Conspiracy theorists--what made you start believing?

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
Accepting the truth is not hard for me; if you are a secure person, it is its own treasure. I'm on step 2. When talking to non-idiots or family members that you love and realizing not only do they deny or don't care about the truth, it gets to you. Ultimately, I just need to move to step 3 where I pray for everyone and am ok with the fact that people are, by and large, clueless.

Ronald Bernard gets invited into the inner circle of human power/evil, and bails out. There is also a 4 part series online of his full story. He omits many things for the safety of his family, but tells enough truth to show what's really going on.

Talus

Pigeon
For me it wasn't about starting to believe in conspiracies, but starting to disbelieve official history and narrative.
The reality is that it's become obvious that the jigsaw picture of history is largely fabricated - and all we have are a few scattered pieces that obviously don't fit. Anyone coming along to try and paint an entirely new picture based on a few fragmented pieces is bound to be wrong.
All I know is that it's wrong.
View attachment 25074

My Grandfather used to tell me to trust nothing of what I hear and only half of what I see. Turns out he was a lot wiser than most these days.
There's a big gap between 'people conspire' and 'I think most of history is fabricated'. The latter falls almost into a kind of nihilism.
"What is history, but a fable agreed upon."

Grey

Sparrow
"What is history, but a fable agreed upon."
Extant writings and notations by first and second hand accounts of events.

The fable is 'historical narrative'. History proper is boring to the uninitiate precicely because it is not a narrative. It's just a bunch of raw information.

Most truely history is merely a story of people. 'There is properly no history, only biography.'

Yeah, that's about what I thought happened :)
I've read some Graham Hancock but never received much history education.

Yeah, that's what the record shows. No, is Cortez a good guy, that's a more complex question. I would say, from what I understand, that he was quite literally God-sent to save the peoples of Mexico both physically from the Aztecs and eternally for the Kingdom of Heaven. And that is the result of what he did.

Other peoples points of view on that will vary greatly of course.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
Are you perhaps just listening to people who get all their news from one source and don't question it much? Being uncritical with mainstream media is bad, but it is also bad to be uncritical with alternative media.
I can't speculate on what everyone is listening to, but probably. The thing with low level conspiracy theory adherents is that participation gives a sense of belonging to something secret and special, which in the end is more valuable than learning about the facts. Challenging that will give you a thumbs down or two - I just got my first couple of them on this forum by picking away at the wall of their Truman Show.

DeWoken

Sparrow
Yeah, that's what the record shows. No, is Cortez a good guy, that's a more complex question. I would say, from what I understand, that he was quite literally God-sent to save the peoples of Mexico both physically from the Aztecs and eternally for the Kingdom of Heaven. And that is the result of what he did.

Other peoples points of view on that will vary greatly of course.
Cool. Interesting take!

I'm sure the discussion of the legend of Quetzalcoatl (and Orion and Oannes) would be a good thread for this forum. I'll see if I have the energy to do a write up.

Grey

Sparrow
The thing with low level conspiracy theory adherents is that participation gives a sense of belonging to something secret and special, which in the end is more valuable than learning about the facts.
The feeling of knowing Gnostic secrets is one hell of a drug.

It's interesting; you get a similar kind of euphoria from understanding the Christian mysteries. But the Mysteries are really special. They're dogmas of the Christian faith that are completely public and well recorded, but until you come to a certain point of spiritual maturity they make no sense. They're completely open and yet in a way they are a secret.

But gnostic secretes, and other kinds of secret understanding try to give you that feeling without actually attaining any special understanding. They're secrets simply because other people don't know them. And that's the worst kind of secret.

Cool. Interesting take!

I'm sure the discussion of the legend of Quetzalcoatl (and Orion and Oannes) would be a good thread for this forum. I'll see if I have the energy to do a write up.
Thank you. I think you're right. It would be interesting.

Grey

Sparrow
Finding out that male circumcision is rarely practiced outside the US (with the exception of Arab countries and Israel). Then, finding out that the most common circumcision device in America is the GOMCO...short for the Goldstein Manafacturing Company.
That's really an evangelical -> We are the Old Testament thing. But I see your point.

Do you have any idea how popular 'messianic Christianity' is where whites larp as Jews following the old law to worship Christ?

You wouldn't like it.

The feeling of knowing Gnostic secrets is one hell of a drug.

It's interesting; you get a similar kind of euphoria from understanding the Christian mysteries. But the Mysteries are really special. They're dogmas of the Christian faith that are completely public and well recorded, but until you come to a certain point of spiritual maturity they make no sense. They're completely open and yet in a way they are a secret.

But gnostic secretes, and other kinds of secret understanding try to give you that feeling without actually attaining any special understanding. They're secrets simply because other people don't know them. And that's the worst kind of secret.
The link between conspiracy theories and Gnosticism is not a coincidence. That's why I said upthread,

Most of the conspiracy community are New Agers or have allowed mysticism to creep into their own religious practice. This can be seen in a great deal of the QAnon discourse, and David Icke is an out-and-out gnostic. (Even Alex Jones, who presents as a Christian, has crypto-New Age beliefs: here is a video where he admits that he comes from a Freemason/Rosicrucian lineage (begins at the relevant timestamp)). These beliefs are not harmless because they contradict the truth of Scripture and the Gospel, and practicing things that they advocate (yoga, meditation, casting visions, etc.) puts you at risk of demonic oppression.

Panegyric

Isaiah 8:12: "Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread."

I find conspiracy theories fascinating. They all contain a grain of truth, but unfortunately, a lot of distraction and false conclusions as well. I learned over the years to not get caught up in conspiracies, rather, to put the emphasis on what the bible says. After reading this thread, I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts on this subject and provide some insight into how I have dealt with conspiracy theories from a Christian perspective.

I think that questioning the predominant narrative is healthy in a free and democratic society. When we are told something happened a certain way by the media, mainstream or otherwise, we often accept what we are told at face value if we have no real interest in the topic or subject. If we do discover interest, we tend to use deductive logic to try to make sense of what we are witnessing. We often provide reason for what we believe happened. We either use inductive or deductive reasoning. In inductive reasoning, we follow the evidence. We make observations, look at patterns, make a generalization, then infer a theory. In deductive reasoning we come up with a hypothesis, then try to see if the evidence fits that hypothesis. Deductive reasoning is usually what we rely on as we rarely have the ability or the capacity to examine the evidence first hand, study the evidence forensically, and make scientific analyses of the evidence as inductive reasoning would require. I mention this because it has bearing on how we approach our bible studies. With the bible, we do have the ability to follow the evidence. We also have faith that the bible is the word of God and we can be taught by the Holy Spirit that indwells us. It is impossible to please God without faith (Heb 11:6). Our understanding comes with fearing the Lord (Psalm 111:10). I believe that if we approach our study from an inductive perspective, and let the Holy Spirit will reveal to us God's word and the purpose he has for us, then we will discover the meaning of God's word and how to apply it in obedience to Christ. If however, we use deductive reasoning, and come in with our own biases before discovering what God's word has to say, we come up with a distorted and erroneous view of God's word. This distortion of God's word results in false doctrine that arises simply because we try to deduce God's word from a set of presuppositions that we have. Neo-Calvinisim, the Purpose Driven Church as propounded by Rick Warren, Peter Drucker, and the late Robert Schuller, the New Apostolic Reformation (NAR), and the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) all fall into the category of people, and organizations who impose their presuppositions on the bible. They propound false doctrine for the very reason that they suppose God's word to mean what fits their predominant world-view as opposed to reading what God's word actually says. They accept all religious beliefs as valid as long as you believe their presuppositions.

As far as conspiracies go, take for example the with the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers. Few of us have had the education, expertise, access, or ability to have gone to ground 0 to collect the evidence for ourselves. So we rely on deductive reasoning. The pitfalls with deductive reasoning is that we bring our own biases to the table. Do we think two large airplanes full of jet fuel could knock down 3 buildings? Then we come up with theories on how that could happen. Do we think some nefarious spy agency from a foreign country planted nano-thermite cutting charges in the building over a period of time set to go off remotely? Then we come up with theories that would support that conclusion. Or, do we take an inductive approach which Dr. Judy Wood takes in her presentation "Dawn of a New Age" as mentioned in a previous thread on this forum? Which of these conspiracy theories and dozens of others I have not mentioned is right, I don't know. Of all the conspiracy theories mentioned in this post, and many others I've heard, the one that I find most compelling is the World Trade Center attacks. I find it extremely hard to believe that the WTC buildings collapsed the way the NIST report alleges. I may have to live the rest of my life this side of heaven not knowing the truth about what really caused the collapse, and I'm fine with that. It doesn't really matter in the end. I always have to remind myself, as the prophet Isaiah cautions, to not be caught up in conspiracy theories. I believe that people who believe in or trust in conspiracy theories do so at the expense of trusting the Lord. And that would be the most egregious mistake we could ever make. Our eternal destiny depends our relationship to God. God doesn't care about conspiracy theories, how much money we have, or how successful we've become -or not. He cares about our heart towards him. If we obey Christ's commands (John 14:21-24) we will be saved. Brothers, we have been in the end-times for almost 2000 years, but now we are in the last days. Time is of the essence. God bless.

Eusebius

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Around 2003 I was poking around on the internet and found two things:
1. The US was hell-bent on war in the Middle East and lying out their ass about it, fully supported by the MSM;
2. The "Food Pyramid" was BS and making people fat and sick, and Ancel Keys' studies about fat and heart disease were contradicted by loads of data and research which was ignored and lied about.
It went from there.
Think about this: "conspiracy theory" (a term as we know coined by the CIA to refute questioners of the Kennedy hit) basically means ideas contradicted by the NYT and US government. I'm Australian, yet this nexus of information dispersal (the kosher American pulpit) is by default the "truth" which you may contradict only with fear and trembling.
Why is that? How did it happen? Many levels.

CSFurious

Pigeon
I read "Shadow Men" by Dr. Anthony Napoleon. I also started to read Mike King. He blogs at the "Anti-New York Times". Victor Pride also had a website "Bold & Determined" and he podcasted for approximately one year. I always knew something was wrong but they started to make it more clear.

E. Michael Jones also helped "free my mind".

I currently like to watch "The Nick DiPaolo Show", Terrence Popp, and The Thinking Ape.

For me it was GamerGate, it was blatant how much the media was misrepresenting it. Around the same time was the Mike Brown shooting, and I remember my friend telling me the true story and accurately predicted the news lying about it. Ever since then I became more skeptical of the MSM.

What really pushed me over the edge was a documentary by a Baptist pastor named Steven Anderson called "Marching To Zion". Its a very good entry point to learning about Zionism and the NWO, I became a Christian after watching it.

Overall I'd say it was a gradual process for me that spanned about a year.

Kurt veer

Happened to come across a flat earth video. Came to understand that we are fed constant lies at every level. The bible is a flat earth book. I am extremely suspicious of EVERYTHING our owners tell us

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
I find it funny that those of us share an attribute of gnosticism in that we put together information (I guess it's not special in itself) to form high level conclusions and understanding - things that others can't comprehend, don't want to, or outright deny because of all of the above? It is weird that people so frequently deny what is so clearly true that seems like a "conspiracy theory" but is actually just critical thinking. For example, I don't know how one can look at the US government (and i used to be the ultimate patriot, whatever that means) and not see it's disgusting growth into a behemoth, unAmerican (anti constitutional) machine at this point in time.

Easy_C

Crow
I saw what was a military jet (I know the difference) traveling in a circle over a base laying down a thick spray coming out of the fuselage that spread out into an opaque, dark grey cloud that looked very out of place in a sky that was mostly sunny with a few scattered cirrus clouds.