China's 996 Work Culture

Maddox

Woodpecker
Interesting video on how the 996 work culture in China has taken a toll on the mental and physical health of the Chinese workers. I would never work those hours, even if I was the owner of a startup and benefited directly from it.

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
East Asians tend to be workaholics by nature. In China's case, I would attribute it to "catching up" to the rest of the world after Commie Mao basically destroyed the country from within.

Keep in mind that China has been around for thousands of years, and they've had a lot of time to fine tune things. I imagine as their quality of life improves via technological advancements, they'll ease up on those crazy work hours. Expect to see these developments in a decade or two once they reclaim their title of world superpower (which they've held for most of human history)

bubs

Sparrow
I watched the 996 special on Vice, and although very sad state for China and other countries (including the US), it really points to the issue of greed and the owners / leadership competing yet following the lead of other peer companies within industry. If financially successful company “A” maximizes their bottom line by exploiting their workers into piling on work and long hours as the expectation (usually done to salaries employees that don’t get paid for overtime), then other companies will follow that model because all those in charge care about is their bottom line and not their employees. With no other options as stated in the documentary, only choice to escape the long hours from industry is to become a peasant and drop out of the middle class. That is doable if you are single and only need to be concerned for yourself but if your family relies on your income and social standing, it’s a really tough situation for most.

Didn't China rule this work culture illegal and get rid of Jack Ma?

The senior CCP leadership appears to be very concerned about China's families/culture going the way of Japan or South Korea. And so they are using their power to push against 9/9/6, and other things that will cause young people to not want to have children/more children. These men at the top are far from stupid, and have the long view compared to America, with its four year cycles of often short-sighted leadership and deep pockets lobbying.

bubs

Sparrow
The senior CCP leadership appears to be very concerned about China's families/culture going the way of Japan or South Korea. And so they are using their power to push against 9/9/6, and other things that will cause young people to not want to have children/more children. These men at the top are far from stupid, and have the long view compared to America, with its four year cycles of often short-sighted leadership and deep pockets lobbying.
The same Chinese leadership that limited 1 child per family due to overpopulation (which was a disaster…led to too many males in society) but now they want to encourage more breeding of their population? Not sure I’m following along here.

The same Chinese leadership that limited 1 child per family due to overpopulation (which was a disaster…led to too many males in society) but now they want to encourage more breeding of their population? Not sure I’m following along here.
The one child policy was enacted in 1980 under Deng, and before that Mao was a proponent of high birthrates as the Chinese nation 'had to be plentiful to be strong'

The obvious factionalism, 40 year gap and changing societal circumstances (ie. falling birthrates) explain this change in policy

We don't equate AOC to a Southern style Conservative Democrat during the 70s either.

Last edited:

grenade001

Woodpecker
40 year gap and changing [spam link removed - mod] societal circumstances

The only ones really taking Singaporean brides from overseas are mainly qualified men from Malaysia and Indonesia who had girlfriends in Singapore whilst they were working there.

If anything, China is a source of brides for mainly older Singaporean men. There were movies and TV shows where it was featured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamboozler

Pigeon
So the American elite's favourite geopolitics mastermind,Zbig Brzezinski, was right after all, the process of convergence does exist. China, Japan, South Korea ,and I guess many other Asiatic countries merged in practice two seemingly contradictory ideologies - capitalism and communism, which are two offshoots of the same materialistic root. The main underpinning of the two ideas is basically the same - life begins and ends here, all we can do is to improve our physicial, tangible, empirically measurable well-being on this earth. The difference between them is based on
the means, not the goal.

It was put well in one documentary about everyday life in Japan which I saw years ago - communism pretending to be capitalism. Add to it some Asiatic committment, plus the totally unfathomable (from the European point of view) level of discipline, plus the spiritual desert of murky, flexible-as-you-will eastern philosophies and voila!. the concoction's ready. Fully automated society that produces surplus of wealth, but cannot reproduce itself. Consume and die.

I do pity those poor souls. The golden cage is the most difficult to escape from. It's not like white men countries are that much different in terms of addiction to luxuries, but we have ,in the worst case scenario, a memory of Christian culture and the notion of inherent human dignity that comes with it, keeping it all less soulles and more bearable.

So the American elite's favourite geopolitics mastermind,Zbig Brzezinski, was right after all, the process of convergence does exist. China, Japan, South Korea ,and I guess many other Asiatic countries merged in practice two seemingly contradictory ideologies - capitalism and communism, which are two offshoots of the same materialistic root. The main underpinning of the two ideas is basically the same - life begins and ends here, all we can do is to improve our physicial, tangible, empirically measurable well-being on this earth. The difference between them is based on
the means, not the goal.

It was put well in one documentary about everyday life in Japan which I saw years ago - communism pretending to be capitalism. Add to it some Asiatic committment, plus the totally unfathomable (from the European point of view) level of discipline, plus the spiritual desert of murky, flexible-as-you-will eastern philosophies and voila!. the concoction's ready. Fully automated society that produces surplus of wealth, but cannot reproduce itself. Consume and die.

I do pity those poor souls. The golden cage is the most difficult to escape from. It's not like white men countries are that much different in terms of addiction to luxuries, but we have ,in the worst case scenario, a memory of Christian culture and the notion of inherent human dignity that comes with it, keeping it all less soulles and more bearable.

I recently saw a video about how the people of Japan are often not even familiar anymore with the basic tenets of Buddhism! Lol A group of monks started a bar, where upon request they will give a free "mini sermon" about the Buddhist meme/subject of your choice (but the drinks are not free). The place has proven extremely popular...