(Christian) Gifts For Children

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I am posting this in the ladies forum, as I'd be suspicious of any man who could give good gift buying advice.

My friend had a baby earlier in the year. I was away and I looked for gifts at a few village fairs in places like Hungary, but didn't see anything that I found particularly worthy.

The only thing that has taken my interest is a ride-on monster truck.

childrens-ride-on-monster-truck-hammacher-schlemmer-640x533.jpg

It seems a good gift as my friend was raised by a very business-savvy, but aloof father. As a result he was given to being more feminine, latent feminism and being beta!. That all snapped a few years ago and he has since done a 180 and is attracted to all things masculine; having a penchant for anything that would ruffle the feathers of wet-towel-types fretting about global warming around their community compost heap. An unapologetic monster truck seems to be a good start for a child, for a father who wants his son to benefit from being brought up in the masculinity he was not.

However, this is not really an appropriate gift for a child of a few months old. I imagine it is for children 4+.

What ideas can you suggest? Christian ideas would be preferred, but not necessary. Hence the bracketing in the title.

One thing I am mindful of is that many gifts are essentially tat and/or discarded. It would be good if the gift would have continued valued. I remember many of my Christmas gifts, and I don't know where any of them are now as they were, really, of little value.

EntWife

Robin
Woman
At 5 months, the baby is too young for most toys. A small stuffed animal is a good option. If you want something religious, you can add bibs with a Christian message ("Jesus loves me") or a picture of an ark or something. Any religious message has to be pretty simple at this point. One of my sons has a small bear with a cross embroidered on its chest that he was given as a baby.

Those are all fairly inexpensive. If you're wanting to spend more money on the little cutie, I'd suggest you give something inexpensive like a stuffed animal that is okay if the baby slobbers on it, then add something else, like a nice keepsake. You could give a hand painted Christmas ornament, perhaps with his name on it. There are also Christmas decorations that babies and children find fascinating, with lights, bright colors, moving parts, and music. There's one based on the Nutcracker Suite that my children love.

Edit to add: Here's an example, though not the same as what my children have.

Last edited:

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I am posting this in the ladies forum, as I'd be suspicious of any man who could give good gift buying advice.

My friend had a baby earlier in the year. I was away and I looked for gifts at a few village fairs in places like Hungary, but didn't see anything that I found particularly worthy.

It seems a good gift as my friend was raised by a very business-savvy, but aloof father. As a result he was given to being more feminine, latent feminism and being beta!. That all snapped a few years ago and he has since done a 180 and is attracted to all things masculine; having a penchant for anything that would ruffle the feathers of wet-towel-types fretting about global warming around their community compost heap. An unapologetic monster truck seems to be a good start for a child, for a father who wants his son to benefit from being brought up in the masculinity he was not.

However, this is not really an appropriate gift for a child of a few months old. I imagine it is for children 4+.

What ideas can you suggest? Christian ideas would be preferred, but not necessary. Hence the bracketing in the title.

One thing I am mindful of is that many gifts are essentially tat and/or discarded. It would be good if the gift would have continued valued. I remember many of my Christmas gifts, and I don't know where any of them are now as they were, really, of little value.
The monster truck strikes me as a little over the top. Books and board games are good go-to’s. I make a point to never buy the children in my family either digital toys/games or sugary things because they get way too much of that from all the other relatives. Outdoor games are good, ive even done silly things like oversized lawn toys and inflatables, like soccer balls. Kids under 12 get a kick out of it and they gotta go out sometime. Too much screen time from their parents, and they crave physical activity and being read real books. One of my favorites was bible stories that we were read over and over and I’ve never forgotten them.

Edit: I just read you posted the age as 5 months. If you’re married or have a SO, a handmade blanket is a great gift suitable for many ages and cherished for years. Just check with the parents about the preferred colors and you’ve got a winning gift.

Last edited:
As a kid, I enjoyed using binoculars to watch local wildlife in my area... I grew up in the land of bears, wolverines and moose...

A microscope also makes a great gift! If it's age appropriate...

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
It seems that you’re looking more for a keepsake for the child as opposed to a more practical gift like diapers or money (which is fine, by the way). As to that, it depends on how close you are to your friend and how much you want to spend.

A children’s Bible with a handwritten note on the inside cover to the parents and child will definitely be kept. I have one from when I was two and I read it to my children now. This is the version I was given and my son asks to read it every night:

If you’re leaning toward something more expensive (like your Noah’s Ark choice), depending on the parent’s denomination, a rosary or icon made with precious metals will certainly be passed through the future generations. If you decide to buy any jewelry, get the adult size, not child. Does the child have a patron saint?

Other heirloom type gifts for babies/children I can think of: high quality, handmade, Swiss music boxes; embellished or marble eggs; a hand carved, hangable cross for the wall over the child’s bed. On a side note, I think smaller more precious items will be kept as opposed to larger less valuable ones.

Save your best gift ideas for when the child is a little older and has more memory. I’d say eight years old about.

To be honest... I’m surprised you didn’t find anything in Hungary.

Last edited:

EntWife

Robin
Woman
As a kid, I enjoyed using binoculars to watch local wildlife in my area... I grew up in the land of bears, wolverines and moose...

A microscope also makes a great gift! If it's age appropriate...

This is for a baby, so binoculars wouldn't work, but you've given me a great idea for my kids! Thanks much.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Thanks.
I think I will go with stuffed toy, since that's going to be close to being used.

I will get something off Etsy, although it is owned by liberals, the bulk of the proceedings will at least go to some mother at home.-

il_1140xN.2570526440_h8h3.jpg

And to boot a crypto interest account.

If they were a bit older I would get them a handmade bauble. Not the type that any bird-brain would want to feather their nest with.

Trashing on guys to appear more sophisticated in front of women, classic move. ;)

Any man who is a font of gift ideas is a

440f55047008fe2-300300-gif.gif

Hypno

Crow
My brother in law gave my son a nice wooden Thomas the Train set when he was 4.

when he was about 6 or 7, a set of Hardy Boys books.

later, pocket knives, fishing pole, etc.

That uncle always had the best gifts.

Before they are 4 it doesn’t matter too much.

When my son was almost 3, I remember taking him to Home Depot. For those of you not in the US, it’s a giant hardware store and their logo is orange, so just about everything in the store is orange. We played a game to see if he could find anything that was the color orange. Man, he thought he was an expert at colors after that, he was so happy. Later, I took him to Dunkin’ Donuts for his first doughnut. At that age, I used to spend afternoons with him riding the commuter train to the end of the line and back home...sometimes the simplest things are thrilling.

When my niece was about four, I got her a pretty nice stuffed animal dog. Her parents didn’t want to get a real dog yet, because she was a little too young. She’s graduated from college now but still has that stuffed animal.

EntWife

Robin
Woman
Thanks.
I think I will go with stuffed toy, since that's going to be close to being used.

I will get something off Etsy, although it is owned by liberals, the bulk of the proceedings will at least go to some mother at home.-

il_1140xN.2570526440_h8h3.jpg

And to boot a crypto interest account.

If they were a bit older I would get them a handmade bauble. Not the type that any bird-brain would want to feather their nest with.
That looks nice, but before buying it, you might want to make sure there isn't wire in the halos. Imagine a wire popping out of there while Baby is chewing it. :( The halos might just be tightly crocheted and carefully positioned for the picture. Also, as Baby chews and slobbers on those figures, they will get tiny sorta threads? fuzz? coming off it and getting in his mouth.

I wonder if there's something like that, but sewn, with a nice, soft fabric.

Cyn

Chicken
Woman

Cyn

Chicken
Woman
The one thing new parents always need are diapers. So, my brother and SiL also failed at Social Distancing (thank god or we wouldn’t all have this little peanut of a blessing ) are due in Feb.
I’m going to create the craziest diaper cakes, made into a hot air ballon, airplanes, trucks , tractors a few others and use them as the centerpieces for the tables as well.
I’m literally buying the first 3 months in diapers so I have about 800-1000 diapers to work with .. sticking to mostly size 1s and a couple packs of 2s.
I didn’t want to give boring old boxes, and I wanted to do something special.
Check out the lady “Thoms Crafts and treats”
She gives step by step instructions and does beautiful and gender appropriate stuff

I tried posting a pic of some finished ones but they’re file size is to large

Cyn

Chicken
Woman

One thing I am mindful of is that many gifts are essentially tat and/or discarded. It would be good if the gift would have continued valued. I remember many of my Christmas gifts, and I don't know where any of them are now as they were, really, of

On second thought, I just realized you were a guy . I suggested the diaper cake things
So if it’s a dual gift with a wife or girlfriend have her do it... or if you’re solo, a subscription and delivery of diapers. Places like Honest co sell organic diapers (as most commercial brands do have some skeptical and sometimes down right dangerous chemicals in them) that have cool little designs on them too. Some are questionable so you just stick with the little trains
They’ll ship them 8 box’s of diapers and 4 wipes
You can do a month, 2 or 3 depending on what your budget is.
You can literally never have enough the first few months.
A practical gift, when it comes to those first few months will definitely be appreciated. Some of those days are still a blur from exhaustion.

Cyn

Chicken
Woman

You get him the monster truck at 3! Lol

Good luck

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
For a baby I would get books...there are little Christian board books you can get with Bible stories. We have some of those at home that we got at a major retailer surprisingly! They don't really need toys, stuffies are better when they're older but are also nice for the babies room. If they want clothing get 6+ months since some babies are big and outgrow newborn quickly! For future I'd make sure to figure out what the parents like for toys, although my kids will always appreciate every gift regardless a lot of parents (myself included) don't want electronic toys (although they have a few!) like instead of the big truck I'd do a balance bike personally. That does look like a lot of fun though haha