport, you'd be a semi-professional. I hadn't played since I was 11 until recently, and my score around 1000. That's still good enough to be around the top 50% of chess.com (according to them), so there are actually a lot of people at the bottom.

I've beaten the 1880 Beth Harmon bot twice actually, though I lost a bunch of times before I won. Its very difficult but the bot is better against certain defenses then others. (or I just play other defense better?)

Easy_C

Peacock
I should probably do this more although I’ve gravitated towards more complex skirmish games.

Used to be good but I’m probably not. Back in high school I managed to play a local champion to a draw.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Seems like Lichess and Chess.com are very different for some reason. On Lichess I'm ranked almost 1250, regularly beating other players in that area, but on Chess.com I've never even made it to 1000.

Peacock
Gold Member
Seems like Lichess and Chess.com are very different for some reason. On Lichess I'm ranked almost 1250, regularly beating other players in that area, but on Chess.com I've never even made it to 1000.

Lichess' ratings are inflated, kind of like American women's apparel size system.

I think I have the ability to get to 2000 ELO and that will be a goal for the next couple of years. Agadmator and blitz games are helping me improve quickly.
2000 is really, really, really good, it's not something you can get to by watching a couple of videos.

Peacock
Gold Member

Good Icelandic doc about the late days of Bobby Fisher. He made a lifelong friend while competing for the world championship in Reijkjavik back in 1972 IIRC, his bodyguard there. Later on, Bobby was harrassed by US authorities who forced Japan to jail him, and his bodyguard and Japanese girlfriend tried to get him out. That is the tl;dr here.

I saw the biggest improvement in my rating when I start analyzing my games with chess machines. After each game I would look where I did my first mistake and then I took print-screens and stored in different Word-files based on the opponents' openings.

That way I started to remember what move that is considered to be the best option in a particular position and would always start the first 8-12 moves great because they were just automatic and I wouldn't even have to think about what move I was going to do. So that will set you up for a good foundation for the rest of the game.

The second thing is to practice and solve chess puzzles with speed. I did about 10-20 every day for a few months and saw big improvements.

With that said, this is actually not something I would recommend anyone unless you are trying to become a pro or just want to try it out for a little bit. I've had periods of a severe chess addiction, I could do all-nighters before work and wasted a tremendous amount of time on this game while the only thing it has really given me is a few dopamine spikes by beating some autistic nerd in a 3rd World country. And I also tried to delete accounts from these chess sites only to be back there within a few days.

I would have been much better off studying the stock market or such and doing something better with my time so I try to stick with only doing a few games per month now. Chess can literally ruin your life.

Are you a titled player (GM/IM/FM/CM)? Would be interested in playing you.

"GM" Haha, no.

No, but I come across players with "CM" attached to their account when I play online and I've won some and lost some.

We can have a game, which site? Seems like most here prefer chess.com, add "dominic_darkhorse" then.

Last edited:

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Nothing frustrates me and makes me feel dumber than a game of chess. I play it alot.

Chess can be humbling, that is for certain.

I find myself more frustrating when I am playing and I feel like I have no vision or don't see anything on the board.

Blowing a game by leaving a piece hanging is frustrating, but every so often it happens, especially with timed games.