Christian response and guidance to coronavirus

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
Anytime someone asks me if I'm afraid of being around people who had coronavirus, I reply that I fear God and God alone.

Brother told me I should get tested a month ago because he had been around people who tested positive. I told him that I believe in the Bible and that I don't believe in the coronavirus.

Glaucon

Ostrich
Gold Member
I could use some advice about mask wearing and mass.

I am very reluctant to go to service wearing a mask, I feel like it is an insult against God, appearing in his house wearing that muzzle Satan put on us...

On the other hand it might be my laziness making excuses why not go, and just watch it live from home....

What is your opinion on this matter?

DanielH

Pelican
Orthodox

I am very reluctant to go to service wearing a mask, I feel like it is an insult against God, appearing in his house wearing that muzzle Satan put on us...

On the other hand it might be my laziness making excuses why not go, and just watch it live from home....

I agree mask wearing in church is ludicrous, but I wouldn't let that prevent me from going to church on Sunday. That's an obligation, the very minimum we're asked to do. Most or all of the blame for the mask wearing once you've voiced your concern would be with the priests and the bishops who enforce it.

In my case, my church requires it, and my spiritual father enforces it, because he is obedient to his bishop, so I will submit to the mask in church.

MichaelWitcoff

Ostrich
Orthodox

I will never, under any circumstances, cover my face in a Church.

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Orthodox

In my humble opinion, the furthest a mask should be acceptable, is the narthex (entrance). to wear it past there seems wrong from a ritualistic perspective.

I can sympathize with you, I see it as almost sacrilegious, but it's done out of complete insensitivity, for many aren't aware of what they're doing. The church is a hospital for sinners. How is it that we enter a church, asking for the healing and remission of sins, yet cover the place from where many of our sins proceed. Are we uniting as a body of believers if we treat our neighbour as a leper? Perhaps we don't realize that Jesus Christ cursed the fig tree (the first covering), and for good reason. The Christian life is an ordered one, where everything has a reason, time and place. Sin is nothing more than something being in the wrong time/place or for the wrong reason. In my mind, masks in the church bring into question whether people actually believe what they claim. I don't know how you worship God, and hide your face at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I understand that many priests/bishops want to keep their houses of worship open, but at what cost? Is it still the same faith? Is this the faith the martyrs suffered for? Earlier this week (Old Calendar), we commemorated the Martyr Balaam, who pagans put burning incense in his hand, hoping to get him to throw it on a pagan altar, chose to rather let the coal burn through his hand than to be perceived that he offered incense to the idols. Such faith seems to be missing today, or perhaps it's retreated to the catacombs already.

Forester

Robin

It's good to see some pastors continuing to speak out against so much of the nonsense we see going on. Aside from bringing to light the effects of the covid hysteria and lockdowns, I appreciated that he comments on how this factors in to the bigger picture when it comes to things like man's sinfulness and thirst for power & control, globalization, and the end times to come.