"Cobra Kai" YouTube Red series

la bodhisattva

Kingfisher
Daniel's wife may be the best portrayal in the series. The marriage, in general, was shown to be very positive. She helped with his business, wasn't a know-it-all bitch, or a super career woman/do it all mom, and didn't talk down to Daniel (something common in nearly all TV shows). You could see a genuinely respectful marriage of complementary partners. Daniel was never an immature buffoon needing his wife to play mother and he wasn't a sex-starved thirsty simp fawning over her every breath.

Add Johnny's complete red-pill life and you have a near perfect series of real life/red pill truths. The passing glimpses of girl karate badassery notwithstanding.

questor70

Ostrich
Canopus said:
So they took a 1980's cult classic that everyone had nearly forgotten about, and not only grew the existing characters in ways that value their original portrayals while moving them to the next legs of their journeys, but also introduced a "next gen" who take cues from the tone and spirit of the films while forming their own distinct identities, so you have a younger cast that's strong enough to carry the franchise forward, but room for the old cast to fulfill their stories and show they've still got it 30 years later.

And yet Disney cannot do this with Star Wars.

Bill & Ted 3 also got green-lit, so there's hope that will be good as well.

Canopus said:
So they took a 1980's cult classic that everyone had nearly forgotten about, and not only grew the existing characters in ways that value their original portrayals while moving them to the next legs of their journeys, but also introduced a "next gen" who take cues from the tone and spirit of the films while forming their own distinct identities, so you have a younger cast that's strong enough to carry the franchise forward, but room for the old cast to fulfill their stories and show they've still got it 30 years later.

And yet Disney cannot do this with Star Wars.

:wtf:

Great show! But it's all about the writing...

Ever since the Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Mad Men, writers have received a new found respect for their work. The actors seem almost secondary. They are basically just conduits for the great scripts and screen writing that's been done over the last almost 20 years.

Formats like Netflix, Amazon and now YouTube Red along with cable have revolutionized how we watch films nowadays.

We are truly living in interesting times as we are witnessing a renaissance in great story telling.....

Mess O.

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I found it to be near-flawless. Chiefly, the manner in which the original material is paid homage to, cleanly interwoven into the new montages. After having followed along with a show like The Walking Dead, where you feel like throwing a bottle through the TV at the end of every other episode, Cobra Kai does its job, bringing you want you want to see.

Cobra

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I should probably watch this. Every time this thread pops up I think someone made a post about me.

budoslavic

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
After several weeks of ignoring "Cobra Kai" ads, my boss at work and several other people were raving how good the show is.

They were right. After watching seven episodes so far, "Cobra Kai" is fantastic and funny to watch.

Johnny Lawrence tells 16 year old Miguel, who doesn't like the smell of the champagne: "Drink it. It will put hair on your balls."

:jordan:

Edit. For those who don't want to pay to watch episodes 3 - 10, you can go to www.rulu.io to watch the free episodes.

Edit II. Use Brave browser to block ads on www.rulu.io.

Dulceácido

Ostrich
Did none of ya'll see it??? The grandmother was the best character!!!

And also, who can see this: Daniel and Johnny form a hybrid dojo--truly balanced, because clearly the both styles are on opposite spectrums of aggression and pacifist, to defeat Kreese...???

We need season 2. Now.

Dulceácido said:
Did none of ya'll see it??? The grandmother was the best character!!!

And also, who can see this: Daniel and Johnny form a hybrid dojo--truly balanced, because clearly the both styles are on opposite spectrums of aggression and pacifist, to defeat Kreese...???

We need season 2. Now.

It will be interesting to see who they bring in to be Kreese's protege, it would be unrealistic to have him be the main physical threat because he's in his 70's.

My guess is he corrupts one of the main characters, probably Miguel, who then has to be brought back to the good side by Johnny and Daniel.

Kid Twist

Hummingbird
Now I'm left wondering if the "Johnny's side of the story" was always the case, or they lifted the youtube guy's hysterical (and I'm convinced real, true) analysis of who the bully, or bad actor, really was.

I'm betting it's the latter, especially since I just looked and saw that youtube video was published in 2015.

:popcorn:

RIslander

Hummingbird
getdownonit said:
Only a few episodes in so far, Danny is a total beta male.

How so? He's rich, has a hot wife who doesn't bust his balls and a daughter who isn't a slut. His son sucks but you can't have it all.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I love how "Sensei" Lawrence is so out of the time. I mean feels impossible for someone to not know about facebook or texting or whatever new age buzzwords that get thrown around "on the spectrum", etc etc. But I find it fun, when he just looks at people when they say stuff like wtf is this. Its funny how we get used to these ideas, so having this guy seemingly frozen in the 80s is awesome.