Cleaning Your Amazon Footprint

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Gold Member
@redbeard that is a very interesting site https://privacy.com/ had never heard of that before. Yes, if people would spread their consumption across more suppliers instead of say concentrating on Amazon, and if the laws against monopolies were stronger, we would not have so much of a problem. We must resist the war against cash. In one European country I put coins to get into a public toilet, in another I need to swipe a card. So they probably know who used the toilet at what time. Not that I really care, but they don't need to know.

A while ago I thought my laptop had died and went to try to buy a new one new for cash from a store and not supplying any personal details. Ultimately it was not easy, the stores had mainly display models and you had to give your details to order one, and ordering online, you give all your details. I have ordered PC's online before, so it's not like something I would never do, but why must everything be tracked - can't a person just have some privacy nowadays? Yes, I could have gotten a new PC for cash somewhere but would have been a bit restricted in the model. In the end I managed to fix my old one, had to just disconnect the internal battery for a while then all was okay.

On the topic of Amazon, there is another part of Amazon, 'Amazon Web Services'. Not sure if everyone knows what it is, but I think it evolved because Amazon had created so much infrastructure for themselves in all parts of the world that in the end they realised they could make a business by renting the infrastructure out. I have mainly only used the EC2 instances, where you can rent a PC instance from tiny to gigantic and choose whether you want it in North America, Europe, South America etc. They also have a huge number of other IT services beyond the EC2 instances.

A while ago I found a small hosting company somewhere in Europe and tried to rent a bare metal server. While with AWS you could just fire one up anywhere in the world, a credit card was not enough for that little company, they wanted ID an it didn't feel right at the time so I left it. If I ever have a project running for more than a short while on AWS though, will try again to move it to a local hosting company again just in the interests of not feeding the monster.

Look what happened to Parler! It's upsetting to think about it.. Amazon pulled the plug on them, and I was just thinking of joining.. Amazon is not really our friend, and they probably have a certain amount of snooping built into their infrastructure which some obscure little hosting company or data centre won't.

if people would spread their consumption across more suppliers instead of say concentrating on Amazon, and if the laws against monopolies were stronger, we would not have so much of a problem.
They are quite strong, like our immigration laws and laws against espionage. They are just ignored by a rotten, corrupt overclass.

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.”​

― John Adams

Easy_C

Peacock
some persona, someone you are not: a bored housewife dreaming of vacationing in Italy, an oil tycoon who likes fast cars and tacky art, a fill-in-the-blank studies college prof after vegan organic socks, et al. Pretend to be them on Amazon, Google, YouTube, Gmail, etc. See how long it takes them to start shoving the appropriate ads at you. Once the tyrant is trained, delete cookies, change browsers (Brave, Vivaldi, etc.) and try it again under a different persona. Changing browsers can monkey wrench attempts to "fingerprint" you via the browser, screen resolution, etc. Maybe focus searches on woke companies, but never, ever, ever, buy a thing from them.
For awhile the algorithms were convinced that I was a gay Jewish guy into comic books.

Another way to train your tyrant -- have a Google cookie exchange with someone. And if there are multiple computers in the house, move cookies from one PC to the other.

Or, if you are really bored, play train your tyrant yourself by copying in and out Google cookie files from the cookie folder to and from a folder dedicated to each persona.

The goal is not just to make their data worthless. It is to make it worse than useless. If every targeted ad misses the target, then the ads reach no one who would ever buy. Running non-targeted ads would actually work better.

HKBhusal

Sparrow
As I wrote elsewhere:

I am sure, like all other big tech they are using your data in ways legal and illegal far beyond ToS. You should get off amazon as much as you can - since you can't simply delete an account I suggest:
  • Cancel your prime membership - just do it, you will find a way to get stuff you need.
  • delete the app on all devices, it's probably tracking you more than you think
  • delete all your address, put an old/bad one in.
  • delete credit cards
  • disable browsing history/delete it (yeah they probably track it anyway )
  • put some fake likes for r benign stuff like cooking.
  • delete all your reviews.
  • Break up your purchases - books - alibris - or B&N direct from authors when you can. find suppliers for other things (Ebay or direct - most vendors will ship 'free' these days for bulk orders - but even if they don't I have found that price is often lower than amazon. Amazon is surely big enough now to start the monopoly squeeze. )

any other tips?
** Update you can close your account but I would suggest cleaning it FIRST!
This is just treating the symptoms, not the root cause. The root cause is the centralized banking system that runs the monopolistic/oligopolistic corporations. The aim should be to bleed out the banks.

The real solution is to set up (or collectively work toward to setting up) a counter-economic system:

See Exhibit A:

How to Opt-Out of the Technocratic State, by Derrick Broze

Excerpt:
● Stop carrying cell phones everywhere you go
● Stop using GPS
● Delete social media accounts and apps that track you
● Stop using credit and debit cards
● Cancel your bank account (use a credit union if you need to store your
funds)
● Stop working jobs in the mainstream economy
● Stop paying taxes

Source: https://theconsciousresistance.com/.../How_to_Opt_Out_of_the_Technocratic_State.pdf

andy dufresne

Kingfisher
This is just treating the symptoms, not the root cause. The root cause is the centralized banking system that runs the monopolistic/oligopolistic corporations. The aim should be to bleed out the banks.

The real solution is to set up (or collectively work toward to setting up) a counter-economic system:

See Exhibit A:

Excerpt:
● Stop using GPS
funds)
● Stop paying taxes

Source: https://theconsciousresistance.com/.../How_to_Opt_Out_of_the_Technocratic_State.pdf
Yah....Amazon is just a symptom. Credit cards and easy consumer debt are the real disease.

As long as you buy it online using a CC the overlords will know what you buy. Amazon just makes it easier to aggregate your data.

agree, but it's better if you're still using a credit card, to buy from a local distributor than Amazon. Definitely, pulling the plug on banks would be best, but by the nature of most of us working for a company we are plugged into the system.

If you needed any reason to ditch Amazon you'll find it here:

In addition, I noticed Amazon pilfering from the work and ingenuity of smaller sellers by making or inserting cheap overseas imitations of highly popular goods, undercutting their price point.

“No competitor is too small to draw Amazon’s sights,” the Wall Street Journal noted in December. “It cloned a line of camera tripods that a small outside company sold on Amazon’s site, hurting the vendor’s sales so badly it is now a fraction of its original size, the little firm’s owner said.” An earlier WSJ investigation found Amazon targets popular products and vendors to take over their market share, often with inferior products. I was finding that true all the time.

It's possible they use it to connect your purchases from Amazon to purchases from another store to monitor behavior. I haven't seen this proven but it's not a far stretch if you consider how many "partnerships" exist between retailers. A tool like privacy.com (which lets you create CC aliases) fixes this.

What's the history behind privacy.com? Looks interesting but that list of corporate endorsements made me cringe.

Edit: also we ditched Amazon when 2020 started and will never go back.

I ordered a book from Book Depository and will get it sometime next week. I have also stopped renewing my Prime membership months ago. People that want to criticize Republicans for not liking small businesses better turn their attention to Amazon, which is a small business killing machine.

deleted my amazon account several months ago (20+ yr customer) eBay next up, another 20+ yr customer with them.
What's wrong with ebay? That was my alternative to amazon.

Stealth

Sparrow
Gold Member
I ordered a book from Book Depository and will get it sometime next week. I have also stopped renewing my Prime membership months ago. People that want to criticize Republicans for not liking small businesses better turn their attention to Amazon, which is a small business killing machine.

What's wrong with ebay? That was my alternative to amazon.
FYI, Book Depository is also part of Amazon.

If you needed any reason to ditch Amazon you'll find it here:

In addition, I noticed Amazon pilfering from the work and ingenuity of smaller sellers by making or inserting cheap overseas imitations of highly popular goods, undercutting their price point.

“No competitor is too small to draw Amazon’s sights,” the Wall Street Journal noted in December. “It cloned a line of camera tripods that a small outside company sold on Amazon’s site, hurting the vendor’s sales so badly it is now a fraction of its original size, the little firm’s owner said.” An earlier WSJ investigation found Amazon targets popular products and vendors to take over their market share, often with inferior products. I was finding that true all the time.
I have personal experience with this and can confirm

Oz.

Pelican
I have deleted my account from Amazon as well. It is funny how these big companies really don't care if you leave, you are just another number. When I sent my confirmation to have my account deleted they basically emailed me back saying "cool story, bye."

Elipe

Kingfisher
People that want to criticize Republicans for not liking small businesses better turn their attention to Amazon, which is a small business killing machine.
But that's racist, sexist, homophobic, and anti-semitic of you to presume that people, especially those of a political alignment as to criticize Republicans, should have principles.

See Exhibit A:

Excerpt:
● Stop using GPS
funds)
● Stop paying taxes

I've stopped carrying a mobile as much as possible although still need to if I go out of the county area (self employed and need to be able to reach business contacts). Thinking of investing in a faraday wallet so I can still take the phone to my destination without tracking.

Never use GPS I love maps and have done since childhood nothing beats a good road atlas or os map.

No social media as it consumes time and adds little of value.

Cards is a tough one. Use cash as much as possible. More and more places are restricting it though citing the coof. No credit cards though only spend what I have and if the funds aren't there then I save or let it go. Do not be drawn into temptation!

Bank account is a similar issue to cards in that it is hard to function in the UK without one.

My job isn't in the mainstream.

I can't see a way to avoid taxes and not be detained at the pleasure of her majesty unfortunately.

I have deleted Amazon and removed payment info same goes for Paypal. My Paypal was hacked and used to buy mobile topups so that sealed it!

Last edited: