Complaints of Donald Trump thread

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
An "idea" for a business is a complex issue that cant be resolved in a simple post. But the first step is knowing that it can be done even if you dont know what it is yet. Mindset is key. Having faith in yourself

I will say this. Doing what you know is a start. Its not always possible but it often is.

Example: Lets say youre a ditch digger working by the hour making $15. That will never make you wealthy no matter how good a ditch digger you are. But the value of digging ditches is greater than that of the rate of the ditch digger. It has to be else someone is losing money.

If you have a business that employs 10 ditch diggers and charges the client by cubic feet of dirt dug, and that rate translates into $30 an hour?

Its a crude example but do the math

20 ditch diggers? 50?

Scalability = equity

Dont trade time for money. Youre only getting dirty for someone else

kel

Pelican
I'm interested in how I could set something up that, once put together, gives me a little bit of mostly passive income. Say, $1000/mo and it requires (after initial investment) about an hour per month of "work".

I'm interested in how I could set something up that, once put together, gives me a little bit of mostly passive income. Say, $1000/mo and it requires (after initial investment) about an hour per month of "work".
The most truly "passive" income you'll get is either royalties on products someone else is selling or dividends from certain investments, but the latter requires a lot of upfront money to reach the 1k/month level. Otherwise you'll have to do at least some work, but owning real estate and hiring a property manager is what Graham Stephan does and it seems like he has nothing but free time.

I remember reading a thread on here, about how to make money with programming/CS skills while working alone and from home. The OP was explaining his strategy, which was basically to build a framework that uses content from other people to generate added value for the users. For example a platform which compares the price of stamps form different sites.

He also gave the tip that governments (at least in the UK) provide databases with information about landmarks and that you could press this info into your own site. People on search engines may click on the your link while researching their destination and you can generate some income with ad revenue. Sadly I can not find the thread anymore. Maybe someone still remembers it.

I found a market gap for German speaking web for the first idea, which I maybe will built on the side. Mainly for programming fun and trying out new technologies, but maybe something comes from it.

gework

Ostrich
Gold Member
I remember reading a thread on here, about how to make money with programming/CS skills while working alone and from home. The OP was explaining his strategy, which was basically to build a framework that uses content from other people to generate added value for the users. For example a platform which compares the price of stamps form different sites.

He also gave the tip that governments (at least in the UK) provide databases with information about landmarks and that you could press this info into your own site. People on search engines may click on the your link while researching their destination and you can generate some income with ad revenue. Sadly I can not find the thread anymore. Maybe someone still remembers it.

I found a market gap for German speaking web for the first idea, which I maybe will built on the side. Mainly for programming fun and trying out new technologies, but maybe something comes from it.
https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/web-content-curation-datasheet.35928/

Virtually any government produces data from the center for national statistics and other arms. Trading Economics takes a lot of such data. I have it in the back of my mind to give them a ride for their MBAs one day :sneaky:

German language could be a good lower competition area. There are some German affiliate programs and good AdSense CPC. I did hear of a guy who was making money from Swedish language content. Programming related should be fairly good for CPC.

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
This thread has taken an interesting shift.

While talks of entrepreneurship are great, I think it misses the point of the current state of society. Of course, one can succeed and become rich, and perhaps in ways that are easier than ever. However, that is irrelevant to the overall society and it's well being. In fact it's another example of the winner take all reality of the economy, which is very 3rd world in nature.

Yes, you can get rich being an entrepreneur. So what? Is everybody in society supposed to be an entreprenuer? What are the macro trends showing in terms of full time employment with benefits across society? Median inflation adjusted wage? Health care costs? Suicide rates? Homelessness?

If the answer to that is "don't complain because it's really easy to get rich," then I think we are missing the point. Cool, I'm "rich" too and I don't work a lot. I also think the country as a whole is heading for a bad place, and I'm not sure that the entire society each buying real estate and and word pressing is the solution to "make America great again". In fact it was this real estate industry (artificially inflated prices and rents) and service/gig economy (vs manufacturing economy) is what has more or less crushed the average American worker.

Lots of American's are just not entrepreneurially inclined. Even if everyone was so, that would not help America. Go to some places Africa and you will see EVERYONE hustling and selling shit,

Please, please do not take this wrong way. I'm very, very happy for all of your successes and wish them to continue. Heck, honestly I'm very interested in all of your stories. I also agree that it's possible to get ahead in America, and in this sense it's still a great country.

But our personal success and survivor bias is irrelevant to the underlying conditions for the vast swaths of people, who are struggling like never before, with no help in sight. And none of the personal anecdotes I have heard (again very nice to hear) can be scaled across society in any meaningful way. Of course that may not have been what you are suggesting, but I just wanted to quickly get us a bit back on topic here.

It_is_my_time

Hummingbird

While talks of entrepreneurship are great, I think it misses the point of the current state of society. Of course, one can succeed and become rich, and perhaps in ways that are easier than ever. However, that is irrelevant to the overall society and it's well being. In fact it's another example of the winner take all reality of the economy, which is very 3rd world in nature.

Yes, you can get rich being an entrepreneur. So what? Is everybody in society supposed to be an entreprenuer? What are the macro trends showing in terms of full time employment with benefits across society? Median inflation adjusted wage? Health care costs? Suicide rates? Homelessness?

If the answer to that is "don't complain because it's really easy to get rich," then I think we are missing the point. Cool, I'm "rich" too and I don't work a lot. I also think the country as a whole is heading for a bad place, and I'm not sure that the entire society each buying real estate and and word pressing is the solution to "make America great again". In fact it was this real estate industry (artificially inflated prices and rents) and service/gig economy (vs manufacturing economy) is what has more or less crushed the average American worker.

Lots of American's are just not entrepreneurially inclined. Even if everyone was so, that would not help America. Go to some places Africa and you will see EVERYONE hustling and selling shit,

Please, please do not take this wrong way. I'm very, very happy for all of your successes and wish them to continue. Heck, honestly I'm very interested in all of your stories. I also agree that it's possible to get ahead in America, and in this sense it's still a great country.

But our personal success and survivor bias is irrelevant to the underlying conditions for the vast swaths of people, who are struggling like never before, with no help in sight. And none of the personal anecdotes I have heard (again very nice to hear) can be scaled across society in any meaningful way. Of course that may not have been what you are suggesting, but I just wanted to quickly get us a bit back on topic here.
GREAT POST!

Probably my biggest complaint of the boomers, other than them being nearly 70 and still knowing almost nothing about history, is their fascination with "working hard". They think "hard work" is the end all, some great thing to strive for and to be proud of. And that mindset sadly does trickle down from the boomers, though it isn't as prevalent with younger generations.

Being willing to work, and go above and beyond is a great personality trait. Thinking you have to do this week after week, year after year, to "get ahead" is flat out evil. Thinking that you should have to do all this just to put a roof over your head and food on the table is beyond evil. The frustration shouldn't be with a 16 year old that doesn't want to have to go to school all day, and spend their free time doing home work and working a job. The frustration should be with a system that demands that due to our resources all floating to the top instead of on to the next generation.

If a typical boomer found out that for the last 20 years I had put my life on hold, worked 7 days a week, avoided all the fun in my life, missed time with my family, but due to the sacrifice built up a nice nest egg, they would probably hold me up as some great role model. Tell their grandkids to be like me.

My response would be "I regret it all. I hate that I wasted my life. I have great regrets about it. But all in all, I don't feel I had another choice with how my brain is wired and I am FURIOUS that your generation didn't pass on as good of a country as you had. As for your grandkids, if they end up like me they will feel the same and will curse you as long as they live and that will be your legacy. Don't stick them with this hell."

A society must be about more than work. 30 hours a week should be enough. If someone is pushing for more out of their working class then they must be inspected because it appears they have alternate motives. If society cannot afford this, then there is too much wealth stuck at the top and it must be shared or you end up in the capitalist hellhole that is our hellscape USA.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
Yes, you can get rich being an entrepreneur. So what?
I'll chime in since I have experience here. On average, business owners pay themselves very little annually. We're talking around $20k to $40k. It often requires long hours, lots of investment, stress, etc. Most small businesses have very little savings to keep them afloat during rough times.

Owning a business is a very rewarding if frustrating experience. You can make money but there are many, many variables involved. My personal opinion is it's no longer worth doing for 99% of people.

Freelance if you want, sure. However, that's not exactly the same thing.

Uprising

Woodpecker
Honestly, I wouldn't know if there's "violations" as I'm unfamiliar with the rules but people like it is my time and zenta(lately perro too?) have been concern trolling out of the ass a ridiculous amount.

In particular, it is my time is why I stopped visiting the complaints of donald trump thread.
And I love complaining!
Amen.

People in this thread only started talking about entrepreneurship because the Complaints of Donald Trump Thread has turned into the Complaints of It Is My Time Thread. All he does is whine and cry day in and day out about his failures in his personal life and how it's all Trump's fault. People get tired of reading his sob story all the time - Working 70 hour work weeks for two decades straight, living with a roommate, single with no girlfriend, wife or kids, yet somehow can't get ahead in life and thinks $1 million dollars isn't enough to start a family. All while living in the biggest economy in the world with one of the biggest landmasses in the world and with a passport that is for all intents and purposes as good as gold.

His posts are completely out of touch with reality. It's pathetic and quite frankly a disgrace to this forum. So when you see people offering entrepreneurship advice, it's to shut It Is My Time the hell up so that he will stop with the Dear Diary posts and the Complaints of It Is My Time Thread will revert back into the Complaints of Donald Trump Thread.

I don't want to come off as mean but dude brings it on himself with his constant Woe Is Me shtick on here. It's gotten ridiculous and has now started to spill out into other threads on the forum.

It_is_my_time

Hummingbird
Amen.

People in this thread only started talking about entrepreneurship because the Complaints of Donald Trump Thread has turned into the Complaints of It Is My Time Thread. All he does is whine and cry day in and day out about his failures in his personal life and how it's all Trump's fault. People get tired of reading his sob story all the time - Working 70 hour work weeks for two decades straight, living with a roommate, single with no girlfriend, wife or kids, yet somehow can't get ahead in life and thinks $1 million dollars isn't enough to start a family. All while living in the biggest economy in the world with one of the biggest landmasses in the world and with a passport that is for all intents and purposes as good as gold.

His posts are completely out of touch with reality. It's pathetic and quite frankly a disgrace to this forum. So when you see people offering entrepreneurship advice, it's to shut It Is My Time the hell up so that he will stop with the Dear Diary posts and the Complaints of It Is My Time Thread will revert back into the Complaints of Donald Trump Thread.

I don't want to come off as mean but dude brings it on himself with his constant Woe Is Me shtick on here. It's gotten ridiculous and has now started to spill out into other threads on the forum.
Unlike in the Donald Trump thread, I will not tell you to leave. $1,000,000 isn't enough for a family, so if you have $1,000,000, you will have to slave away. The "biggest economy" belongs to the very few on the top, and no one here can deny that.

I guess we can talk about how Trump is likely letting rioters run wild and probably cheering it on because it gives his buddy Bezos more money with the destruction of small business and also because he thinks it will help him win reelection. That is a good complaint to start with.

fokm

Robin
Gold Member
Overall, I think @It_is_my_time has brought up some items worth discussing, and this entrepreneur turn is interesting in this thread.

It started because he revealed that he essentially works non-stop for other people. When people gave him the advice about setting goals higher, he listened but I think ultimately comes to, as two posts above shows, that he regrets giving up living in the past to focus on a meager existence in the future.

This fatalism is dangerous.

We are each in control of how happy we are. And while our society isn't perfect by any stretch, the fact is that you can still die with a better hand than you were born with in the US. Throughout human history, that's a rarity.

For all the negative energy he's spent on this thread, he could have learned a lot of skills. Ultimately he's unhappy, and he may think rightfully so, but if he's unhappy now he'll likely be unhappy with his nest egg in retirement (alone?)

Money is also a magnifier. If @It_is_my_time was to win the lottery tomorrow, he'd ultimately be 100x more unhappy.

And the thing is, these discussions about what society we want to live in and not everyone should have to be an entrepreneur are valuable. For this thread, though, I think it misses the point. We can choose to be fatalistic, or we can choose to adapt. And overall it seems to me that @It_is_my_time is more upset about the particular adaptations he chose to make.

He's a smart guy and I hope he realizes how much a perspective change really does matter in the end. And I say this as someone who used to be a very smart, but ultimately very negative person myself.

It_is_my_time

Hummingbird
Overall, I think @It_is_my_time has brought up some items worth discussing, and this entrepreneur turn is interesting in this thread.

It started because he revealed that he essentially works non-stop for other people. When people gave him the advice about setting goals higher, he listened but I think ultimately comes to, as two posts above shows, that he regrets giving up living in the past to focus on a meager existence in the future.

This fatalism is dangerous.

We are each in control of how happy we are. And while our society isn't perfect by any stretch, the fact is that you can still die with a better hand than you were born with in the US. Throughout human history, that's a rarity.

For all the negative energy he's spent on this thread, he could have learned a lot of skills. Ultimately he's unhappy, and he may think rightfully so, but if he's unhappy now he'll likely be unhappy with his nest egg in retirement (alone?)

Money is also a magnifier. If @It_is_my_time was to win the lottery tomorrow, he'd ultimately be 100x more unhappy.

And the thing is, these discussions about what society we want to live in and not everyone should have to be an entrepreneur are valuable. For this thread, though, I think it misses the point. We can choose to be fatalistic, or we can choose to adapt. And overall it seems to me that @It_is_my_time is more upset about the particular adaptations he chose to make.

He's a smart guy and I hope he realizes how much a perspective change really does matter in the end. And I say this as someone who used to be a very smart, but ultimately very negative person myself.
You shouldn't guess what other people think or don't think. If I had about 50% more than I have now I would be set and happy as can be. But that is a long ways away and a lot of work, but most importantly this country is crashing so fast even I am surprised by it and I realize I may never get there due to cowardly men in leadership positions everywhere in this society.

If you are under 35 then your thinking is way off. You will find out as you get older what I mean when I say that. Only time will give you experience and only experience can understand my points in this thread.

It_is_my_time

Hummingbird
This is very true.

You keep doing your thing there its-my_time. The world is a crazy place right now and nobody could have prepared for it.

Aloha!
I appreciate it Kona. I am just trying to help the younger men here fully realize what lays before them. I think a few of them think they have landed a good career job and they have it made in life. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do see this kind of attitude from men aged about 23 to 30, who are single, make a high income, are educated, etc.

Then life punches you in the gut. Life punches everyone in the gut. And you find out your great job is either not so great any longer, due to a new boss, new regulations, new policy, or even worse you lose your job because of the bad economy and the out of control immigration from Trump. Or you have a health scare and realize your insurance isn't so great, and if you miss too much work you might lose your job, thus lose your health insurance, thus lose everything you have built in one day.

I just want young men to realize how tough things really are out there and how little, actually, how absolutely nothing, Trump has done to remedy these situations they face and don't realize it yet.

FactusIRX

Robin
I appreciate it Kona. I am just trying to help the younger men here fully realize what lays before them. I think a few of them think they have landed a good career job and they have it made in life. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do see this kind of attitude from men aged about 23 to 30, who are single, make a high income, are educated, etc.

Then life punches you in the gut. Life punches everyone in the gut. And you find out your great job is either not so great any longer, due to a new boss, new regulations, new policy, or even worse you lose your job because of the bad economy and the out of control immigration from Trump. Or you have a health scare and realize your insurance isn't so great, and if you miss too much work you might lose your job, thus lose your health insurance, thus lose everything you have built in one day.

I just want young men to realize how tough things really are out there and how little, actually, how absolutely nothing, Trump has done to remedy these situations they face and don't realize it yet.
It's a difficult thing to understand for some people. It reminds me of Raymond Carver's story A Small Good Thing. In particular, this passage:

Until now, his life had gone smoothly and to his satisfaction--college, marriage, another year of college for the advanced degree in business, a junior partnership in an investment firm. Fatherhood. He was happy, and so far, lucky--he knew that. His parents were still living, his brothers and sister were established, his friends from college had gone out to take their places in the world. So far, he had kept away from any real harm, from those forces he knew existed and that could cripple or bring down a man if the luck went bad, if things suddenly turned. He pulled into the driveway and parked. His left leg began to tremble.

Amwolf

Pigeon
GREAT POST!

Probably my biggest complaint of the boomers, other than them being nearly 70 and still knowing almost nothing about history, is their fascination with "working hard". They think "hard work" is the end all, some great thing to strive for and to be proud of.
Interesting that you've mentioned this as I've recently called out a Boomer on the same failed ideology. I respect those who work smart, not hard. There's a significant difference between the two just as there is between a dreamer and doer. Many of Boomers identify as being dreamers, and it's usually the same ones who are well into their 70's still working hard.