Covid travel restrictions for entering the USA

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
As a general rule, land borders are far less onerous to cross.

The last time I crossed into Mexico by land about 4 years ago, you don't even interact with any border agents. If you paid the 25 cent toll to cross the bridge, then boom you are in Mexico (if you drive across there are lanes with border guards and they do ask for a passport as they want to regulate the motor vehicles entering). Coming back to the US yes they ask for ID but it's extremely casual and typically you just walk past a guy at a desk.

As I posted above, you can enter via land borders without a covid test, so I would imagine you could also enter without a jab. But also as I posted above, the law means nothing to them, so beware.

jeffinjapan

Sparrow
Orthodox
They’ll likely enforce it via an app like the one they use in Japan that you’ll have to download to your mobile phone with gps location turned on.
Our priest ignores this. When he returned to Japan from Romania a few months back, I asked him if he could come hear my confession and give me the Eucharist after his quarantine (I was sick with Covid induced pneumonia), his response was, “I don’t do quarantines.” He was at my house the next day.

Don Quixote

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
The next goal now that vaccines are available for people of all ages, is to put restrictions on (at least) domestic air travel within the U.S. Whether this will take the form of mandating the vaccine or allowing for a negative test at least at first, I don't know, but for sure that is the agenda.

Our priest ignores this. When he returned to Japan from Romania a few months back, I asked him if he could come hear my confession and give me the Eucharist after his quarantine (I was sick with Covid induced pneumonia), his response was, “I don’t do quarantines.” He was at my house the next day.
Is it just a bluff by the Japanese government? The entry process to Japan (that used to be less of a hassle than crossing the border to Canada) is absolutely horrible! It’s worse than it was last year!

You have to show paperwork at about 10 different stations then you have to sign a pledge that you will honor the 14 day required quarrantine at the location you sepecify on your pledge. They also required my (Japanese)wife and I to download an app that checked up on us 3 times a day, once with a photo to prove it’s really you. Then you have a pass a covid test (a spit test so not that bad). It states on the pledge that legal action can be taken against you, including the revocation of your visa if you violate the quarantine.

Your priest just thumbed his nose at that and ignored it, without any consequences? Also, may I ask what a Romanian priest is doing in Japan?

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Gold Member
The land borders and ferry terminals into the USA will be closing for the unvaxxed from January 2022. Entry by air is already tightened :

Individuals engaged in essential travel will not be required to be vaccinated at this time. Starting in January 2022, however, all inbound non-U.S. persons crossing U.S. land POEs or ferry terminals – whether for essential or non-essential reasons – must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide related proof of vaccination.

Does not really help me but maybe there is someone who has the opportunity to use a remaining loophole till the New Year.