Coronavirus & Sports

Nordwand

Woodpecker
The Tour De France will go ahead this year, albeit 2 months behind schedule, at the end of August. It's going to be a long four months until then.

Excalibur

Sparrow
SamuelBRoberts said:
I don't even know who they are, but the idea that the two people in that picture are responsible for spreading a deadly disease by standing in a field together is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Cristiano Ronaldo is the biggest instagram influencer in the world with 190 million followers.

So yes, him not following the rules does influence the behaviors of hundreds of millions which can potentially cause the spread of a deadly disease.

Rob Banks

Kingfisher
Blade Runner said:
Who, at this point, cares what Fauci thinks? Especially about the return of businesses. It's not his decision.
Ah, but it is.

Or, more accurately, it is his (hidden) bosses' decision.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
The NHL is exploring the option of resuming play for the rest of the season at four selected "Hub" sites. One site for each division, teams would be in near "lockdown" isolation self contained within the team's parameters (hotels, training, gameplay) with daily testing.

Host cities would be those with ample ice sheets, nearby hotel capacity and of course not a corona hotspot.

I'm in two minds about no sports.

I certainly miss watching it. Its a nice break from the hardship (escapism) of daily life. And I definitely miss being a part of team sports.

On the other hand, it is good to see the public not giving importance to professional athletes and celebrities in general. This pandemic has shown how desperate they have become for attention.

Last edited:

kel

Kingfisher
I read an article once about sports teams, despite the cringe celebrity worship around them, being one of the last "local" and "real-time" things out there. Globalism has made everywhere the same and everything available for consumption on demand, but still mostly people specifically root for their city's team, and the event is mostly consumed live so you can be a part of the conversation the next day at work.

Still, I just can't get into televised sports, personally.

Yao Ming offers options for Chinese Basketball Association restart

BEIJING -- Yao Ming, the former Houston Rockets star and now president of the Chinese Basketball Association, says the league has three options for resuming the season that has been on hold since Feb. 1 over the coronavirus pandemic.

Yao said the league might play out the full schedule, play a shortened season with some games dropped or end the regular season and go straight to the playoffs based on teams' current standings.

He told state broadcaster CCTV on Sunday that he hoped as much of the season can be played as possible but that public health and fairness were the key considerations. A tournament to restart the season was also being considered if not all scheduled games could be played.

Teams would be isolated in hotels and fans barred from arenas, he said.

In formulating a restart plan, the CBA received advice from a unique source, Yao said. Zhong Nanshan, who heads a national virus control team and is married to a former national player, provided "many useful suggestions," Yao said. "With their help, we are more confident of the CBA's return."

As in most countries, professional sports in China has been largely put on hold during the pandemic. The national football association said last week it would be mandating a temporary 30% to 50% pay cut for all players and hoped to restart competition on a staggered schedule.

HermeticAlly

Woodpecker
Part of me misses baseball, but after how MLB screwed over and scapegoated the Astros, I kinda just want to see it all burn down.

It's hard not to want scorched earth after nearly the entirety of the sport's fandom constantly shrieks, SJW-style, that you're a Badperson if you still like a team that got singled out for engaging in the long-time baseball tradition of breaking the rules and then keeping quiet about it, when every other team in the league would have done the same thing.

Other professional sports? I don't miss them at all. I do think that kids should be able to play them again, though.

Smitty727

Part of me misses baseball, but after how MLB screwed over and scapegoated the Astros, I kinda just want to see it all burn down.

It's hard not to want scorched earth after nearly the entirety of the sport's fandom constantly shrieks, SJW-style, that you're a Badperson if you still like a team that got singled out for engaging in the long-time baseball tradition of breaking the rules and then keeping quiet about it, when every other team in the league would have done the same thing.

Other professional sports? I don't miss them at all. I do think that kids should be able to play them again, though.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I don't remember at time in baseball history where teams had video camera recording the pitches in real time and relaying the info to the batter simultaneously. If you organically steal the signs, more power to you. But to use electronics to do it, when not everybody was doing it. Not cool. And that's not even mentioning the buzzers. You don't find it strange that Altuve was insistent on his teammates not ripping off his jersey in the ALCS? Come on man. And then runs into the dugout to take it off. I mean that's every kids dream to hit a HR to send his team to the WS, and celebrate with his teammates, and he runs in the dugout to hide right after? And then when questioned by Ken Rosenthal after, he was clearly lying. But we can agree to disagree

Last edited:

HermeticAlly

Woodpecker
It may have happened before, it's hard to know because we only know about the team that's been caught doing it. But considering the Giants were using tricks to steal signs back in the 1951, it's likely been happening for a long, long time. The whole thing is really a symptom of MLB not being able to make up their mind when it comes to technology and how it's integrated into the game (and their willingness to look the other way - like with all those pitchers who blatantly use pine tar.) If you let players view footage in the dugout before their at-bat, and let Statcast track the velocity of the third base coach's sneeze, then it's your own darned fault for not also giving the catcher and pitcher a better way to communicate signs. Either way, my feelings on this issue are still a resounding "Meh." If I had things my way I'd banish Statcast and all technology from the game aside maybe from replay cameras, but I know it's a minority opinion.

We can agree to disagree on the severity of sign stealing. I just don't think it's really a big deal and believe the outrage is largely manufactured when you have fans of teams like, say, the Twins upset about this when you'd think they were grateful to the Astros for consistently thrashing the Yankees in the postseason. I'm not convinced it's that helpful either when you can know what pitch is coming and still whiff on it, and it only works until the other team catches on. The biggest change for me is that it made me look at the players differently, and feel somewhat betrayed that they're not exactly who I imagined they were. But let's be real. Sports starts aren't saints, superheroes, or gods. They make dumb mistakes too, and if your favorite player had been on the 2017 Astros he would've shut up about it as well because it's stretching plausibility to think the Astros went out of their way to assemble a roster of baseball's 25 most immoral players.

The "buzzer" stuff, on the other hand, is a silly conspiracy theory (and trust me, I love a good conspiracy theory) that has been consistently disproven, from Beltran's "neice," "buzzers" that were actually confetti and MLB authentication stickers, and Altuve's dislike of jersey-ripping. Chapman didn't throw a high-heat fastball, he threw a crappy slider up in the zone seconds after Altuve saw a similar crappy slider. Don't take my word for it, bad sliders up in the zone are a trademark sign that Chapman is drowning, as you'll see in the video he did the exact same thing against Santana in the 2016 WS and got lucky that it was a fly ball out. No such luck with Altuve, who has been one of the best hitters in baseball for years now.

NBA Poised To Lose $900M In National TV Money Alone If Playoffs Canceled

May 15, 2020 12:38 PM

The NBA will lose approximately $900 million in national television revenue from the playoffs alone if they cancel the remainder of the season, sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic.
The NBA hopes to create a "campus-like" environment to resume the season to at least play the playoffs.
The NBA signed a nine-year, $24 billion television deal with ESPN and TNT in 2014 that reshaped the league's finances.

Sam Amick/The Athletic

Adam Silver Hints NBA Still Plans To Involve All 30 Teams In Restart Of Season

May 15, 2020 12:48 PM

While it remains unclear whether all 30 teams would be involved in the resumption of play, Adam Silver provided a club during a call with general managers on Wednesday.
Sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic that Silver "implored teams that are out of playoff contention to take a holistic view on the matter and remain willing to assist for the greater good, so to speak."
Silver didn't specifically reference Steve Kerr, but it is believed the message was a response to remarks from the Warriors' coach about his team's season being unofficially over.

Sam Amick/The Athletic
NBA Studying Playing Games Next Season With Arenas At 15-20 Percent Capacity

May 15, 2020 6:11 PM

The NBA is studying how teams can get creative and play games next season at 15 percent to 20 percent capacity.
"...Assuming a vaccine isn't coming any time soon, are there things we can do in our arenas where maybe we can't have 19,000 people, but maybe we can have 5,000 people? Maybe we can have 8,000 people? Maybe there are protocols allowing for it?" said Adam Silver during a conference call last week.
Silver prepared players for the possibility of playing the entire 20-21 season without fans in attendance.

Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

MLS Proposes Summer Tournament In Florida Featuring All 26 Teams

The MLS is proposing a summer tournament in Florida featuring all 26 teams beginning in June.
The proposal calls for players and coaches to head to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando to begin training on June 1 with matches beginning three to four weeks later.
One proposed format for the tournament would see the league's teams divided into groups, with each team playing around five games during the group stage.
MLS shut down on March 12nd.
Jeff Carlisle/ESPN
NFL coronavirus: Teams looking into possibility of out-of-state training camps due to COVID-19, per report
Training camp could look a lot different for several teams in 2020

As it stands, the world remains in the grip of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, but some states are beginning to enter Phase 1 of their respective reopening plans. The outbreak initially led to the shutdown and/or suspension of every sport in the US, as local jurisdictions employ varying levels of shelter-in-place orders that also include banning gatherings of more than 10 people. The NFL has mostly dodged the bullet -- considering its season doesn't begin until September -- and while the league is relegated to beginning offseason programs virtually, training camp and the timing of the regular season remain on schedule for now.

It's all still a fluid situation and the NFL has planned for multiple contingencies but if training camps do actually get underway in July, some teams may have to leave home to make it happen. That's a possibility currently being investigated by several clubs, per Albert Breer of SI.com -- the reality being not every state will reopen at the same time or in the same manner.

The good thing is that in the Southern Hemisphere there hasn't been much of a "wave" - it is 2 months into Autumn there. That suggests that the self fulfilling prophecy of a second wave will be far more media propaganda than ever, here in the US.

Either way, there really isn't anything to worry about, but the university system and NCAA is really a bureaucratic/corporate mess par excellence. I wouldn't try to predict anything they do. They are nuts.

I couldn't care less about the stupid and sellout NBA. I just want baseball to resume and it would be nice for the NFL to stick to its plans. Baseball looks promising because all of the complaining has been exposed to be about money, not about "safety" when it really comes down to it.

Last edited:
Either way, there really isn't anything to worry about, but the university system and NCAA is really a bureaucratic/corporate mess par excellence. I wouldn't try to predict anything they do. They are nuts.
The SEC and Big 12 are going to be playing for sure baring some type of massive 2nd wave which is orders of magnitude more deadly than the first wave. WVU's President said that he'd suit up to play this fall if needed. I'm sure the Big 10 and ACC will virtue signal about "safety" as those schools are the type to sniff their own farts a bit, but they'll mostly come along in the end. I could see the Pac 12 canceling though.

Hindu Man

Its so strange watching these Bundesliga matches without fans and whenever they score a goal, the players have to celebrate with social distancing.
Almost looks like a practice match.

Reactions: 911

Jura

Robin
Personally the absence of professionnal sports couldn't have happened at a better time in my life. I've tried for years to cut down on the time I spend watching sportsball and could never really do it. There are a number of important things I have to take care of career-wise this year so this will help tremendously. I've watched a few highlights videos of games being played in front of empty stadiums and that's all I needed to see. No atmosphere = I'm out. I actually pray it stays this way for atleast the next 6 months.