Coronavirus Economic, Cultural, Political Ramifications

Roosh

Cardinal
All the people who can't fly abroad will probably now be clogging parks and camping grounds:
“Camping is going to be big, whether at the national or state park level. A lot of state parks will be rediscovered because the national parks are going to be full. You can count on that,” Greenberg said.

What about traveling out of the country?

“International travel is essentially dead on arrival now,” Greenberg said, with numerous countries in Europe alone requiring or planning to require travelers to quarantine for 14 days after they arrive.

Lazuli Waves

Woodpecker
I am noticing my co-workers are getting angry. My place of employment is working on getting us back at work physically, and co-workers seemed angry about that because they are afraid. Some had hours reduced and they were angry about that. They seem angry about all kinds of things... just angry in general.

I think most of the people I work with are fully on-board with the lockdown. They are more afraid of the virus and don't understand the economic or cultural impact. Up until now, they've been scared but not angry.

Easy_C

Crow
Because, as I mentioned earlier, people think you have a 1 in 10 chance of dying if you come into contact with the virus.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I am noticing my co-workers are getting angry. My place of employment is working on getting us back at work physically, and co-workers seemed angry about that because they are afraid. Some had hours reduced and they were angry about that. They seem angry about all kinds of things... just angry in general.

I think most of the people I work with are fully on-board with the lockdown. They are more afraid of the virus and don't understand the economic or cultural impact. Up until now, they've been scared but not angry.
I noticed the same thing. I went back to my downtown condo to get mail and water plants yesterday, and had an altercation with a neighbor in the elevator. Apparently only two people at a time are allowed, and I got in with my son, making 4 total. He had a freak out. Normally a nice enough guy, but he hit hysterics pretty quick. Also had a guy who was installing some thermostats make an exaggerated and loud exasperated exhale as my son and I walked by him in the hall.

I don't see people getting violent, but I think confrontation is going to get higher. For now.

Everyone seems to think their assholery is justified as they are being a "GOOD PERSON".

Lazuli Waves

Woodpecker
I don't see people getting violent, but I think confrontation is going to get higher. For now.

School board member resigns after threatening to shoot any mask-less person who comes near her

A board member of a Pennsylvania public school district resigned her post in the wake of criticism over her Facebook post that threatened to shoot anyone not wearing a mask who got within six feet of her or her family.

Jennifer Rager-Kay’s husband also resigned from his position as a public defender...

“As a concerned carry-permitted gun owner, if you refuse to wear a mask and try to come within 6 feet of me or my family, I will exercise the same constitutional rights to shoot you.”
She apologized, but in the apology referred to those who don't wear masks and come near people as "bioterrorists."

She also looks like a Karen.

Those adults who are starting to freak out presumably have well-developed brains physically speaking. Children whose brains are still developing are probably going to come out of this worse. Especially teenagers whose emotions are running high. School is usually the outlet for children to handle stress and this has been snatched away from them. The CDC has published recommendations for schools for next year that border child abuse (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html). My suspicion is that big pharma will make a killing off of the mental damage this is going to do for both adults and children.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
She apologized, but in the apology referred to those who don't wear masks and come near people as "bioterrorists."

To clarify, when I said "I don't see people getting violent" I meant that most people freaking out do not have the capacity for actual physical violence. They yell, scream and go into hysterics. But they are generally not violent acting people. However, they can - and will - call out for others to do the violent acts for them.

This is the intended outcome of the bubble wrapped nanny state.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Those adults who are starting to freak out presumably have well-developed brains physically speaking. Children whose brains are still developing are probably going to come out of this worse. Especially teenagers whose emotions are running high. School is usually the outlet for children to handle stress and this has been snatched away from them. The CDC has published recommendations for schools for next year that border child abuse (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/schools.html). My suspicion is that big pharma will make a killing off of the mental damage this is going to do for both adults and children.
I agree generally, but what do you mean with "School is usually the outlet for children to handle stress"? Unless you're lucky enough to have a great private school, school is usually a shitty, needlessly stressful environment for kids. There's a reason for all the homeschooling, and it's not just the quality of education.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
My spidey sense went off after looking at her last name and picture.

Her married last name - Dr. Jennifer Rager-Kay - is a typical "strong empowered woman" feminist mindset.

The article mentioned she ran unsuccessfully as a Democrat for an open state House seat in Pennsylvania. I took a quick look at her campaign website's Endorsements section:
PA NOW = National Organization for Women; Equality PA = LGBQT.

Basically, she's a Leftist-Feminist nutjob.

I agree generally, but what do you mean with "School is usually the outlet for children to handle stress"? Unless you're lucky enough to have a great private school, school is usually a shitty, needlessly stressful environment for kids. There's a reason for all the homeschooling, and it's not just the quality of education.
I disagree, most kids enjoy school not because of the educational aspect or lack thereof but because they get to be around their friends. Now the kids that get bullied hate it but despite what the media portrays most kids do not get bullied in school. If you know any children personally ask them would they rather be in school with their friends or at home with their parents? Even my worst behaved or performing students when asked if they would rather be home playing video games or watching tv or at school in some boring lesson they always reply school. We as adults sometimes believe the hype that all children are just cell phone addicted zombies like their adult parents but many kids can not afford all the latest gadgets. Most kids and this is just from personal experience enjoy being around other kids, playing, making fun of the teacher, and not having adults invading their personal space. Contrast that to what is happening now in most homes. Children are away from their friends, at home with parents that they may or may not have a good relationship with, and they are not allowed to go outside, play sports, attend activities (movies, concerts, sleepovers) and to top it off they are being told this is the new normal. Pardon me If I think an adult using tinder, still able to see friends, drive to Walmart or any other business that has other human beings, and work (in some cases) is more affected than the child. Im also not even mentioning all of the illegal and in some states legal activities that adults are using to mitigate stress that is not available to children.

Last edited:

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Gold's Gym has filed for Chapter 11.

Last month, 24 Hour Fitness was planning to file for bankruptcy.

Sherman

Ostrich
The government has kicked in the balls the few people in America who want to exercise and stay in shape. Gym life has basically been ruined and won’t come back for a long time. Then there is the factor that social isolation has real consequences of the mental health of millions. The proudly obese are protected at the detriment of everyone else.

Roosh

Cardinal
People were probably getting excited that they could remote work from a cheaper place. Their oligarch master just announced that it won't work like that.
The company could be cutting pay - or "adjusting compensations" as CNBC so lovingly put it - based on the cost of living of where people will be working from.

“We’ll adjust salary to your location at that point. There’ll be severe ramifications for people who are not honest about this,” Zuckerberg said, hilariously saying that the adjustments were necessary for "taxes and accounting".

The company said it aims to "aggressively" ramp up its hiring of remote workers and that they will take a measured approach to opening up permanent remote work positions for existing employees.
Once companies get the hang of remote work, they will then outsource those jobs to India, etc just like they did manufacturing jobs a couple decades ago. This is a big trap.

Mountaineer

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Some positions can't be outsourced to India because Indians are incompetent. It's a known fact in companies who already outsource jobs there.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Hertz files for bankruptcy. 19B in debt. They will probably have to start liquidating inventory (cars).

I heard about this and the number attached knocked my socks off.

You have to wonder how much these companies were running on pure credit, literally miles out to sea standing on a wafer thin sheet of ice. 50 years ago a similar business would have owned all those cars outright, so they would have sold a bunch, downsized and got on with life. Now? Some bank has the letter on all those cars so you're actually renting a car that is itself being rented from the banks.

Crazy. This is how bubbles are made and burst.