Considering getting dentures (full set)

I'm in my mid 30s, and do my best to take care of my teeth, but due to over crowding and general discomfort over the years with destroying floss with how tight my teeth are crowded, I still get cavities in hard to reach places. Even some of my molars are crowded.

I'm at a point where I'm considering knocking them out completely and getting myself a whole set of artificial pearly whites

Cavities arean issue that happens every couple of years where one shows up in the crowded parts.

What kinds of pros / cons are there to dentures if any of you have experienced having dentures or knowledge of people with them ?

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I'd fight to keep your original teeth until it's impossible to go on. Your post sounds like you just have frequent cavities. Maybe I'm understanding estimating the difficulties you're already dealing with. If you can, I'd say to put it off.

Source: I still have my teeth, but dad and sister have dentures. Both have lots of problems, and lots of food they can never eat.

prendergast

Sparrow
It really depends on how much you pay to get your cavities filled/removed. Do you have dental insurance? A full set of dentures costs approximately $2000 (with the impression) depending on who you buy from. If you are paying hundreds of dollars to get cavities removed every few years dentures may pay off in the end. But as Thomas said, you should try to stick with your real teeth. Is your bad dental hygiene just a result of bad genes (overcrowding like you said) or could there be other factors too? What is your diet like? Is it heavy in carbs? I am still pretty young so my teeth are still in excellent condition because I try to avoid carbs and sugar though I do have calculus build-up that I have to get scraped off every once in a while.

My mom had her top set of teeth removed last year and her dentures aren't really that noticeable. She can eat whatever she wants because she still has her bottoms but she has to take her top dentures out in order to eat bread and things like that because it just sticks otherwise.

Also, some denture adhesives such as Poligrip feel very unpleasant in your mouth so you might have to do some looking around to find a brand that works for you.

You want to remove your entire upper and lower teeth and replace with dentures?

Are your teeth physically ugly currently, just crowded? If you have no particularly shocking issues with gum disease, and have healthy jaw bone do consider orthodontic treatment for alignment.

If you remove your teeth and replace with dentures, the jaw bone would waste away over time leading to facial changes, as well as inability to eat certain foods properly.

A good orthodontist would whip you up in under an year, however, 90% of them are greedy so pick carefully.

You want to remove your entire upper and lower teeth and replace with dentures?

Are your teeth physically ugly currently, just crowded? If you have no particularly shocking issues with gum disease, and have healthy jaw bone do consider orthodontic treatment for alignment.

If you remove your teeth and replace with dentures, the jaw bone would waste away over time leading to facial changes, as well as inability to eat certain foods properly.

A good orthodontist would whip you up in under an year, however, 90% of them are greedy so pick carefully.

Yeah that's the tough part. I'm going to pay more over the years in cavities than in dentures.

Orthodontist work is so iffy.

And implants are obscene.

Dentures seems like the best option.

My diet is mostly rice and chicken based with multivitamins . I brush regularly, use natural ingredients like coconut oil and olive,Rosemary oil to pull. Flossing is the last thing I struggle with cuz of terrible crowding. (Welsh family history genetics) So yeah my smile is jacked up.
Plus I got quotes for braces and invisalign, invisalign won't touch me. Braces would take 1.5 years at the quickest and they'd have to break my jaw. $12k later and it's not guaranteed.

Stirfry

Woodpecker
Dentist here. This is a complicated issue and I can’t cover everything here, particularly as it relates to your finances, but you should try to keep as many of your original teeth as possible, even if it means fillings, crowns and root canals.

Dentures are uncomfortable, they come loose (especially lower complete dentures), interfere with enjoyment of food, and will give you an “aged” sunken-face appearance as the alveolar bone of your jaw (where the teeth used to be) resorbs away.

I'm in my mid 30s, and do my best to take care of my teeth, but due to over crowding and general discomfort over the years with destroying floss with how tight my teeth are crowded, I still get cavities in hard to reach places. Even some of my molars are crowded.
-look into expanding your mouth - it can be done -
This book is about breathwork https://www.mrjamesnestor.com/breath
but it goes into mouth size - - our mouths are too small because we eat processed foods -there are procedures to fix it;

The Dentist who first advocated this lost his license and was banned by the British dentists asso. in the 1960s but he has since been proven right..

Also look into natural prevention - baking soda, probiotics, diet (high in vitamin d, ) all these things promote healthy teeth. Healthy teeth is not just about fluoride and dentists.

Dentures are uncomfortable, they come loose (especially lower complete dentures), interfere with enjoyment of food, and will give you an “aged” sunken-face appearance as the alveolar bone of your jaw (where the teeth used to be) resorbs awa
yes!, removing healthy or even unhealthy teeth and replacing them with dentures makes about as much sense as cutting off your arm and replacing it with an artificial limb - dentures should be a LAST resort.

Last edited:

antman333

Sparrow
How bad can they actually be that you'd really wanna knock them out?

100 times keep your natural teeth. Unless it's worse than your saying. Dentures aren't a good solution.

You'll only have like 25% of your current biting power, and if they cover the roof of your mouth you lose a lot of your ability to taste food.

The taste of denture glue all day, having to worry about them falling out when you talk to people.

Soaking your teeth every night...

Fuck that

I've helped a buddy with his implant marketing agency. He co-owned a practice for several years. Implants are the real deal AND only good solution, but only for people who need it.

Dentures don't keep your jawbone stimulated. They lead to bone loss on the top AND bottom. And the longer you wait to get implants, the more pricy + invasive the surgery becomes (bone grafting, sinus lift, etc.)

Do some research. Lurk reddit and see what people with dentures complain about.

Last edited:
I've decided to go against it... But go the filling route. I'm also chewing old fashioned Bazooka Gum in bulk now (to increase jaw strength) .

Since my diet is a lot of soft foods, looks like this is the next best thing for me since old fashioned jerky is outta the question now (can't eat beef with no stomach anymore for the meantime, may never again be able to :sad:)

I'm kinda stuck on white meats. Chicken, fish and seafoods for the indefinite future.

Also developed a gluten sensitivity as well since I don't have a stomach anymore , so I'm looking into gluten alternative hard tack breads.

Sadly the only place I can find to buy bazooka is from Walmart for the quantity I want to last me while I'm on the road as a trucker.

Last edited:

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Oh man, Bazooka Gum with the dorky comics is a name I haven't heard in decades. Takes me back to elementary school days & taking a toonie (Canadian $2 doubloons) to buy 5c candy at the corner store.

Anyway, if you're worried about cavities, you actually DON'T want to chew Bazooka Gum, or any gum with sugar. At least not regularly.

Also, if you're serious about jaw strength, I strongly recommend Mastic Gum (https://www.amazon.ca/Chios-Mastiha-Natural-Mastic-Growers/dp/B00YSO7KRA).

It tastes kind of like mild pine needles, but it's not a very strong taste. It also has a bunch of weird 'medicinal' properties like helping stomach discomfort. Each pack lasts a long time as you can 'reuse' the gum for several sessions & then swallow it or toss it when it starts to get crumbly (I store it on a piece of cereal between chews).

It's a tough, but satisfying chew. Completely unlike squishy commercial gums. Just don't overdo it if you go this route. Cheers.

Oh man, Bazooka Gum with the dorky comics is a name I haven't heard in decades. Takes me back to elementary school days & taking a toonie (Canadian $2 doubloons) to buy 5c candy at the corner store.

Anyway, if you're worried about cavities, you actually DON'T want to chew Bazooka Gum, or any gum with sugar. At least not regularly.

Also, if you're serious about jaw strength, I strongly recommend Mastic Gum (https://www.amazon.ca/Chios-Mastiha-Natural-Mastic-Growers/dp/B00YSO7KRA).

It tastes kind of like mild pine needles, but it's not a very strong taste. It also has a bunch of weird 'medicinal' properties like helping stomach discomfort. Each pack lasts a long time as you can 'reuse' the gum for several sessions & then swallow it or toss it when it starts to get crumbly (I store it on a piece of cereal between chews).

It's a tough, but satisfying chew. Completely unlike squishy commercial gums. Just don't overdo it if you go this route. Cheers.
Just threw that on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: probably going to chew this every couple days alternating between that and bazooka joe

NoFunInAus

Kingfisher
Try to keep your God - given teeth as long as you can! I know people who removed all their teeth for dentures or implants and they never "felt" the same again (our teeth are a major part of our overall health). If the pain becomes unbearable, then I'd consider but that does not seem to be the case with you.

Well I decided against it and I'm going to try to do that mastica gum route to keep my jaw strength up and not get all those heavy doses of sugar that commercial gum has that I like..

The mastica gum is pretty tasteless I'll have to admit

kel

Ostrich
The choices with Chios/Falim gum is tasteless or bad taste, unfortunately.

I sympathize with teeth issues, I've had a lot of work done, I think it was because my diet used to lack vitamin K2 and had lots of plaque-feeding carbs when I was vegan. I'm looking to get my various crowns or whatever redone (right) as soon as I can travel freely again (if ever). Need to find a trustworthy dentist who I can say "alright, give me the works, let's come up with a plan for this".

I don't believe I'm getting any new cavities, though, which is an n=1 hand wavvy indication that a higher meat diet might help. No red meat for you, I guess, but still, see if you can eat more chicken, fish, and eggs and less rice maybe. Try bone broth - make it yourself - as something that fills you up but is low calorie and low carb.

Try bone broth - make it yourself - as something that fills you up but is low calorie and low carb.

Now that I've got my pressure cooker on my truck and a nice inverter that can handle the load I'll be doing that. Chicken bone broth is EXTREMELY HEALTHY. I can save so much money making my own food that way. I've been eating mostly rice, rice products, chicken and a lot of seafood lately and I've been saving a ton as is. Just been knocking out a lot of my debts living minimalistic and very well within my means.

Although I'm not worried about calories, I'm needing healthy high dense calories with my food being I don't have a stomach anymore cuz of cancer last year.

Stirfry

Woodpecker
I've decided to go against it... But go the filling route. I'm also chewing old fashioned Bazooka Gum in bulk now (to increase jaw strength) .

Since my diet is a lot of soft foods, looks like this is the next best thing for me since old fashioned jerky is outta the question now (can't eat beef with no stomach anymore for the meantime, may never again be able to :sad:)

I'm kinda stuck on white meats. Chicken, fish and seafoods for the indefinite future.

Also developed a gluten sensitivity as well since I don't have a stomach anymore , so I'm looking into gluten alternative hard tack breads.

Sadly the only place I can find to buy bazooka is from Walmart for the quantity I want to last me while I'm on the road as a trucker.
Sorry I just saw this- don’t chew bazooka gum! I loved it as a kid as much as anyone (even though the flavor lasted maybe 6 chews) but it has sugar. Sugary gum (and candy and other sweet sticky stuff that clings to teeth) is awful for your teeth. Paradoxically, the increase in saliva flow is protective, so what you should do is chew something sugar free.

SeekingTruth

Sparrow
If you’re worried about crowding, then why not try to get braces or something first? Probably around the same cost and you keep your teeth. Dentures is so aggressive I can’t help to think this is a joke.

If you’re worried about crowding, then why not try to get braces or something first? Probably around the same cost and you keep your teeth. Dentures is so aggressive I can’t help to think this is a joke.

I have, it's ~ 20k USD on the low end. Breaking my jaw and upper pallet, being out of work for 2-3, weeks, orthodontic surgery, braces, adjusting them every 2 weeks. (can't do that in my profession)
It's gotta be a joke that you've not read the context clues I've provided.