Coronavirus Product & Services Shortage Thread

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member
Zinc is non-existent in western NY.

Luckily I'm stocked up on it and Vitamin C, and have been taking it (C) daily.

Yesterday I made a multi store run, hitting 7 grocery stores and stocking up primarily on beef and chicken (stores here have a 1 or 2 package limit). Walmart, Wegmans, and Tops are all out of zinc.

*Wegmans and Tops are based in western NY.

On a side note, I highly recommend doing grocery runs during the day between 10 and 1. At least here, I've found that to be the sweet spot in regards to the number of shoppers and congestion.

Any other times I've gone, there's at least 20 people standing in line outside of one entrance, as they have the other entrance designated as an exit only. At least at the Wegmans and Walmarts in my area. Lowes and Home Depot have been doing the same thing in regards to the queue lines. Both have signs posted, referencing some person to square footage ratio.

Right now I don't have the necessity or the tolerance to stand in line outside of any store.

Between this and the Black Friday lines, I expect people will be rationalizing the queue lines soon enough.
 

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Handsome Creepy Eel said:
911 said:
Lots of nitrates too, there is a reason those meaty tubes can last so long at room temperature...
"I won't eat this juicy sausage because it's full of nitrates."
- Said no starving person ever
A while back I was looking for large-quantity salt for storage that didn't have anti-caking chemicals in it before I realised that if I were living in a dystopian Mad Max nightmare where not even salt was available then I'm sure I would be very lucky to die of chemical accelerated dementia in my ripe old 70's.

Heck, I might even risk growing titties by drinking soy milk if it's a choice between that and death by undernourishment.
 

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
Leonard D Neubache said:
Handsome Creepy Eel said:
911 said:
Lots of nitrates too, there is a reason those meaty tubes can last so long at room temperature...
"I won't eat this juicy sausage because it's full of nitrates."
- Said no starving person ever
A while back I was looking for large-quantity salt for storage that didn't have anti-caking chemicals in it before I realised that if I were living in a dystopian Mad Max nightmare where not even salt was available then I'm sure I would be very lucky to die of chemical accelerated dementia in my ripe old 70's.

Heck, I might even risk growing titties by drinking soy milk if it's a choice between that and death by undernourishment.
You just made it even more dystopian....the year is 2060...the warlords of America who have survived long enough to reach old age in the wastelands all have high blood pressure and man boobs from consuming shelf stable food hoards only available to the rich and powerful. Dried meat, and boxed soy milk from the year 2020.
 

NoMoreTO

Pelican
I am a big fan of vegetable broth. I have been picking a few extra up on every run to the grocer.

Vegetable soup is incredibly easy to make and quite tasty.
 

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
I doubt the USA will have food problems. It is the net-importers of food that will struggle such as several EU countries and the UK.

If the USA stops exporting or slows exports like several other countries are doing right now then that is when you will start to see things dwindle and another panic run wont be far off.
 

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
Here in Britain we have a semi lockdown. Businesses where people congregate are closed (think pubs, clothing shops etc). Small businesses who cannot work from home but can observe social distancing (builders etc) are being pretty much encouraged to keep working, 'keep the economy going'.

However, all the builders merchants are for some reason still closed. So there's a huge shortage of things like cement. Aggretage companies are still running lorries, so you can get an 8-wheeler of ballast no trouble. But it's not much use without the dust. Luckily I've always kept a fair bit of gear in stock so we're good for a while, though we've had to postpone a few jobs.
 

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
I'm in Edmonton, Canada and spent the weekend at my native buddy's place to help him butcher up an elk he shot a few days before, for my time he gave me enough meat to last me at least a month and if I need more I can just ask, he has freezers full.
 
I went to Dollar Tree in west Los Angeles and they had toilet paper and paper towels. I've not seen any toilet paper in any main supermarkets for weeks now, except one time in a Food 4 Less. Rite Aid Pharmacy had toilet paper. Eggs are available at most places, so are most frozen goods, except vegetables. Canned soup has started reappearing on the shelves but all the pasta is gone.

Bar soap is easy to get hold, and hand soap can be found outside of big supermarkets. I haven't seen any hand sanitiser anywhere (not that I use it).

I have a bidet so my toilet paper usage is minimal.
 

NoMoreTO

Pelican
I recently purchased a New Deep Freeze.

It was a small one, just 3.5 Cubic Square Feet. This is a smaller size unit that people actually fit into apartments and such so it doesn't eat up that much space.

I didn't think I would see one, but there was one left in inventory.

If you don't have one, this is a good item to have.
 

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
NoMoreTO said:
I recently purchased a New Deep Freeze.

It was a small one, just 3.5 Cubic Square Feet. This is a smaller size unit that people actually fit into apartments and such so it doesn't eat up that much space.

I didn't think I would see one, but there was one left in inventory.

If you don't have one, this is a good item to have.
I wouldn't get one without also having a generator. After we've had tornado's etc that knock out power here the volumes of food that people have to dump out on the curb from their deep freeze's is sad.
 

NoMoreTO

Pelican
Dr. Howard said:
NoMoreTO said:
I recently purchased a New Deep Freeze.
I wouldn't get one without also having a generator. After we've had tornado's etc that knock out power here the volumes of food that people have to dump out on the curb from their deep freeze's is sad.
Got a generator too :)
 
NoMoreTO said:
Dr. Howard said:
NoMoreTO said:
I recently purchased a New Deep Freeze.
I wouldn't get one without also having a generator. After we've had tornado's etc that knock out power here the volumes of food that people have to dump out on the curb from their deep freeze's is sad.
Got a generator too :)
I have a relatively small chest freezer; couple years ago took off on a camping trip and power line got cut shortly after. Returned home after the power had been off for 7-8 days and most of the stuff in the freezer was cold, the bottom layer stuff was still frozen. Not opening the lid keeps it cold much longer.
If you needed to, I imagine you could get away with only running it for an hour or so every day, not continually.
 

911

Crow
add ice packs and water bags to the freezer if it's not full, the extra thermal inertia will keep the freezer content cold if the power is cut off for a long time.
 

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
ed pluribus unum said:
NoMoreTO said:
Dr. Howard said:
NoMoreTO said:
I recently purchased a New Deep Freeze.
I wouldn't get one without also having a generator. After we've had tornado's etc that knock out power here the volumes of food that people have to dump out on the curb from their deep freeze's is sad.
Got a generator too :)
I have a relatively small chest freezer; couple years ago took off on a camping trip and power line got cut shortly after. Returned home after the power had been off for 7-8 days and most of the stuff in the freezer was cold, the bottom layer stuff was still frozen. Not opening the lid keeps it cold much longer.
If you needed to, I imagine you could get away with only running it for an hour or so every day, not continually.
Yup, this. You only need run it for probably half an hour a day to pull it back down so long as you don't open the lid often.
 

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Vancouver, Canada.

Currently on a farm 20min from downtown.

After 3 weeks, we finally hit the breadline to top up on some supplies. I really do not like the line up thing. In fact, it made me a bit sick.

It was 20 min to get in to the downtown Costco. They had everything. Fully stocked on all food items. They had toilet paper.

I will still keep about 30lbs of meat in my deep freeze at all times I think. At least until some of the uncertainty in all this is made a bit more clear.

The cutback of the Cargill slaughterhouse is a special piss off. I have family from Longview and Black Diamond and this place is brutal. They lobby the government to shut down all the smaller places and consolidate the slaughter to the big guys in High River and Brooks. Staff them full of gangster Somalians and now they just shut down leaving millions of kg of cattle just milling about.

We have plenty of food in North America. What we don't have is the robust system to help us from all the stupidity and easy living that fucked us all over in just a few weeks.
 

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
Wisconsin here: NPCs are out and about spending their coronavirus checks. Online grocery pickup at Walmart went from having slots open 2 days in advance to now 5 days in advance. Almost everything in stock except toilet paper.
 
Top