COVID meme thread

EgoDeath

Robin
is this real?
In the sense you are meaning, no. Look at the first one, there is a spelling error, BIPOC=/= BIOPC. It is memetic warfare.

The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is the largest LGBTQ advocacy group and LGBTQ political lobbying organization in the United States.
-
Jewpedia

balybary

Pelican
Nick Kneer was excited to go back to the office. After working from home for about a year and a half, Kneer had missed the camaraderie he had with his co-workers at the Ohio-based university library system where he works as a communications coordinator. He was counting down until he could mingle with students and staff again.

But his excitement quickly faded after the reality of in-person work turned out to be far from what he expected.

Instead, to avoid contracting the delta variant, he ended up locked in a “windowless, cinder block room” — his temporary office — attending most of his meetings via Zoom.

sip-do-i-care.gif

Edek

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Can anyone explain to me why Asians seem to be more compliant than anyone else?
Deep seated superstition.

As Tailgunner said before:

Mask-wearing is an odd Asian cultural phenomenon:

"Meanwhile, the intake of “feng,” or noxious wind, is considered the most potent and common of TCM’s “Six External Causes” of disease. “Think about wind,” says Ching. “It can blow open doors, blow cool air off a body of water to the land surrounding it, or fire from one part of the forest to another. The door analogy relates to TCM’s understanding of how exposure to wind can weaken our body’s defenses.”(Perhaps as a permutation of these ideas, East Asia has numerous ancillary superstitions about air and wind, the most notable of which is a deathly fear of sleeping in rooms with running electric fans, a belief that has its epicenter in Korea, where “fan death” phobia remains rampant even today.)

The bottom line is that in East Asia, the predilection toward using face-coverings to prevent exposure to bad air is something that predates the germ theory of disease, and extends into the very foundations of East Asian culture. In recent years, however, mask-wearing has become rooted in new and increasingly postmodern rationales."

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Can anyone explain to me why Asians seem to be more compliant than anyone else?

Culturally more trusting of authority plus they already did the mask thing 20 years or so ago for SARS. Even before covid it wasn't uncommon to go around any city in east/southeast Asia and see a noticeable number of people wearing masks whether because they felt a bit under the weather that day or just because of pollution or whatever. Frankly I like the idea of encouraging people to wear a real surgical mask if they're actually feeling sick, that's actually helpful to other people and isn't the same as the clown world "wear a mask for as long as we say to, because we said so" nonsense. I have no problem throwing on a mask when I go out if I'm legitimately feeling sick that day.

rockoman

Woodpecker
I've spent a great deal of timr in East Asia (ex-Japan) over the last few years and hardly ever encountered mask-wearing, except very occasionally in polluted cities.

I've been in China in the middle of flu season and seen nobody with a mask.

Since this nonsense started we've seen the myth of Asian mask-wearing promulgated in the West as an attempt to somehow normalize it - "The Asians do it all the time, so why can't we"

The truth is that Asians prefer to breathe freely too.

Denis Ranvourt demolishes the supposed benefits of mask-wearing in these 3 essays:

Batman_

Kingfisher
Culturally more trusting of authority plus they already did the mask thing 20 years or so ago for SARS. Even before covid it wasn't uncommon to go around any city in east/southeast Asia and see a noticeable number of people wearing masks whether because they felt a bit under the weather that day or just because of pollution or whatever. Frankly I like the idea of encouraging people to wear a real surgical mask if they're actually feeling sick, that's actually helpful to other people and isn't the same as the clown world "wear a mask for as long as we say to, because we said so" nonsense. I have no problem throwing on a mask when I go out if I'm legitimately feeling sick that day.
I know that mask-wearing was common before all this, but it doesn't really explain it in America where you have 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen highly Americanized, trendy teenagers doing it with when they're out and about with all their friends. I live in a mid sized city and I see it practically every day.