Christian name vs. Civil name for adult converts

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
If you're an adult convert, did you join the Orthodox Church using your civil name, or with a new Christian name?

If you changed your name, do you prefer to be addressed as your Christian name, or civil name, or different usage based on different context? Did you find the process to be uncomfortable?

Last edited:

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox
At the suggestion of my priest I chose a saint who had the same name I already had, which certainly simplified things. Most people who take a new name will continue to use their former name with family, friends, and co-workers but will use their new name at church (occasionally people wont even use their new name at church, but only when receiving the mysteries).

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
At the suggestion of my priest I chose a saint who had the same name I already had, which certainly simplified things.
I received the same advice.

It's up to you where to use your baptismal name. In church, when meeting new people, I give my baptismal name (Darius), though some in church like to call me Roosh. I leave it up to them. Outside of church, I don't use my baptismal name unless I'm in an Orthodox environment.