Coronavirus Economic, Cultural, Political Ramifications

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
Is there a thread or discussion anywhere on the work from home trend and long term implications? On the one hand, fewer H1B immigrants physically present in the U.S. but OTOH companies may end up increasing the amount of work they outsource to foreigners if they can work and be managed remotely. Not sure if this is a net gain for U.S. workers. On the real estate thread there is alot of discussion about the death of big cities and commercial real estate.

paninaro

Woodpecker
Is there a thread or discussion anywhere on the work from home trend and long term implications? On the one hand, fewer H1B immigrants physically present in the U.S. but OTOH companies may end up increasing the amount of work they outsource to foreigners if they can work and be managed remotely. Not sure if this is a net gain for U.S. workers. On the real estate thread there is alot of discussion about the death of big cities and commercial real estate.
Or they could outsource to cheaper cities/towns within the US. It's a lot easier to pay someone within the US (tax and benefits paperwork); they're in the same general timezone; no cultural mismatches; and they can pass a background check.

CynicalContrarian

Peacock
Gold Member
Well..., ain't that just... odd...

Bizarre EU-Funded Comic Book (2012) Predicted Pandemic, With Globalists As Saviours

A strange comic book that was commissioned for publication by the European Union in 2012 eerily predicted almost exactly what has unfolded with the Covid-19 global pandemic. However, in this propaganda laced presentation of the outbreak, unelected globalist bureaucrats save the planet.

The comic book, titled ‘Infected’, was a production of the European Commission’s international cooperation and development arm. It was not intended for widespread public consumption, but instead to be distributed inside EU institutions. Only a few hundred of the comic books were made.
The EU’s description of the strange publication states that “While the story may be fictional, it is nevertheless intertwined with some factual information.”
The graphic novel depicts scientists inside a lab in China experimenting with deadly pathogens:

A wannabe hero time travels from the future, alerting authorities to the coming pandemic, and presents an antidote, before quickly becoming the target of opportunists who want to steal the cure and sell it to drug companies:

The story features the transmission of a novel virus from animals to humans in a crowded wet market:

“Indeed, imagine if you were infected in this market by a new contagious agent.” says the UN’s chief advisor on contagious diseases, adding “You probably wouldn’t even realise it until the end of the incubation period.”
The publication suggests that air travel would exacerbate the spread of the disease, with the character adding that “You’d have headed back to Europe, the US, Latin America, or Australia as planned via an international airport.”
The cartoon depicts the failure of a global health organisation to act quickly enough to stop a pandemic:

It also predicts draconian safety measures, including social distancing, which make everyday life “totally unbearable”:
The piece concludes with an EU Parliament hearing, in which Brussels pushes for more integrated European cooperation on global health matters, mirroring a real life initiative known as ‘One health’.

The globalists are lauded for helping develop and distribute a vaccine to the world:

Comic to be found here :

kel

Kingfisher
I still don't understand what makes so many people confident that there will be a vaccine for a rapidly-mutating virus of a class for which there has never been a successful vaccine.

rpg

Ostrich
I still don't understand what makes so many people confident that there will be a vaccine for a rapidly-mutating virus of a class for which there has never been a successful vaccine.
It won't work. There are thousands of strains already.

Greyman

Sparrow
[/QUOTE]

Damn...this is a hard one.
On one hand I hate everything that the .gov agencies are about....Trust; CPS is one agency that needs to go away but NOW
47863698_1588650211881634_r.jpeg

On the other; wonder who/what her affiliations, political views, friends are.....?

Anyone want to guess?

All of this is a great bullet point though for people on the fence...and will wake the F outta a few normies...

Would this be considered a win for the societal woke aspect? Even tho I wouldn't doubt at any other time in our stint here collectively, more than likely we'd be having a discussion on the non-virtues of tattoo's and nose rings or simply responded with a "WB" or not....shrug?

Interesting times indeed. The enemy of my enemy and all....right?

Flol what an brilliant fucked up time to be alive I tell ya.

Last edited:

rpg

Ostrich
The local haircut lady is back on the job but she is going to close her location and do work from her house soon. She is too spooked to keep paying rent. On the other hand, she recounted that another stylist was doing work during quarantine, cops showed up at the house pounding on the door, and the stylist and customer hid in the bathroom until cops left. They were banking on the cops not busting down the door and barging in and it worked.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
^Works for a lot of stuff. Some time ago when people complained about the cops being able to come to their house and breath test them after they were suspected of having driven recently I asked honestly why people would even answer their door.

There is a huge gulf between the cops pounding loudly on your door and them actually making forced entry, and for all the trivial stuff they are generally extremely hesitant to cross that line.

Nothing says "sorry, I didn't hear you" like a decent set of over ear headphones but 99% of the time they're simply going to cut their losses and piss off.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Damn...this is a hard one.
On one hand I hate everything that the .gov agencies are about....
View attachment 23002

On the other; wonder who/what her affiliations, political views, friends are.....?

Anyone want to guess?

All of this is a great bullet point though for people on the fence...and will wake the F outta a few normies...

Would this be considered a win for the societal woke aspect? Even tho I doubt at any other time in our stint here collectively, we'd be having a discussion on the non-virtues of tattoo's and nose rings or simply responded with a "WB" or not....shrug?

Interesting times indeed. The enemy of my enemy and all....right?

Flol what an interestingly fucked up time to be alive I tell ya.
It's pretty obvious that her "salon ownership" is just a money-laundering front for cash earned in Dubai.

Greyman

Sparrow
It's pretty obvious that her "salon ownership" is just a money-laundering front for cash earned in Dubai.
Lol Probably. Those lips. For the love of ANYthing holy what Kardashian inspired trash do women feel the need to sink to in the quest for virtue signaling? Truly a dystopian art form...ok now back.

Much like Joe the Plumber or *insert an insignificant 15 min of fame icon*

This trash woman may be a great vehicle to awake a few otherwise head in the sand sheep...Keep it up .Gov....

Boxes checked off for the modern empowered woman:

(to the tune that it actually helps the message that this (non) pandemic overreach has gone FAR outside anyone imagination)

-woman ....(GMAFB)
-maternal instinct
-working oppressed
-victim of their own putrid ideology
-???

Was it Sun Tzu that said if you enemy is shooting himself in the foot...let him?

8ball

Kingfisher
The economic recovery will happen faster than the doomsayers. Right now the major brick and mortar losses are too high for the e-commerce gains and healthcare/education/hospitality has taken a huge hit. The more people get back to work the more they resume normal activities like going to the dentist and any other surgery they delayed before. Companies should see most industries posting close to flat YoY numbers in 2-3 months. I am actually amazed at how fast American companies are able to adapt, its really been inspiring to watch. Full disclosure, one of my main clients is currently a large retailer.

Around August retail will be on pre pandemic levels only the share will skew towards e-comm. More jobs will be needed for call centers and less on store clerks. Companies are loving this because they have already transitioned their call center to work from home and can higher Americans in small towns with half the wage they would need in say California which is where i am.

While hospitality and tourism has crashed Americans will likely spend more when things open up, airlines have been balied out and most people will travel inside their country at a far higher rate than normal. Less money for say france/mexico/tailand but more for florida and nevada. Foreign travel will likely be the last thing to go back to normal.

Dont listen to "experts" who say a good target for unemployment is 8-9 percent by end of year. Thats based on nothing changing at all and companies sitting around doing nothing except watching everything burn down. Thats not how it works.

Yes its true: theater ticket stub guy, back up hostess who's job is to say hello while swiping her phone and my favorite - guy with flag pointing to parking ramp, these specific jobs might not be coming back in pre pandemic numbers but those skills as meager as they are can be transferable to new positions and it will not take till mid 2021 for the transition to occur.

Foreign travel will likely be the last thing to go back to normal.
Good stuff, 8Ball. I have for a while predicted similar things in that most people have major recency bias, are pessimists even though big picture life has been good for a long time, etc --- a majority of life complains and 1st world problems are from the fact that certain problems and solutions are very obvious and thus, frustrating. Most people know the game more than they ever did before, it's just that the system can be too much to overcome.

As an aside, perhaps I didn't look hard enough, but I'm wondering if there is a dedicated thread to the foreign travel question. I am asking because I don't want to get it lost here and it's pretty specific. Namely, will the increased costs in traveling (economic, national interests, inconvenience, etc) put a reverse on what had been ruining former * paradises? The default presumption would be yes. Do you all agree (and should I dedicate a thread to such)?