Chess Thread

I just beat an Italian with the "NM" (National Master) title today in a 3 min blitz. I think I'm going to retire now.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Up to 1322, highest I’ve been ranked yet. That said whoever it was on here that I played last absolutely wrecked me, though I’ll blame that on being on tilt from a major unforced blunder in our previous game.

Kentemo

Robin
Gold Member
What's actually the best way to improve? I can't even win against people that are 800 or the lowest haha. Just started playing on chess.com today. Seems like there is a lot more depth to it than I thought.

What's the best way to improve? Just playing or reading some beginning strategies?

Hypno

Crow
What's actually the best way to improve? I can't even win against people that are 800 or the lowest haha. Just started playing on chess.com today. Seems like there is a lot more depth to it than I thought.

What's the best way to improve? Just playing or reading some beginning strategies?

Once you know the basics, I have had several chess coaches recommend chess puzzles to drill on strategies and tactics. A lot of the apps and websites have AI engines where they teach you a concept and keep giving you questions or puzzles on that concept until you master it.

My son was in the national scholastic tournament when he was in 7th grade. I was chatting up the chess coach of a local private high school. His son was in third grade and rated 1200. Guy had a 30 minute commute to school and would give his son his iPad with a chess app. So the kid probably put in an hour like this for a year, and was already rated 1200!

Later, you need to learn openings and all of their variations, but putting in the time with the puzzles will fast forward you up the learning curve on the openings, but the different variations are just employing different micro tactics that you will then recognize more quickly.

My son stopped playing for a long time. He picked it up again recently during Covid. Hes probably at 14-1500 level now but hasn't played in a rated tournament in years. He'll play games on chess.com for kicks, and cheat. He'll look at an AI engine to see what his best move is. He's been doing that for a month and he tells me that the cheating has helped him because now most times he has identified the best move.

The other thing he tells me is at this level, he plays more conservatively. He only makes a move if it increases his positional advantage. That is not something you can teach, its just a feel that comes from experience. He tells me when he was younger he thought he needed at least a pawn advantage to win in endgame, now he sacrifices pieces for positional advantage. He mostly wins because the positional advantage will often force the opponent to make mistakes.

Learning chess is a long journey, and enjoy the journey. Having attended dozens of scholastic tournaments, I've been told that the puzzles are the fastest way up the learning curve.

Elmore

Kingfisher
Play bltiz chess (3 mins, occasionally 5) on chess dot com throughout the day. It's become a bit of a habit, i love playing and like playing fast, making quick decisions under pressure of the clock appeals to me, and makes me think there's some sort of legit mental training to it.

Few things i've noted is that Americans are WAY more likely to resign having lost their queen than any other nationality. It's kinda remarkable. Ive chatted with other players about this and they agree.

For me i quite like it when i've made a big mistake, seeing if i can dig myself out of the hole.

Its quite a fun way of profiling countries and regions tbh. Germans i've found are bad sports, more likely to run the clock down than any other nation (eg rather than click resign either just walk away or look at something else).

If im beaten ill generally say well played. If a game hasnt been dull i'll at least type GG. Its quite rare you get a response, but Americans & Indians tend to more than others.

I float around 900 currently, i play fast blitzes so a fair amount of my wins are prob unconclusive time outs, so that's probably not a great metric.

Either way, chess is a fun game that on paper at least, sharpens the mind. Not convinced i've felt any deal sharper having got back into it this last 12 months though.

Peacock
Gold Member
If you want to improve on your current beginner rating, you might want to play longer games and master some of the basics through concentration.

So in the weekend I registered an account on this chess site with a girl's name and photo of a super hot chick.

Some games I've gotten completely destroyed and only have the king left and guys will offer me a draw and/or then message me later that I'm a very pretty woman and great player and should become their friend. Becoming a grand-master doesn't seem too far off anymore.

9vz2tTF.png

Sevomoz

Chicken
There’s a lot of youtube chess content. A lot of it falls into the chess entertainment category. But for a short time was interesting to peek into that world.

The current chess world champion is a Dane who is a bit of a chad. Magnus Carlsen is his name.

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
If any established members on the forum want to play some games or (free) improvement tips feel free to message me. I'm a solid player (Expert). Might make an alternate account so not to reveal my main ones online.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I haven't played in several years, but I will recommend the software program Chessmaster to anyone looking to better their game. I have an old copy which sadly I looked up and is still the most current version (Chessmaster XI, released in 2007).

It had a series of lessons and tutorials by International Master Josh Waitzkin and it had a bunch of famous games you could watch replays/commentary of. It's so old you should be able to pick it up for nothing, and it's worth it for the lessons alone. You may have to run it in compatibility mode.

nathan

Robin
I recently picked up chess again, a couple of months ago, after about a decade away from it. I agree that it is good for the brain. The active concentration required while playing helps to block out "bad" thoughts (immoral/demonic/intrusive) in a more healthy way than many other activities.

There’s a lot of youtube chess content. A lot of it falls into the chess entertainment category. But for a short time was interesting to peek into that world.

The current chess world champion is a Dane who is a bit of a chad. Magnus Carlsen is his name.
Its interesting too that although chess is not a physical activity the males are still better than their female equivalent. I watched Magnus destroy the female world champion on chess.com

Peacock
Gold Member
I haven't played in several years, but I will recommend the software program Chessmaster to anyone looking to better their game. I have an old copy which sadly I looked up and is still the most current version (Chessmaster XI, released in 2007).

It had a series of lessons and tutorials by International Master Josh Waitzkin and it had a bunch of famous games you could watch replays/commentary of. It's so old you should be able to pick it up for nothing, and it's worth it for the lessons alone. You may have to run it in compatibility mode.
How many floppy disks does the program use? =)