Corona Church Reopening Rules

NoMoreTO

Pelican
As Churches reopen, I am sure we will see a wide variety of changes in our parishes. We can share the varying rules and our own experiences here. Hopefully there will be opportunities to encourage our pastors to loosen up the rules.

I recently received an email from a friend containing guidance for the Catholic Diocese of Ottawa. (Attached)

Some highlights:

Not Trad friendly - restriction of communion on tongue. At latin mass, 100% of communicants receive on the tongue.
Upon the strong the recommendation of medical authorities, Holy Communion is received only in the hand at this time. (Since each communicant has the right to receive communion either on the tongue or in the hand, the traditional practice of the option of receiving on the tongue will be restored as soon as the public health situation allows for that). Communicants are instructed to remove their masks, using the straps and without touching the front of their masks, while the person ahead of them is receiving Holy Communion

Music & Singing Restricted
Music : During Mass Unfortunately, singing provides a significant opportunity for the projection of particles from the mouth. Parishioners attending Mass are asked not to sing at this time to minimize the potential spread of the virus.

A cantor (accompanied by a single instrumentalist) may sing at Mass as long as the cantor is a minimum of 3 m (10 ft) from anyone else while singing. It should be announced to the assembled prior to the start of the Mass that they should not sing. In a church where physical distancing can be ensured between choir members, then such a choir is possible but only if the choir members are a minimum of 3 m (10 ft) from one another and any other person in the Church.
Holy Water Fonts : Holy water is being left empty, while at the same time purel is being put in. Holy Cleansing will be replaced with bacterial cleansing.
Holy water fonts are to remain empty until such time as they may be used safely.
Each church should have a minimum of two locations at the entrance and exit doors of the church. Each parishioner should be directed to sanitize their hands before entering the church. A volunteer may also assist with dispensing sanitizer. Dispensers should be cleaned and refilled regularly.

Attachments

This, I think, is one of those times you have to put the new rules to the test. An unjust law is no law at all.

Before the Church shutdowns but after Corona hype started picking up steam, I went to a NuMass where everyone was receiving on the tongue. I knelt, received on the knees, and the celebrant obliged. Don't lose to the enemy before you've even reached the battlefield.

There will be people who will be devoured by these stupid rules but if there isn't one who will resist (and take the slings and arrows), no one will follow.

Here in rural central Arizona our protestant church resumed with spaced out rows of chairs, ushers in masks but otherwise the same feel and look. I didn't see any parishioners wearing masks. Our weekly communion tray was not passed but served. Singing as normal. The cafe was restricted to just a few things and I think the youth ministries have been paused.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
This, I think, is one of those times you have to put the new rules to the test. An unjust law is no law at all.

Before the Church shutdowns but after Corona hype started picking up steam, I went to a NuMass where everyone was receiving on the tongue. I knelt, received on the knees, and the celebrant obliged. Don't lose to the enemy before you've even reached the battlefield.

There will be people who will be devoured by these stupid rules but if there isn't one who will resist (and take the slings and arrows), no one will follow.
Interestingly enough, The Latin Mass was given an exemption on the Communion on the Tongue rule, so it will only be restricted at the New Mass.

Its a difficult situation, I've heard of people pushing back on priests from their kneees, but if there is another Church locally that will allow on the tongue, I would consider just going there.

Interestingly enough, The Latin Mass was given an exemption on the Communion on the Tongue rule, so it will only be restricted at the New Mass.

Its a difficult situation, I've heard of people pushing back on priests from their kneees, but if there is another Church locally that will allow on the tongue, I would consider just going there.
They're trying to push communion in the hand at least in diocesan TLM and FSSP parishes. What the rules say and what the pastors practice allow doesn't always connect, as one of the FSSP priests I confessed to flat out told me that these arbitrary rules are arbitrary and it's up to each establishment to enforce them as they see fit.

SSPX from the very beginning would not have any of that. They may have had to stop private masses for a while but when they made Eucharist (and eventually parking lot Mass) available, it was ALWAYS on the tongue.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
They're trying to push communion in the hand at least in diocesan TLM and FSSP parishes. What the rules say and what the pastors practice allow doesn't always connect, as one of the FSSP priests I confessed to flat out told me that these arbitrary rules are arbitrary and it's up to each establishment to enforce them as they see fit.

SSPX from the very beginning would not have any of that. They may have had to stop private masses for a while but when they made Eucharist (and eventually parking lot Mass) available, it was ALWAYS on the tongue.
The local FSSP parish I attended in Ottawa is exempted from the rule I recently heard. FSSP operates under the bishop of the local diocese while SSPX has their own bishops. I think this is really the crux of the issue. They are both obedient with high quality, traditional Catholic teaching. An FSSP Priest mentioned once that FSSP was told they would have a Bishop of their own , but many years later they are still patiently waiting for this.

I am in a different location now, far closer to an SSPX Church so I will begin attending there. I know there is a lot of FSSP vs. SSPX, but for me either is fine. The key to me is the reverence of the tridentine mass. I also like that the parish community is younger, and far more engaged.

The other thing that occurred to me recently was just the age of your typical Novus Ordo priest, they are elderly on average and so much more likely to be caught up in the fear of Corona. The parishioners are similar demographic. A lot of older people are worried about Corona, and it's a little more justifiable given their age and trust in the media.