COVID Passport thread

kel

Ostrich
passport.png

They're definitely coming, everywhere. The only hope is that the rollouts will be a disaster, which they likely will, and people just push on.

Ya'll really thing Bubba is gonna be bothered with a COVID passport to go to the liquor store in Mobile, Alabama for his 30-rack of natty light? Maybe on the coasts, yes, but where I'm from no one is complying; not restaurant owners, not bar owners, not boaters on the lake.

Bars in my home state were illegally open during the whole duration of the COVID thing, the police essentially stood down because they knew all the restrictions were unenforceable.

aynrus

Pelican
Countries like Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia etc are all depopulating. They top some lists for quickest depopulating countries. Additionally with brain drain and guest workers many are leaving for Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc. The brightest are leaving and not coming back. No one has kids, and economic situation is rough. The rural situation is especially dire in places like Bulgaria where whole villages are disappearing and not coming back (kinda like Italy). Planning permission is a double edged sword and in many of these countries there are corrupt bureaucracies where buildings get condemned or torn down without approval. No recourse in the court system for such situations. The mafia operates all sorts of rackets so the people really wielding the power are not the courts or the pols but the mafia. Not a situation you want to be in... There was a notable project in Serbia funded by Qataris where a whole neighborhood was torn down without permission to expedite the project for the Arab investors. No one was ever held accountable and dozens of families lost their homes with no available recourse. It happened in the dead of night with masked men who refused to identify themselves. Keep in mind that was a project done in the capitol.

The first part is awesome.
Means no fierce competition to have a patch of land for a garden or a roof over your head, like in the growing, international airport type of country such as US (in most parts, and well current housing and land boom is insane). Means no parking wars, not having to win a little war to get a campsite or a place to sit in nature park.
I heard even Cambodia was being turned into a boom country (by the Chinese), means good to stay out of such.

The second part (mafia) isn't great. But if you get far out in the boonies it's not likely that Qataris or whoever will want to demolish your house, not for a while at least.

Last edited:

aynrus

Pelican
Ya'll really thing Bubba is gonna be bothered with a COVID passport to go to the liquor store in Mobile, Alabama for his 30-rack of natty light? Maybe on the coasts, yes, but where I'm from no one is complying; not restaurant owners, not bar owners, not boaters on the lake.

Bars in my home state were illegally open during the whole duration of the COVID thing, the police essentially stood down because they knew all the restrictions were unenforceable.
I lived in Mobile.... just pictured Bubba with Covid Passport :D

aynrus

Pelican
Rurally. From what I heard prices in the cities are still going up, at least in Serbia, so I assume elsewhere. I think a big part of this is also that there is little to no planning permission. In Northern Europe house prices are kept high by the fact you can't build houses anywhere. Virtually all new constructions are earmarked by local political slugs and built by large contractors. Gone are the days of the independent builder. In The UK the price of an agricultural acre is about £10,000, while an acre with residential planning/zoning is £1,000,000. Together the affect of mass immigration, zealous planning and juicing people into cities is causing house prices to rise.

Overall, Serbian and most other Eastern European countries populations' are projected to have prolonged and steady decline, just like in Japan.
At least based on Macrotrends website population projection charts.
The capital cities might grow. I'm only interested in rural, and wouldn't want to set a foot in any city other than for occasional rare shopping.
The rural parts - seems like they are not posing interest for development there, at least in most places, thanks God, as soon as they're not near a seashore.
UK is a revolving door, high immigration, growth-oriented, powerful economy type of country with small amount of land, so there're all these building restrictions and high prices of land and all. Sweden and Norway are projected to only have increasing population too.

Last edited:

aynrus

Pelican
Don't worry too much about the damn Covid passport, guys!
Soon it will be replaced by facial recognition AI.
You won't need your smartphone for identification. You face will suffice. This whole QR scanning thing will probably only last for a year or two.
Exactly. AI facial recognition - and it's being widely deployed in Israel and parts of Asia already - will make any phone vaccine passport and even the microchip to be low-tech outdated 'solutions'. The mark on the right hand (phone QR code) will be replaced with the mark on the forehead.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Overall, Serbian and most other Eastern European countries populations' are projected to have prolonged and steady decline, just like in Japan.
At least based on Macrotrends website population projection charts.
The capital cities might grow. I'm only interested in rural, and wouldn't want to set a foot in any city other than for occasional rare shopping.
The rural parts - seems like they are not posing interest for development there, at least in most places, thanks God, as soon as they're not near a seashore.
UK is a revolving door, high immigration, growth-oriented, powerful economy type of country with small amount of land, so there're all these building restrictions and high prices of land and all. Sweden and Norway are projected to only have increasing population too.

I am told in Serbia the situation with apartments in major cities is similar to Western countries. Many people can't hope to own them, at least with their lifestyle choices. Owing to the same trends as in The West, universitification, deruralisation.

However, yes, the rural properties are very cheap. I have been to one village. I would guess it had 200 homes and now has six permanent residents; many of whom won't be around much longer. I was told I could buy one house for 6,000 EUR. It would obviously have cost a lot more to build it new. I have a home in Serbia that I bought for 6,000 EUR. Quite a lot smaller than the aforementioned as it is in the wealthier, more desired north. But I suspect it would cost double that to build it.

I suspect it is the same in other EE countries.

Have you got a country in mind?

I am told in Serbia the situation with apartments in major cities is similar to Western countries. Many people can't hope to own them, at least with their lifestyle choices. Owing to the same trends as in The West, universitification, deruralisation.

However, yes, the rural properties are very cheap. I have been to one village. I would guess it had 200 homes and now has six permanent residents; many of whom won't be around much longer. I was told I could buy one house for 6,000 EUR. It would obviously have cost a lot more to build it new. I have a home in Serbia that I bought for 6,000 EUR. Quite a lot smaller than the aforementioned as it is in the wealthier, more desired north. But I suspect it would cost double that to build it.

My friend bought an apartment in Belgrade for $10k... I don't know anything more, but sounds pretty affordable.

aynrus

Pelican

Can you get a bit of agricultural land there, owned or leased, like a hectare at least? Aside from a patch around the house, for a good sized garden and some pasture for a couple of animals.
In Serbia, much of it is earthquake zones, and a lot of older rural houses were built from bricks not having frame reinforcement, something to watch out for. Newer construction would be more earthquake-resistant, 12K EUR to build is such a small amount compared to what it'd cost to build a tiny shack in the States....
I'm going to visit Belarus and see what's going on. I'd lived in so many places, being nomadic - I know it's about taking a look at the place in person to know if you can stay there or not, not something that can be described online or shown in the videos.

Tippy

Robin
Sometimes I ask myself, 'what would Jesus do?'

If resisting all this leads to nothing but alienation, is this the correct choice? If this makes me a less effective son, a member who cannot take part in community activities...is this right?

I feel God within me calling the evil of all this to my attention. But I cannot easily find an answer to these difficult questions.

The first part is awesome.
Means no fierce competition to have a patch of land for a garden or a roof over your head, like in the growing, international airport type of country such as US (in most parts, and well current housing and land boom is insane). Means no parking wars, not having to win a little war to get a campsite or a place to sit in nature park.
I heard even Cambodia was being turned into a boom country (by the Chinese), means good to stay out of such.

The second part (mafia) isn't great. But if you get far out in the boonies it's not likely that Qataris or whoever will want to demolish your house, not for a while at least.
The outlook in the Balkans is becoming negative. These places are becoming Chinese client states. The best people, ie the next generation of leaders, have left, which shows you the vote of confidence people have for their homeland. Ergo, bad prospects, only getting worse.

I assume you're posting this in good faith, but for all the trouble of foreign property ownership, lawyers, tricky government officials lack of rule of law and the discernible lack of development and infrastructure in rural balkans, you can have a place in Kansas, iowa or your pick of flyover state for 100k with no of the downsides of corrupt leaders, severe lockdowns and lack of broadband access. So I really wonder why everyone says their dream place is in eastern Europe. Don't even get me started about how crappy Eastern Europeans treat their environment.

aynrus

Pelican
The outlook in the Balkans is becoming negative. These places are becoming Chinese client states. The best people, ie the next generation of leaders, have left, which shows you the vote of confidence people have for their homeland. Ergo, bad prospects, only getting worse.

I assume you're posting this in good faith, but for all the trouble of foreign property ownership, lawyers, tricky government officials lack of rule of law and the discernible lack of development and infrastructure in rural balkans, you can have a place in Kansas, iowa or your pick of flyover state for 100k with no of the downsides of corrupt leaders, severe lockdowns and lack of broadband access. So I really wonder why everyone says their dream place is in eastern Europe. Don't even get me started about how crappy Eastern Europeans treat their environment.

I'm very familiar with any issues in Eastern Europe, being from there myself.

I'm very familiar with Kansas and Iowa. Tornados, expensive homes compared to EE and for an immigrant outsider it's not easy to be there, mentally.
Summer humid eat is very brutal in KS/IA.
I assume you're posting in good faith about Iowa and Kansas...

I don't need development and infrastructure, in fact want to get away from them.
And I like free/cheap healthcare options in EE too.

Regarding severe lockdowns - there're no severe lockdowns or enforcements of them in much of rural EE. Broadband access in rural Kansas or Iowa....not much luck on that one in most places, in most of rural Midwest it'll be satellite.

Last edited:
Lol free/cheap healthcare in EE made me laugh. No thanks.

There was a five day total lockdown as recently as March in Serbia. Thus I would maintain the measures taken there are harsher than equivalent measures in most of the US.

aynrus

Pelican
Shoulda gone to an urgent care woulda been a few hundred dollars most likely. At least it's not necessary to bribe American doctors to get treatment.
Shoulda... please don't speak of health issues you don't know about, and they don't do scans in urgent care, urgent care is limited to few little things. Good luck bribing your American $1000/hour doctor for vaxx passport. And basic health insurance here costs much more than any bribes out there.

Bruh I'm not traveling.

Serbian citizens have been paying on average 74 euro (US$81.6) in bribes last year, mostly to health workers, showed a study the Serbian Prevention and Fight Against Corruption Project conducted among 1,000 citizens.

“Citizens generally criticize the corruption in the health sector with 70% of them admitting that bribery and corruption have been the cancer of healthcare,” the poll showed.

Doctors and the administration of the State Health Insurance Fund are seen as the most corrupt...

Most functional health system in all of Europe... Well, at least some of the doctors and nurses are hot.