Conspiracy theorists--what made you start believing?

MtnMan

Woodpecker
I was lying in bed around 2007-2008, switched on local cable access (back when I had TV) and saw the second half of one of the very early 9/11 documentaries. (I think it was Loose Change). Not that the doc was all that good, but it was a literal light switch for me. The entire story about 9/11 became obvious as a gigantic lie. The media manipulation, government cover-ups etc involved in that event really opened my eyes to the potential deception.

In the years after that I have been watching deception after deception unfold in real time.

I am proud to say I have opened the eyes of a few people along the way who were brave enough to listen and learn and investigate for themselves. Most proud of my wife, who has taken the ball and run with it. It is very helpful raising my 1 year old daughter with a partner who is aware of the massive deceptions all around.

Peacock
Gold Member
Almost every single drug craze in America since the CIA's inception has their fingerprints all over it.
This goes back to the opium trade, which has gone on for over two centuries, starting with the China opium traffic in the 1800s, with people like the Sassoons pushed opium in conquered coastal China where nearly half of young men became addicted.

Three centuries later, we're in Afghanistan where 95% of the global opium crop is grown...

loremipsum

Kingfisher
Learning many politicians and scientists although claim to be atheistic take part in occult rituals and believe hardcore occultism.

Also their hatred for Christianity. Yet they wet themselves over biblical demons instead of demons from any other religion.

DeWoken

Sparrow
You know how people kind of flippantly say "Oh my god this movie/song/whatever totally changed my life!"

In my case, it was 100% true.

When I was in 7th grade, our English teacher told us we could choose any book we wanted to do an extensive book report project on. I had already read Animal Farm and really liked it, so I decided to tackle Orwell's magnum opus, 1984.

Now admittedly, that's a bit of a high level book for a 7th grader, but I was a good reader. I was pretty young and naive about the sex stuff, and good portion of the book deals with how sex is liberation and stifling that is just another form of control, (not unlike George Lucas's THX-1138.)

But it was the other stuff that absolutely blew my 7th grade mind out of the back of my skull. My eyes were wide open to the reality of the world, and there was no going back. The constant, never ending shifting of the narrative by the media and the government, and the blatant sheep-like acceptance of the people to their outright lies, was something I'd never dreamed of. This was also around the time of the first Gulf War, so suddenly I became a skeptic over night.

All I knew was, there was some sinister force out there...."them".....we all have different names for them, but we all share a vague understanding of who they are and what they stand for. And they're REAL. And they control.....EVERYTHING. Everything. We're just ants to them. We're less than ants. We're nothing. Everything we've ever been told or sold or convinced of is a LIE.

From that day forward, a little piece of my innocence died, and my naivety as well. By far it's the most important book I've ever read, and yes, "It changed my life."

I have never trusted the media or the government or Hollywood since then. I'm a skeptic on just about everything I see. It's nice to finally see people brave enough to go out there and take unaltered, un-doctored videos of all the bullshit that's going on now to try to get the truth out there. They're braver than me. Because 1984 also taught me another very important thing: you mess with them...you try to make the world a better place...you present any kind of threat to them....you end up with about three bullets in the back of your head, no questions asked. So I just keep my head down and keep out of it.

I don't believe all the conspiracy theories. Some I think are just wishful thinking. Some have what I believe is sufficient evidence to dispute. But I still question EVERYTHING. I read them all, though. I keep up on everything. I wish more people had inquisitive minds.

But I will never, ever trust the mainstream media or the government or politicians or the academics. All of them, every last one, are pawns. Pawns to their masters..."them."

I'll leave it with what I think is a brilliant little quote that I first heard as a sample on a TOOL song, by Dr. Timothy Leary.

Think for yourself
Question authority

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening
Terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in
This ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the
Religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by
Giving us order, rules, regulations; informing, forming in our minds their
View of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and
Learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness
Chaotic, confused, vulnerability, to inform yourself

Think for yourself
Question authority
I wish I had read 1984 in JHS instead of in SHS. Many good books I wish I had discovered them younger.

For me, growing up in a Liberal family there were conspiracies of a different flavor. But things opened up in the mid-00s with YouTube, Alex Jones and the 9-11 Truthers. It became obvious that the media mostly leaned to the Left, even if they did veer into shady territory. The financial crisis of 08 was a big deal as well.

I was a helpless normie until around 2008 after all of the big banks merged and then were declared too big too fail.

Down the rabbit hole I went. Now 12 years later my world has collapsed and I believe my whole life, since JFK, was a constant propagandist's lie.

It feels good to be free, but sometimes the fear is overwhelming. I can see the need for spirituality since what"s going on is to big to be solved by a man like me.

It feels good to be free, but sometimes the fear is overwhelming. I can see the need for spirituality since what"s going on is to big to be solved by a man like me.
I'm also a member of the Vigilant Citizen forums (under the same name, but a dumber avatar). I noticed that almost nobody there is a materialist-atheist; they are all Christians, Muslims or New Age.

If I were a strictly materialist-atheist, there would be no recourse to knowing what's really going on in the world--and my powerlessness to stop it--other than to commit suicide or turn to one of the other "deaths of despair" (alcohol poisoning or OD). It wouldn't surprise me if this was what was driving the alcohol-related fatalities in the Soviet Union (combined with unresolved traumas from WW2).

However, knowing that the problem is spiritual rather than physical-material is only the first step to real liberation. Most of the conspiracy community are New Agers or have allowed mysticism to creep into their own religious practice. This can be seen in a great deal of the QAnon discourse, and David Icke is an out-and-out gnostic. (Even Alex Jones, who presents as a Christian, has crypto-New Age beliefs: here is a video where he admits that he comes from a Freemason/Rosicrucian lineage (begins at the relevant timestamp)). These beliefs are not harmless because they contradict the truth of Scripture and the Gospel, and practicing things that they advocate (yoga, meditation, casting visions, etc.) puts you at risk of demonic oppression.

Ironside

Robin
Probably realizing how many lies and false narratives have been pushed about WW2, and then extrapolating that to realize how much easier it would be to do when there wasn't internet, and even easier when there wasn't phone communication, and then even easier when there wasn't a printing press, and even easier than that when most people couldn't even read.
I mean, there's a huge amount of people walking around that feverently believe that the Aztec empire of millions of people that is said used to carve out people's hearts was conquered by 50 Spanish dudes with muskets.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
This goes back to the opium trade, which has gone on for over two centuries, starting with the China opium traffic in the 1800s, with people like the Sassoons pushed opium in conquered coastal China where nearly half of young men became addicted.

Three centuries later, we're in Afghanistan where 95% of the global opium crop is grown...
Yeah, always remember, government could take a lot of actions if it was really worried about harmful effects of drugs, cigarettes, etc... This is a government who deems it too dangerous to have a swimming pool that is not enclosed by a fence, in case some child or crazy person walks into it and doesn't know how to not DROWN IN WATER.

They don't allow you to to have a pool of water that is not enclosed by a protective fence.

Just let that sink in. If they were really concerned about drugs which kill tens of thousands every year, they would go after that problem with all the zeal of the pool enforcement division, and then some.

Election 2016. Studied media, money printing, and foreign policy.

In some ways life is easier before waking up.
It's the blue vs red pill situation in the matrix. Would you rather know the truth, even if it wasn't pretty?

etwsake

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Would you rather know the truth, even if it wasn't pretty?

Always. Every time. I been seeking the truth to the reasons why we're here and who we are since I was a child.

But even I have to admit how pants-shittingly scary it would be if the truth turned out Earth is just a livestock farm, seeded millennia ago, and when we're good and fat and ready to eat, it's time for the harvest. I guess my last thoughts before I'm digested by some 40 billion year old space creatre will be "well hey, at least now I know the truth!"

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've always been incredibly cynical. I wouldn't say I'm a full blown conspiracy theorist, but I tend to assume that things are not as they appear on paper.
A number of things pushed me in that direction:
Same here.

When I was around 13 or 14 (back in the 80's), myself and a few other neighborhood kids were heading to the corner store. On the way we spotted a news crew for the local affiliate, standing next to the train tracks around where a kid from another neighborhood had died just a few days before.

I'll be damned if I can remember his name or any of the details of the accident, other than my mother asking me on the original day it was reported if I knew the kid (I didn't). From here on out I'll call him Chuck.

Anyway, we walk up to the news van and ask if they're here about what happened to Chuck. Yeah, they're doing a follow up piece about safety on the railroad tracks and how easy it was for Chuck to be on the tracks. No, we didn't know him. Yeah, we heard he was around our age. No, we don't know exactly what happened, just what we saw on the news.

Long story short, if the fence in the alley where Chuck supposedly came on the tracks was intact, then Chuck wouldn't have been able to be on the tracks in the first place. And yes, it's a moot point that 1) vandals were cutting the chain link fence in the alley, and 2) Chuck could have walked a quarter of a mile to an intersection/railroad crossing and gotten on the tracks that way.

Then the reporter (thin blonde woman, maybe late 20's at the time) asked us if we wanted to be on TV.

Hell yeah we did !!!

"Ok, here's what I need you guys to do... get on the tracks and start running that way..."

So we did. A couple of times. The cameraman gave a thumbs up and a nod, then the woman thanked us and came into the store with us and bought us all sodas. Cost her maybe $5. She thanked us again and told us we would be on the news that evening.

And we were.

Well, our backs were, anyway. It was a short clip of five of us running away from the camera, but we were far enough away that you couldn't tell who it was.

With the reporter's voice narrating that "Even now, there are still children trespassing on the railroad tracks."

If I have idle hands later, I may try doing the math and figure out the who and when.

But that was my very first experience realizing that not everything on television is necessarily true.

DeWoken

Sparrow
I mean, there's a huge amount of people walking around that feverently believe that the Aztec empire of millions of people that is said used to carve out people's hearts was conquered by 50 Spanish dudes with muskets.
Okay I'll bite. Who or what wiped out the Aztecs? Was Cortez a good guy?

Peacock
Gold Member
50 Spanish dudes with muskets , and the smallpox virus they were carrying.

Cortez was a mean mofo, but so were the Aztecs, their civilization was much more brutal than European ones. Nearly all pagan cults practice some form of human sacrifice, but the Aztecs were notoriously bad there. I'm not a fan of movies used as historical references, but Gibson's "Apocalypto" captured that period very well.

Last edited:

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Watching Ross Perrot/Clinton/Bush presidential debates as a kid. Hearing my Dad repeat "the giant sucking sound" of all your jobs leaving for Mexico.

Seeing it happen a few years later. Watching Michael Moores original movie, Roger and Me about sending all the jobs to Mexico.

Watching a lot of my friends Dads lose their jobs even as those companies were doing well, to lower costs.

At that time I was a very pro-union Democrat going into college-era, but understood that global forces had it out for anyone making a decent living, why not hire people for nothing.

After 9/11 it was over for me in polite conversation. I mean even Michael Moore did a movie on how ridiculous the whole thing is, even if you take the "real" MSM mainstream version of the story, as he does in Fahrenheit 9/11.

Going any further, looking into the firemen who were in the towers, that the fires on the top floors would not be anywhere near enough to make the buildings fall, how quickly and perfectly they BOTH fell, tower 7, etc.

Honestly sometimes I look at smart people and cant understand what is going on in their head so that they cant see how often they are lied to.

I have very smart friends now who believe Trump caused the covid deaths in New York and New Jersey. If you point out the governors controlled 100% of the policy, it doesnt matter.

The matrix is real and we are living in it already.

Ironside

Robin

Cortez was a mean mofo, but so were the Aztecs, their civilization was much more brutal than European ones. Nearly all pagan cults practice some form of human sacrifice, but the Aztecs were notoriously bad there. I'm not a fan of movies used as historical references, but Gibson's "Apocalypto" captured that period very well.

Mmhmm just like the Amerindians were wiped out by European contact bringing diseases, right? But not the settlements that were established in Vinland by Leif Erikson and co, obviously. Because that doesn't actually fit the narrative.
Okay I'll bite. Who or what wiped out the Aztecs? Was Cortez a good guy?
We don't know, and I'd hesitate very strongly if you encounter someone that says 'Oh, this is what happened!'
The reality is that it's become obvious that the jigsaw picture of history is largely fabricated - and all we have are a few scattered pieces that obviously don't fit. Anyone coming along to try and paint an entirely new picture based on a few fragmented pieces is bound to be wrong.
All I know is that it's wrong.
Hernán Cortés with Montezuma II..jpg
But that was my very first experience realizing that not everything on television is necessarily true.
My Grandfather used to tell me to trust nothing of what I hear and only half of what I see. Turns out he was a lot wiser than most these days.

Last edited:

Grey

Sparrow

Cortez was winning 1000:1 ratio battles with halberds and a few heavy horse. He had more than 50 guys, but he was also out of shot for either cannons or muskets.

Formation and military discipline in a tactically advantageous location went a long way.

With most of his battles he had alliances with local tribes, and that put the ratios to more reasonable 10:1 ranges. He trained his allies in Spanish military tactics and won with them.

Disease was a more long-term effect, Cortez had already conquered Mexico before disease set in as a major problem.

This is the old picture of what happened, and until recently not much disputed on any side.

Tactics are really, really important in warfare. Aztecs were still pretty much using mass and charge tactics.

There's a big gap between 'people conspire' and 'I think most of history is fabricated'. The latter falls almost into a kind of nihilism.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
The entire premise of the thread says it all : "What made you start believing?"

The trouble with conspiracy theorists is they believe, and when presented with facts - no matter from where - they never relent. It's almost like a substitute religion - to the point of cultism. Beliefs become like children, and anyone questioning those of another akin to slapping someone's child.

That and most of the theorists I've heard/read usually believe in far too many of them, all from the same side of the political aisle.

That is, I've never met a "Barack Obama is a Muslim married to a transexual" theorist who also believes that the CIA dropped crack cocaine into the projects to hook black people. It's always right-ish/libertarians on one side, and lefty loonie Antifas on the other.

For the most part it's harmless fun but when you wind up outside of a pizza joint in DC hunting pedophiles with your AR15, you've seriously tripped a brain wire somewhere.

Grey

Sparrow
The trouble with conspiracy theorists is they believe, and when presented with facts - no matter from where - they never relent. It's almost like a substitute religion - to the point of cultism. Beliefs become like children, and anyone questioning those of another akin to slapping someone's child.
This is just a general problem with dogmatism.

The way it's phrased plays with the slight of hand that mainstream narrative dogmatism is fine but non-mainstream dogmatism is bad. But mainstream narrative dogmatism is probably worse, and more dogmatic, than conspiracy dogmatism.

The CIA crack-cocaine thing is a mainstream narrative BTW, and I'm not sure many people who are familiar with it doubt there is at least some veracity to it.

Are you perhaps just listening to people who get all their news from one source and don't question it much? Being uncritical with mainstream media is bad, but it is also bad to be uncritical with alternative media.

DeWoken

Sparrow
Cortez was winning 1000:1 ratio battles with halberds and a few heavy horse. He had more than 50 guys, but he was also out of shot for either cannons or muskets.

Formation and military discipline in a tactically advantageous location went a long way.

With most of his battles he had alliances with local tribes, and that put the ratios to more reasonable 10:1 ranges. He trained his allies in Spanish military tactics and won with them.

Disease was a more long-term effect, Cortez had already conquered Mexico before disease set in as a major problem.

This is the old picture of what happened, and until recently not much disputed on any side.

Tactics are really, really important in warfare. Aztecs were still pretty much using mass and charge tactics.

There's a big gap between 'people conspire' and 'I think most of history is fabricated'. The latter falls almost into a kind of nihilism.
Yeah, that's about what I thought happened :)
I've read some Graham Hancock but never received much history education.