Chess Thread

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I play 5 min games on chess.com throughout the day. I never really focus adequately on it to take seriously, half the time i'm playing while my wife watches tv, or whilst listening to podcasts, as i enjoy having something to focus on whilst listening to the latter.

I got up to around 1100 a while back, but have drifted back to mid 900s.

If anyone wants a game feel free to pm me for my username

How many floppy disks does the program use? =)
I used to play that game!!

Although it did not improve me that much - I have a theory that you can only get good at chess to a certain level, you can improve but only to certain parameters, like if you are ELO 1000 like me (at my best sadly) then maybe you can get up to around 1200 by studying and practice. I think of it a bit like physical sport, if you are a guy who is naturally has a great physique and very strong then you have an advantage that a guy who does not can never match no matter how much they train.

Grandmasters are born rather than made is my point. Just a theory. In the local chess club where I live I found that guys over a certain ELO I just had no chance against - even after move 1 I felt like I was losing. However I did notice that the casuals that I play at home like my nephews and friends who I would win some, lose some against, now I am just destroying them. So my game improved but only in my league, if you know what I mean.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I play mostly the 10 minute games on chess.com over the winter. I have been rated into 1300s and cracked 1400 on 10 minute games, but usually I fall back to between 12-1300.

One thing that helped me in chess, was working on a line like the "Kings Gambit", and learning it well when I play white. It's a particularly aggressive opening which isn't often used at the highest levels, but it makes for an exciting game. For me, I have found that playing multiple games and working on a line gets you very comfortable with it. Then every once in a while (or when you lose) you have to go back to the line and see what you did wrong. If you can open 5 or 6 moves deep with a fair amount of confidence, I think it's a big advantage. It also throws some players off as it's an "oddball" opening, vs. say queens gambit which is perhaps the most common.

Mostly I like to play the Kings Gambit because it makes for an exciting game.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I recently came across a very unique character who claims to be a very close friend of Bobby Fischers-- Sam Sloan.
He is a former financial securities dealer, chess player, and has run for public office a number of times. There are many CSPAN videos about him. He is also the last living person to ever argue his own case before the Supreme Court. He beat the SEC in a Supreme Court case without using a lawyer, after which the Supreme Court banned non-lawyers from appearing before them.

Here he is discussing a bit of the awful way the US government treated Bobby Fischer.

And here is his review of the film Pawn Sacrifice, which I am now motivated to watch:

I was invited to an advanced screening of the movie Pawn Sacrifice held on Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10AM in New York City, based on the fact that I had been a close friend of Bobby Fischer. I was invited to the screening by Katherine Matthews. Only three other people were there. Two were non-chess players who work for Chess in the Schools. I do not know if other advanced screenings were held. After the screening, I sent my comments on the movie as follows:
The movie was wonderful, marvelous.
It brought tears to my eyes.
I had no idea it would be so good.
It accurately depicted the turmoil going on within Fischer and the turmoil going on outside of him while he was on his way to the World Championship.

I have always enjoyed chess films, so I look forward to this one. Bobby Fischer is a very interesting guy, and I recommend the film "Searching for Bobby Fischer" which is really more about Josh Waitzkin but has a pretty cool song about Fischer featured in it.

I recently came across a very unique character who claims to be a very close friend of Bobby Fischers-- Sam Sloan.
He is a former financial securities dealer, chess player, and has run for public office a number of times. There are many CSPAN videos about him. He is also the last living person to ever argue his own case before the Supreme Court. He beat the SEC in a Supreme Court case without using a lawyer, after which the Supreme Court banned non-lawyers from appearing before them.

Here he is discussing a bit of the awful way the US government treated Bobby Fischer.

And here is his review of the film Pawn Sacrifice, which I am now motivated to watch:

I have always enjoyed chess films, so I look forward to this one. Bobby Fischer is a very interesting guy, and I recommend the film "Searching for Bobby Fischer" which is really more about Josh Waitzkin but has a pretty cool song about Fischer featured in it.
Thanks for posting this, definitely want to watch this. Fischer was such a fascinating and contradictory character.

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I'm in, I like the Lichess interface and features much better and closed my chess.com account a while back, but if everyone plays there can create another.

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member

Sloan has been around a long time and I remember him from the early internet say early 2000s. I think I may have even saw him at a tournament.

Funny thing about Fischer....he was part Jewish and actually was the first guy in my life who I remember addressing the Jewish question openly. Everyone in the chess world said he had gone mad.

No wonder why the gov was after him.

SimpleMan

Sparrow
Search on Youtube for the Chessnetwork "Beginner to Chess Master" series. Excellent and all free.

Chess.com has a ton of good content also, but I think it requires a subscription.

Also there's some good analysis of the Carlsen vs Caruana World Championship match at the moment which is really informative (e.g. John Bartholomew's youtube channel)

Thank you for that ChessNetwork recommendation.
I've watched a few yesterday and i'm learning some new things.

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I play mostly the 10 minute games on chess.com over the winter. I have been rated into 1300s and cracked 1400 on 10 minute games, but usually I fall back to between 12-1300.

One thing that helped me in chess, was working on a line like the "Kings Gambit", and learning it well when I play white. It's a particularly aggressive opening which isn't often used at the highest levels, but it makes for an exciting game. For me, I have found that playing multiple games and working on a line gets you very comfortable with it. Then every once in a while (or when you lose) you have to go back to the line and see what you did wrong. If you can open 5 or 6 moves deep with a fair amount of confidence, I think it's a big advantage. It also throws some players off as it's an "oddball" opening, vs. say queens gambit which is perhaps the most common.

Mostly I like to play the Kings Gambit because it makes for an exciting game.

Playing openings that let you practice tactics is great practice for most players. King's gambit is hardly ever seen at the highest levels since there the players know the best response so it's very risky, but for say anyone under 2000 it's playable especially in blitz.

If you want to play a super crazy opening look into the Traxler counterattack of the Italian game, since many players play the Knight attack as White giving you an opportunity to play the Traxler.

nathan

Robin
I checked out lichess and I agree it is better. I made a "team" on lichess, which I guess is equivalent to a "club" on chess.com. Not really sure what features are available for lichess teams, but if anything we can just use it as an easy way to play matches with each other. Kind of tired of 10-minute blitz chess on chess.com tbh

Should I post it here publicly or keep it private by DM only?

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Chess hurts my feelings on a regular basis, thank God for such a salvific game!
I used to stand up from my computer, kick the chair across the room and sometimes rip open the t-shirt I was wearing when I lost to a player who was ranked lower than me. I've learned to take defeat a bit more gracefully since then, but it still really irks me.

nathan

Robin
I'm in, I like the Lichess interface and features much better and closed my chess.com account a while back, but if everyone plays there can create another.

Thanks again for this tip. I'm really enjoying the chess puzzles. I got pretty good at chess about 10 years ago, and part of the reason was because I would play the Chessmaster Mobile version chess puzzles whenever I was waiting around (as opposed to checking fb, news, etc). Since I picked up chess again a couple months ago, I had been looking for similar types of puzzles ("find the fork", "mate in 2", etc) and couldn't find anything like that, but that's exactly what lichess has.

Brother Abdul Majeed

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I'm also in. I'd never heard of Lichess until I read this thread. I just signed up for an account, so I'm ready to play. How do we go about having an RVF tournament (or chess ladder) and crowning a champion (which I likely won't be).

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Feel free to add me to the lichess group or PM me with how to join.

My only gripe with Lichess is they did post some woke blm support last year, but I've never seen anything else politically motivated.