Cleaning Your Amazon Footprint

As I wrote elsewhere:
Many people are 'hooked' on Amazon - for good reason its' easy often appears to be cheaper. But for many of us concerned about privacy it's a big gaping hole, and sure to become bigger.

Amazon is banning books. I am sure most of you have bought at least one 'banned' book. That means you, as a reader of 'hate' material must be a hater too (never mind the irrationality of this of course you can read something or interview someone and not agree). I don't doubt Amz is full of SJW as well - how much data has been turned over to NGO's already?

I would say amazon is even more dangerous threat to privacy and security than social media - they have your buying patterns for a multitude of things not just books - your address, friends and relations addresses.... browsing search history and host of other stuf

I am sure, like all other big tech they are using your data in ways legal and illegal far beyond ToS. You should get off amazon as much as you can - since you can't simply delete an account I suggest:
  • Cancel your prime membership - just do it, you will find a way to get stuff you need.
  • delete the app on all devices, it's probably tracking you more than you think
  • delete all your address, put an old/bad one in.
  • delete credit cards
  • disable browsing history/delete it (yeah they probably track it anyway )
  • put some fake likes for r benign stuff like cooking.
  • delete all your reviews.
  • Break up your purchases - books - alibris - or B&N direct from authors when you can. find suppliers for other things (Ebay or direct - most vendors will ship 'free' these days for bulk orders - but even if they don't I have found that price is often lower than amazon. Amazon is surely big enough now to start the monopoly squeeze. )

any other tips?
** Update you can close your account but I would suggest cleaning it FIRST!

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
This is worth reading to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Amazon specific:

More tips:

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Does anyone know of an easy way to export your Amazon lists? I have a few lists of books I'd like to keep on hand. It's probably the only thing keeping me on Amazon.

Ughh another thing I was thiking
if you have a home device (Alexa) or Kindle it makes it difficult to permanently delete your account so scrubbing is an option.
Does anyone know of an easy way to export your Amazon lists? I have a few lists of books I'd like to keep on hand. It's probably the only thing keeping me on Amazon.
haven't tried this but:

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I use Audible to listen to audiobooks almost every day. I do have an app for my local library, Libby, where I can download audiobooks but the selection is poor and the wait times long. Especially with covid.

I prefer listening to audiobooks when I cook, relax in the evenings, exercise, and drive. Sometimes I listen to podcasts, but books cant be replaced. I just listened to a The Screwtape Letters while I was walking my dog and it was excellent.

Not sure how to get away from that. Vitamins is easier. Basic junk I can buy at the supermarket near here, not Walmart. But Audible is owned by Amazon.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Just in case you NEED to buy something on Amazon, you could just use Purse.io:
This website lets you use BTC to place orders on Amazon, fulfilled by other shoppers. I believe you can do it without an Amazon account or KYC, and it even gives you a discount.

There is a thread here on Amazon alternatives: Post on This Forum

I had deleted all my old reviews as well, but thinking now maybe I should go in and add reviews as to alternate sources of said items, especially where to buy things for less money.

Regarding Kindles, if you bought something for them there are straightforward ways to convert them to PDFs (do a web search). I never trusted Kindles or any eReader, as someone else could freely delete or modify anything you thought you owned. I will take paper any day of the week.

Here is a new game to play: Train your Tyrant Think of some persona, someone you are not: a bored housewife dreaming of vacationing in Italy, an oil tycoon who likes fast cars and tacky art, a fill-in-the-blank studies college prof after vegan organic socks, et al. Pretend to be them on Amazon, Google, YouTube, Gmail, etc. See how long it takes them to start shoving the appropriate ads at you. Once the tyrant is trained, delete cookies, change browsers (Brave, Vivaldi, etc.) and try it again under a different persona. Changing browsers can monkey wrench attempts to "fingerprint" you via the browser, screen resolution, etc. Maybe focus searches on woke companies, but never, ever, ever, buy a thing from them.

Turn their precious high-value data on everyone into mashed potatoes. Eventually big tech will be the laughingstock of advertising agencies, and those who were not around for the last dot com crash can see what it was like.

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Does anyone know what specific harm may come from them having credit card numbers?

I use them very little and try to buy stuff on the streets or order elsewhere online where possible.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Does anyone know what specific harm may come from them having credit card numbers?

I use them very little and try to buy stuff on the streets or order elsewhere online where possible.
It's possible they use it to connect your purchases from Amazon to purchases from another store to monitor behavior. I haven't seen this proven but it's not a far stretch if you consider how many "partnerships" exist between retailers. A tool like privacy.com (which lets you create CC aliases) fixes this.