Covington Catholic Collegiate Boys DC stand off with Native & Black Hebrew Protesters

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
I reckon the media lobby or whatever it calls itself is exerting pressure onc ertain individuals who have sway over things like this. They dont want to be sued by thousands of people after this case is settled.

They want to be free to slander and ridicule any private citizen if they're caught out in public.

66Scorpio

Woodpecker
Apparently WaPo gets to skate because they didn't name names. They were hyperbolic and ultimately incorrect on the facts reported, but that is still protected speech.

I have a problem with each of these. First is that Sandman's smirking, punchable face is everywhere and I suspect it was prominently displayed in the Wapo article (although I am not sure of that). If so, what logic says that you can publish a person's mug, talk shit about them, and then escape a defamation accusation because you didn't specifically name him?

Second is questioning what amounts to malice. I don't know a lot about US defamation law but my understanding is that you can talk shit and be wrong as long as there was not "malice". So an honest mistake is one thing but going after someone and purposefully lying about them is another. The kid wasn't a public figure (until the media made him one) and pretty much everyone right of centre figures that it was <i>narrative uber alles</i>, and the facts be damned. Here's young white male Trump supporters and an Indian, let's get the white kids! Is that malice? What about willful blindness or gross negligence as to the facts? I'm not sure how that works.

For what it's worth, the judge is a Carter appointee, about 80 years old, and perhaps past his best before date.

BlastbeatCasanova

Kingfisher
I was just thinking the other day how this huge story kind faded away, like most big stories. With the news cycle being so fast and everyone having 24/7 info/news blasted at them, it's just a constant stream.

But damn, can we get some justice? This shit looking like it's not going to pan out, Jussie Smollet case fading from public memory and him probably getting off easy, Epstein probably going to get off, I mean damn. Not trying to be a downer but it's discouraging, I want to see these people pay for their crimes.

beta_plus

Pelican
RE: Covington Catholic Collegiate Boys DC stand off with Native & Black Hebrew Pro...

MrLemon said:
spokepoker said:
pitbullowner said:
NoMoreTO said:
Washington Post is suit dismissed.

Lawsuits against CNN & MSNBC still pending.

[video=youtub[/MEDIA]
Dismissed ????? For what ????

Supposedly because it was the washington posts' "protected free speech" to dox kids.
Or the judge got a nice big christmas bonus.

Fuck.

Judge William Odis Bertelsman was nominated by Democrat Jimmy Carter.

Easy_C

Peacock
Tim Pool's summary was great.

As he accurately stated, Washington Post literally won this story on the grounds that they didn't report any facts.

CaptainS

Hummingbird
RE: Covington Catholic Collegiate Boys DC stand off with Native & Black Hebrew Pro...

The National Review issued a non-apology that's sickening. A. He never says he was wrong, just that he was excessive. B. He never says he's sorry, just that he regrets writing it.

Liberal papers gave better apologies.

Early Sunday morning, I posted a “strongly worded” (Rich Lowry’s description) condemnation of the conduct, seen far and wide on video, of a group of high-school students at the conclusion of the March for Life on Friday afternoon. I was preachy and rhetorically excessive, and I regret it. The overheated post I wrote has been taken down. Let this apology stand in its stead, both here on the Corner and in the memory of readers who justifiably objected to my high-handedness.

The kid's own bishop gave a half-assed apology. And the pro-gay bishop of Lexington didn't even apologize! He says he has nothing to apologize for because the kids wore MAGA hats and ORANGE MAN BAD!

Days of Broken Arrows

Crow
Gold Member

Buck Wild said:
Sucks for the public interest that they settled...but it was probably the right decision for Nick and his family.

There is good and bad here. The bad is easy to discern: It's not a clear-cut victory.

But the good is that for CNN to settle, their team(s) of lawyers had to realize they had a big chance of ultimately losing in court. Which means there was deliberate malice involved. For details, see the classic 1980 movie "Absence of Malice," which is a good look into journalistic practices.

What it comes down to is this. Libel cannot be committed against public figures because if it could, then reporters wouldn't be able to criticize politicians or review movies without threats of lawsuits.

But libel can be committed against ordinary citizens who didn't ask for a spotlight. The current "cancel culture" generation doesn't seem to know this. When reporters do this, that's called "malice" because it means their intent was bad. A settlement means their lawyers realized this (since they evidently didn't).

It was one thing when such smears occurred on social media. But reporters seem to have forgotten that regular media is not social media. And if you tarnish the reputations of ordinary citizens, you can be held accountable by your company.

So, in that sense, this settlement is good. No one likes to lose money and having to settle will force all media sites to vet their stories better. Since about 2014, reporters have been writing these kinds of stories as if they're part of a Twitter pile-on instead of meant for actual news Web sites. This might put an end to that.

I just hope CNN fired the reporter who broke this non-story and cost them millions of dollars in lawyer's fees and settlement payments.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member

Days of Broken Arrows said:
So, in that sense, this settlement is good. No one likes to lose money and having to settle will force all media sites to vet their stories better. Since about 2014, reporters have been writing these kinds of stories as if they're part of a Twitter pile-on instead of meant for actual news Web sites. This might put an end to that.

I just hope CNN fired the reporter who broke this non-story and cost them millions of dollars in lawyer's fees and settlement payments.

Since news is no longer first and foremost about accurately reporting facts but rather about being the first to feed the outrage monster the most then I doubt this will be anything more than an item in the calculated loss ratio on their balance sheet.

Journalistic integrity is an obsolete luxury item

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
It's good for the young man but it's a shame you yanks can't know how much he got nor get a precedent ruling that would make future cases easier to win.

I think if victims and lawyers realised they could get an easy payday out of these bastards then either the abuse would stop or at very least they would have to start paying through the nose for their cultural warfare.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
1 down, more to go!

"Nicholas Sandmann agreed to settle with the Post because the Post was quick to publish the whole truth—through its follow-up coverage and editor's notes," Sandmann's attorney, Todd McMurtry, said in an email. "The terms of the settlement are confidential."m

Sandmann celebrated the settlement on Twitter.
"Thanks to my family & millions of you who have stood your ground by supporting me," Sandmann tweeted. "I still have more to do."

... Sandmann also filed lawsuits against several other news organizations, including CNN.

Washington Post - CNN Business Article

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
"Putting leftist media to sleep since 2019"

Nicholas, you can thank me later --- and bring me a dream. Keep up the good work with Mr. Lin Wood. Well done.