Covid travel restrictions for entering the USA

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
As a general rule, land borders are far less onerous to cross.

The last time I crossed into Mexico by land about 4 years ago, you don't even interact with any border agents. If you paid the 25 cent toll to cross the bridge, then boom you are in Mexico (if you drive across there are lanes with border guards and they do ask for a passport as they want to regulate the motor vehicles entering). Coming back to the US yes they ask for ID but it's extremely casual and typically you just walk past a guy at a desk.

As I posted above, you can enter via land borders without a covid test, so I would imagine you could also enter without a jab. But also as I posted above, the law means nothing to them, so beware.

jeffinjapan

Robin
Orthodox
They’ll likely enforce it via an app like the one they use in Japan that you’ll have to download to your mobile phone with gps location turned on.
Our priest ignores this. When he returned to Japan from Romania a few months back, I asked him if he could come hear my confession and give me the Eucharist after his quarantine (I was sick with Covid induced pneumonia), his response was, “I don’t do quarantines.” He was at my house the next day.

Don Quixote

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
The next goal now that vaccines are available for people of all ages, is to put restrictions on (at least) domestic air travel within the U.S. Whether this will take the form of mandating the vaccine or allowing for a negative test at least at first, I don't know, but for sure that is the agenda.

Insufficientfunds

Pigeon
Other Christian
Our priest ignores this. When he returned to Japan from Romania a few months back, I asked him if he could come hear my confession and give me the Eucharist after his quarantine (I was sick with Covid induced pneumonia), his response was, “I don’t do quarantines.” He was at my house the next day.
Is it just a bluff by the Japanese government? The entry process to Japan (that used to be less of a hassle than crossing the border to Canada) is absolutely horrible! It’s worse than it was last year!

You have to show paperwork at about 10 different stations then you have to sign a pledge that you will honor the 14 day required quarrantine at the location you sepecify on your pledge. They also required my (Japanese)wife and I to download an app that checked up on us 3 times a day, once with a photo to prove it’s really you. Then you have a pass a covid test (a spit test so not that bad). It states on the pledge that legal action can be taken against you, including the revocation of your visa if you violate the quarantine.

Your priest just thumbed his nose at that and ignored it, without any consequences? Also, may I ask what a Romanian priest is doing in Japan?

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
The land borders and ferry terminals into the USA will be closing for the unvaxxed from January 2022. Entry by air is already tightened :

Individuals engaged in essential travel will not be required to be vaccinated at this time. Starting in January 2022, however, all inbound non-U.S. persons crossing U.S. land POEs or ferry terminals – whether for essential or non-essential reasons – must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide related proof of vaccination.

Does not really help me but maybe there is someone who has the opportunity to use a remaining loophole till the New Year.

Geo Martin

Woodpecker
Catholic
Now you can, now you cannot. Now you go out, now you stay in. The incoherency is staggering and by design to confuse everyone. No doubt we are in the middle of a psych war. Now in the UK is pretty much 'over' from tomorrow monday, no masks, no jab pass required by govt but as businesses individual choice, except for public transport. So in a shoop no, on a bus yes...why? Just because.
Skeptical about their ulterior intentions though but that's their more right now.

BeatUpTruck

Sparrow
Other Christian
I asked in the passport thread but here it is again - does anyone know the rules for entering the USA by a marine point of entry in a private vessel? The articles I’ve read state that the vax pass is required for land borders and ferry terminals.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Ask the horse

Are you a US citizen or legal resident ( “green card“ holder)? If so it doesnt matter as you cant be denied reentry to your own country

If on non resident visa then proof of jab is required.

Maritime entry is a broad topic but basically a vessels captain / master is responsible for complying with regulations/ laws. One the requirements is they are supposed to report anchorage or docking in US territory immediately and declare who is on board and pertinent info such as status. If they dont they face harsh penalties ( fines , prison, loss of license).
If thry bring someone who can not legally enter then they are responsible for taking them back to where they came from ( just like airlines. This is why they check passports BEFORE departure. Not because they care about passengers legal status per se but they do care if they have to put that ass back in a seat for return on their own dime)

A captain/ boat owner that would risk violating serious laws so they would require major compensation Id assume

Geo Martin

Woodpecker
Catholic
Ask the horse

Are you a US citizen or legal resident ( “green card“ holder)? If so it doesnt matter as you cant be denied reentry to your own country

I bet the likes of Klaus 'anal' Swab don't require either. Or if you cross the border as an illegal terms and conditions do not apply.

BeatUpTruck

Sparrow
Other Christian
Ask the horse

Maritime entry is a broad topic but basically a vessels captain / master is responsible for complying with regulations/ laws. One the requirements is they are supposed to report anchorage or docking in US territory immediately and declare who is on board and pertinent info such as status. If they dont they face harsh penalties ( fines , prison, loss of license).
If thry bring someone who can not legally enter then they are responsible for taking them back to where they came from ( just like airlines. This is why they check passports BEFORE departure. Not because they care about passengers legal status per se but they do care if they have to put that ass back in a seat for return on their own dime)

A captain/ boat owner that would risk violating serious laws so they would require major compensation Id assume
The very first paragraph of that article states what I already did - vax required for land ports of entry and ferry terminals - it says nothing of marine points of entry.

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
The very first paragraph of that article states what I already did - vax required for land ports of entry and ferry terminals - it says nothing of marine points of entry.
I suppose a boat just turning up on a beach would be a no-go but "ferry terminal" is one category of mooring.

There are also :
  • private marina
  • ore dock
  • container terminal
Probably more, I am not a boating expert. Willing to become more knowledgable about it if it helps with this however. Could it be that only a ferry terminal has those rules and private marina does not?

Unless you work on a container ship, not sure if entering through a container terminal will be a possibility, but private marina perhaps, with a water taxi or private boat. Just not sure what is permitted..

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I explained the requirements of marine entry as a former boat owner that made dozens of trips to and from international ports (Miami to Bahamas, Caymans, etc,). You cant just show up without the risk of being in violation (and youre boat seized if you do something illegal like try to bring in an undocumented alien) . If youre in international waters you can be damn sure that USCG knows youre there and being tracked as soon as you break the Internationale waters mark

Thats said Ill repeat:

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
I explained the requirements of marine entry as a former boat owner that made dozens of trips to and from international ports (Miami to Bahamas, Caymans, etc,). You cant just show up without the risk of being in violation (and youre boat seized if you do something illegal like try to bring in an undocumented alien) .
Oh well will have to make the most of the Bahamas or perhaps another island then.. Should be a fair number of Americans travelling there. Caymans is closed to the unvaccinated. Does not sound like a "pleasure boat" brings any special pleasure in this case unfortunately.

BeatUpTruck

Sparrow
Other Christian
I explained the requirements of marine entry as a former boat owner that made dozens of trips to and from international ports (Miami to Bahamas, Caymans, etc,). You cant just show up without the risk of being in violation (and youre boat seized if you do something illegal like try to bring in an undocumented alien) . If youre in international waters you can be damn sure that USCG knows youre there and being tracked as soon as you break the Internationale waters mark

Thats said Ill repeat:

I’m not convinced.

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
Florida page : https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/pleasure-boat-locations/fl

What information is needed when calling​

Vessel masters must provide the following information:
  • Name, date of birth and citizenship of all persons on board (including passport number)
  • Name of the boat and/or boat registration number
  • CBP user fee decal number (if 30 feet or longer)
  • Home port and current location
  • Contact number
If there is a loophole it would be smart to enjoy it not post about it in too much detail. During this pseudopandemic I've been surprised at times I've gotten through to places I shouldn't have etc. Once turned up in France, had to fill out a form and basically left most of the important stuff blank and handed it in and nobody cared. Once I turned up in the UK expecting a royal grilling from immigration why aren't you vaccinated etc and they just asked a few questions, smiled and stamped my passport.

Of course there are some hard closures. There is the letter of the law but who knows exactly what goes on at the marinas and with the coast guard at the moment. Hopefully some folks there are turning a blind eye to it all a bit and letting people just move around like normal and get on with normality.