Collapse in British Nightclubs

The thought of going into a night club now makes me cringe. The lines, the costs, the lack of sleep, the attitudes of the trash around me.

I miss some of my more local bars in SoCal that were lively community places. Music was low or non existent, cheap beers, cozy back patios.

Covid destroyed night life, probably for the better. Zoomers not being able to rage like it's 2015 in a club with little dark is a good thing.
If you repair, the nightlife maximizes the female sexual power (low lighting + high alcohol of men).

Maddox

Sparrow
Teetub, there have been various studies describing that loud music increases anxiety, which causes men to purchase more alcohol.

It was men getting gamed all along and I’m not sad about the decline of the cock fest club.

Anxiety is exactly what I felt when going to those clubs with the music turned up to 11. You could never relax. Maybe that's why I was so bad at pick up...because I couldn't think straight due to the anxiety.

I seriously want to sue every club in my city and put them out of business. Maybe if I buy a noise meter and prove that these places are harming people's hearing, I'll have a case.

DrCotard

Kingfisher
Gold Member
There are a million and one reasons; it's a death by a thousand cuts scenario. I have friends who own nightclub businesses from small clubs to large chains; none are doing very well. I live in a 1,000,000+ city and Friday nights are so quiet it's eerie. 10 years ago I would go out Thursday/Friday/Saturday and the city was jumping each night.

In no significant order:

The smoking ban. It may have happened nearly 10 years ago but the clubs never recovered from this.

The credit crunch. So many people partied the naughties away on borrowed money and house price inflation money. Almost overnight I went from seeing Cristal every evening at my friend's club to not once since. Seriously.

Low wages for young people. This situation seems to be getting worse.

Housing costs for young people. I've heard that many youngsters spend 50% of their wages on rent. Does;t leave much left over for going out.

Weekend millionaire syndrome. It seems to me that your average guy would rather go out once per month and drop a few hundred quid so he can pretend to be a baller and brag on Facebook/Instagram.

The high cost of drugs. Cocaine has tripled in price in the last 10 years.

Competition from supermarkets. Low priced drinks make drinking at home a no brainer for a lot of people.

24 hour opening at multiple venues has saturated the market. The number of slices in the pie is too large and lots of places cannot cope.

Restaurant bars are scooping up lots of the traditional club punters.

Commercial rents are on the up again. Business rates (business tax) are ridiculous for nightclubs. Many local authorities are actively trying to reduce the number of night time venues, so licencing can be expensive and a general pain in the ass.

Taxis have become very pricey also. Public transport at night is either non existent or bloody dangerous.

ID checks. When I was young, getting into clubs and pubs underage was very easy. Nobody cared. We had our own pub in the city centre when I was at school that was 99% our 6th Form (15-18 year olds). That would be impossible now.

This is on top of the reasons others have mentioned in the thread; Tinder etc.
Bringing this thread back.

In my city, before the Covid-19 clubs were closing at a slow pace, and some of them were being transformed to Hand Made beer businesses. Nowadays the Covid-19 has accelerated the trend with former sites that used to be clubs, being demolished and converted into apartment buildings.

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
Bringing this thread back.

In my city, before the Covid-19 clubs were closing at a slow pace, and some of them were being transformed to Hand Made beer businesses. Nowadays the Covid-19 has accelerated the trend with former sites that used to be clubs, being demolished and converted into apartment buildings.
Where I live I see the same thing, but not just nightclubs, just general nightlife casual bar area where lots of people would just go and hang out. Of course COVID paused that anyway, but even before hand you saw lots of fun, casual cheap bars slowly start to fade away in favor of high end stores and shopping plazas, or lame ass "lounges" that super douches sit at. Very sad. Big business was slowly killing these places long before COVID and now it's just a big consumerist dystopia.