Coronavirus Product & Services Shortage Thread

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Its insane how many people at meat packing plants seem to pick up the virus. I'm not totally sure why this is, is there a scientific reason because of the meat , coincidence or some sort of conspiracy. I haven't heard of any manufacturing facilities shutting down due to Corona , just meat packers. Its uncanny.
Probably some combination of the following:

A) Massive aerosolization of organic materials that spread any viral particles all over the facility within minutes. This is also why the workers there often get bizarre diseases that you rarely find anywhere else, such as antibiotic-resistant eye infections.
B) An unusually large share of workers housed in crowded, dorm-type accommodation close to the facility
C) An unusually large concentration of people (since the process cannot be as automated as in other manufacturing industries)
D) An unusually large share of underpaid migrant (whether legal or illegal) workers who are more lax about obeying safety regulations than the typical worker

Even a grain processing facility avoids at least two of those factors, and most industrial manufacturing (cars, turbines, kitchenware, tools, etc.) probably avoids all of them.

IMO, the only solution is for the meat processing industry to be more highly regulated, and for it to start employing better workers in better conditions, even if it leads to the price of meat increasing.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
^^^ Thanks , Lots of serious answers here.

The other solution would be a return back to butchers and more small local meat processing plants. Part of the issue is entire plants are going down which control massive amounts of total meat supply.

donvance

I stopped by our local discount closeout store (Ollies) and found disposable masks for sale.

They were $39.99 for 50 throwaway paper masks. I didn't buy any.

I was a little mad but we want free market and this is free market at it's finest. Shortage causes prices to go up. My question is, why the shortage? It seems like, to me, some of these big companies (like p& g or j&j) would be able to run off millions of these products. The shut down started on my birthday which was march 13th. It is two months later, May 13th, and still no masks. I suspect conspiracy. We should be seeing these paper masks for sale for pennies each by this time and for sale in the aisle of every open retail store.

donvance

Donvance, just give it a few hours and some big brains will drop by to explain to you why industrial production is impossible to set up or retool slightly at such a short notice as two days weeks months years.
Yeah, I love a good excuse to make things better and rationalize a righteous existence. Thanks for your thumbs up and thumbs up for your post.

Last edited:

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
^^^ Thanks , Lots of serious answers here.

The other solution would be a return back to butchers and more small local meat processing plants. Part of the issue is entire plants are going down which control massive amounts of total meat supply.
My home town told the big meat processors to fuck off when they lobbied the government to consolidate all slaughterhouses to them.

"Safety"
"Easy to regulate"
"Unions"
"Oversight"
"Don't have to have government stooges drive around the province"

All those arguments are done now. The four small abbattoir back home are running fine. Using local labour. My aunt worked at one since she was 16 til about 30. They employ about 70 people. The big ones just air drop Somalis into one giant plant, the other drops Filipinos. Poor fuckers live together 6 to a room on bunks. These companies are full of shit.

Enhanced Eddie

Pelican
Gold Member
One kind of gasoline is unavailable here at the moment. I hope this has nothing to do with these lockdowns and broken supply chains, but it's a little bit worrying.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
I was recommended a protein powder & veggie caps from an Ohio based outfit called Tiger Fitness (www.tigerfitness.com) & ended up trying it. Gotta say the value is actually quite good. Bang for the buck is there if you consider the quantity that you receive. So far have only tried the "ice cream sandwich" flavored whey protein.

The situation at the retail stores in terms of every day staples in this well populated Midwestern metro area is quite hit or miss but like most of you I have gotten by for now. Go to the wrong side of the tracks (some miles away), however, and you're in the jungle. But this was true in many ways even before the pandemic.

Last edited:

Elefant

Has the heyday of mask usage/requirement in the US passed? I'm guessing that it has.

I've got a Chinese factory boss begging me to place an order and willing to work out the logistics/customs. The trouble is that the masks aren't medical grade (I'm told medical grade masks currently cannot leave China re:hoarding) and with the US lifting restrictions, I don't think there's going to be much demand.
Background info: I'm currently based in southern China, not working in foreign trade but would like to start.