Coronavirus Product & Services Shortage Thread

NoMoreTO

Pelican
This thread can be used to track product & services shortages with anectdotal information along with articles.

Purpose of thread is that members of this forum can stay ahead of the herd on many of these practical preparatory steps. Products that you are seeing coming off the shelves, and how to find & acquire hard to locate products.

The first run was on masks, hand sanitzer and items related to Corona, but the next run could be based on supply chain breakdowns which WILL occur if this shutdown continues.

What products are members picking up as a prepping measure ?

This weekend I was able to buy a gasoline generator on sale, but things like deep freezes are sold-out.

I had an issue with a furnace in a rental property. The repairman is running as a one man shop now, all his guys are laid off and basically don't want to come into work. It might be a good idea to get your furnace checked up over the summer as a precautionary measure, and consider a wood stove or secondary heating method as a backup.

I'm out on a farm here so we filled up our diesel and gas tanks, but for the guys in the city I don't think it would be a bad idea to buy a couple cherry cans and have some extra.

Meat
I am becoming increasingly concerned about meat shortages for about a week now. I have heard a few normie friends forward on articles about food shortages recently so I Think the concern is growing. Stocking up might soon not be an option as many city grocers are imposing limits per visit.

kel

Kingfisher
I'm limited in how much meat I can store in my little freezer. I should stock up on pemmican just in case.

Sherman

Ostrich
In California, you still can't get toilet paper. The shelves of the grocery stores are always empty. But the Mexican supermarkets are stocked.

I am in NYC. I had been trying to hold off going to the grocery store for as long as I could, but my food supply is low enough today I had to make the trip. I went around 10 AM in the morning. Also, it's a pretty rainy and windy day here today, so I was hoping that would keep people home. Went to the first grocery store and they were almost completely out of meat and out of most produce (though the asparagus seemed well stocked). Toilet paper aisle still completely empty. No eggs, little orange juice. I saw flour was back in stock though (it wasn't when I last went to grocery store about 2 weeks ago). Went to the second grocery store, and they had a better meat supply, although that was sorta on the low side as well. Couldn't get my first choice of exactly the type of meat I was looking for, but they had close substitutes. Fresh produce was also in limited supply here too, but some items were available. Also no toilet paper or eggs. I guess between the two stores those were the only items I was looking for that I couldn't find (although I had to buy frozen produce instead of fresh). I thought I read in another topic somewhere farmers had to smash their eggs because no one was buying them.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
kel said:
I'm limited in how much meat I can store in my little freezer. I should stock up on pemmican just in case.
Jerky or those little Peperrettes might not be a bad idea.

Also, consider reorganizing your fridge to maximize efficiency. I took some of my meat out of the bulky boxes and this helped a lot. Similarly I took all the frozen pizzas out of their boxes and they took up about 1/2 the space.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
NoMoreTO said:
This thread can be used to track product & services shortages with anectdotal information along with articles.

Purpose of thread is that members of this forum can stay ahead of the herd on many of these practical preparatory steps. Products that you are seeing coming off the shelves, and how to find & acquire hard to locate products.

The first run was on masks, hand sanitzer and items related to Corona, but the next run could be based on supply chain breakdowns which WILL occur if this shutdown continues.

What products are members picking up as a prepping measure ?

This weekend I was able to buy a gasoline generator on sale, but things like deep freezes are sold-out.

I had an issue with a furnace in a rental property. The repairman is running as a one man shop now, all his guys are laid off and basically don't want to come into work. It might be a good idea to get your furnace checked up over the summer as a precautionary measure, and consider a wood stove or secondary heating method as a backup.

I'm out on a farm here so we filled up our diesel and gas tanks, but for the guys in the city I don't think it would be a bad idea to buy a couple cherry cans and have some extra.

[u]Meat[/u]
I am becoming increasingly concerned about meat shortages for about a week now. I have heard a few normie friends forward on articles about food shortages recently so I Think the concern is growing. Stocking up might soon not be an option as many city grocers are imposing limits per visit.

FYI, Smithfield was bought up entirely by China, they also supply a lot of pork to China https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-swinefever-smithfield-foods-foc-idUSKBN1XF0XC

This shut down may impact China more than it impacts the US. Keep your reality hats on. US Agriculture is an export market, it can be cut WAY back before domestic farm supply becomes a problem. Supply chain disruptions yes, but not oblivion.

For example, I am able to find good ammunition now at most of the online retailers I use, after them being out of stock for about 45 days. Its hardly "the end" it just requires some maneuvering.

Toilet paper is not a neccessity and there are way to find it outside of your retail supply chains.

I just went to my local Costco here in the Chicago burbs. Two huge empty pallets where the large cases of eggs are supposed to be. The manager said more are on order, but they aren't getting shipments every day.

JiggyLordJr

Woodpecker
Think about how much arable land there is in the U.S. - it's almost impossible to run out of food given the sheer magnitude being grown / raised.

Crow
Where I am we had a run on eggs two weeks ago but it has since stabilized, because people can only hoard so much of it since it's a perishable item. You should get your supplies back soon.

kel said:
Canned fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna) is a very good protein source that takes little space in your cupboard. Get 50 to 100 cans as a reserve. Don't make it all tuna because it has heavy metals in it and you shouldn't eat it every day (once or twice a week is fine though).

Also you can store your meat in plastic bags instead of the supermarket styrofoam packaging which takes up more space. You should do that anyway for items like ground beef because it's hard to break it off in serving/cooking size once frozen.

Sausages store long in the fridge, about a month or two, so that's a good buffer to keep as well. Get three dozen eggs as a buffer too, they also store for a month or two so you can rotate your supply, placing the new trays at the bottom of the stack.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
How much of that arable land is being wasted on crap corn meant for corn syrup and animal feed? If it's going to animal feed, pigs are being fed, yet Smithfield is shutting down because of the virus and worker health conditions. if they can't make the working conditions safer it won't matter what the farms are capable of, the food just won't get processed. Whether its more PPE, UV-C lights, checkpoints, whatever - they need to address what's actually causing the bottleneck.

Crow
Here's a god recipe for canned tuna and salmon sandwiches: mix 2 tbspns of may with 1 tbspn mustard, 1/2 teaspn of curcuma and 1/2 tspn of curry powder, some seafood herb mix (dill, fennel, garlic powder), chili powder, fresh cut chives. Blend the fish chunks in, and use in sandwhich, toasted bread lined with sliced tomatoes.

Crow
SlickyBoy said:
How much of that arable land is being wasted on crap corn meant for corn syrup and animal feed? If it's going to animal feed, pigs are being fed, yet Smithfield is shutting down because of the virus and worker health conditions. if they can't make the working conditions safer it won't matter what the farms are capable of, the food just won't get processed. Whether its more PPE, UV-C lights, checkpoints, whatever - they need to address what's actually causing the bottleneck.
The one thing they should definitely do in N. America is slash the production of ethanol derived from corn. There is no need for biofuels in times of food shortages, financial hardship with unemployed people unable to buy staples, and the world flooded in oil with prices at historic lows. Corn for biofuels should be converted into corn for food or animal feed.

If the politicians can't get even this right, there is no hope for them.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Guys, if you're writing anecdotal reports, don't forget to mention where you're at (City/Region/Country). If you don't want to disclose the exact city for privacy reasons, at least write the region. There might be a huge difference between Paris and French Alps, Greek mainland and islands, or North Dakota and New York.

Troller

Woodpecker
China's Renren reaches deal to purchase Trucker Path

https://www.fleetowner.com/technolo...-renren-reaches-deal-to-purchase-trucker-path

Renren Inc. has reached an agreement to purchase Trucker Path Inc.

Fleet Owner Staff
JAN 01, 2018

Renren Inc. announced it has reached an agreement to purchase Trucker Path for an undisclosed sum.

Trucker Path operates a smart phone app that provides real-time parking information. It also offers trip planning, freight load matching, and other services. It has more than 600,000 monthly users, and sees more over three million loads posted a month. In October, Trucker Path announced it has topped two million installations of the app.

Renren operates a social networking service and an web-based finance business in China. It is traded on the New York Stock Exchange. This is the company’s first purchase in the freight transportation space.

"Currently, the two major emerging technology areas are artificial intelligence and blockchain. With the acquisition of the Trucker Path social platform and the Truckloads freight marketplace, the company will be well-positioned technologically to drive innovation within this important industry,” said Joseph Chen, chairman and CEO of Renren.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
Handsome Creepy Eel said:
Guys, if you're writing anecdotal reports, don't forget to mention where you're at (City/Region/Country). If you don't want to disclose the exact city for privacy reasons, at least write the region. There might be a huge difference between Paris and French Alps, Greek mainland and islands, or North Dakota and New York.
3rd tier city, which is barely a city, in the middle of Wisconsin. Farms as far as the eye can see which produce potatoes, corn, soybeans and dairy.

There is a canning factory in town that also cans beets, green beans and corn. There are also two factories that produce pretty much every frozen fried potato option you see in the freezer aisle.

Toilet paper is about the only thing that there is a run on here. I have heard that the lines and shortages are worse in the larger cities.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
911 said:
Here's a god recipe for canned tuna and salmon sandwiches: mix 2 tbspns of may with 1 tbspn mustard, 1/2 teaspn of curcuma and 1/2 tspn of curry powder, some seafood herb mix (dill, fennel, garlic powder), chili powder, fresh cut chives. Blend the fish chunks in, and use in sandwhich, toasted bread lined with sliced tomatoes.
I always though God might eat a little better than that. The seasoning mix sounds good for humans though.

Roosh

Cardinal
Hard to find flour or yeast in the D.C. area. It's been persistently out of stock even though the bread aisle is mostly full.

Horus

Ostrich
Gold Member
NoMoreTO said:
I wouldn't go as far as to believe the current situation was manufactured in order to dismantle the meat industry, as this guy seems to believe. But I'm sure the same guys that push climate change propoganda and other shady stuff will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of the collapse of the meat industry. The recent uptick in anti meat propoganda has made it clear that there is a plan in that direction. Now could be the perfect opportunity for them to make their move.

I've noticed an increase in articles about lab grown "meat" lately, and I would be very interested to see which people or companies have invested in this area. The technology isn't quite ready yet for it to be affordable, but it will be very soon. It was less than a decade ago that lab grown meat cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce per kilogram, and now it's down to less than fifty dollars per kilogram. When normal meat production does falter, and it becomes scarce, consumers will be much more willing to try lab grown meat, and there will be a hell of a lot of money to be made.

I think that it won't be long before this technology progresses to the point that traditional meat farming won't be able to compete, and real meat will be prohibitively expensive for normal people. We will soon have to get used to cell cultured "meat," which of course has been engineered to not include all the yucky cholesterol and saturated fat, (which was clearly a mistake in God's creation), and will contain the perfect balance of fortified nutrition to keep us healthy and strong as decided by people who clearly have the best intentions of humanity at heart.

Oh, and what do you know? While I did a quick Google search to double check my facts, I came across this article written by none other than Bill Gates himself.
Growing animal protein in a lab isn’t about feeding more people. There’s enough livestock to feed the world already, even as demand for meat goes up. Next-generation protein isn’t about creating more—it’s about making meat better. It lets us provide for a growing and wealthier world without contributing to deforestation or emitting methane. It also allows us to enjoy hamburgers without killing any animals.
Thanks Bill for saving the world. You're the hero we all need.